PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Junaid On The Jirga

slapout9
06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Link to Jirga interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbf4eVuV7o&playnext_from=TL&videos=AQ9htGJfdTw&feature=sub

Bob's World
06-20-2010, 02:17 PM
This is actually a pretty savvy assessment in most regards IMO. (Ignore the reporter)

slapout9
06-20-2010, 02:59 PM
(Ignore the reporter)

I usually do, but they have some good stuff on there channel.

Bob's World
06-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Note the discussion about creating truly representative participation in the Jirga. I'd love to see a discussion between Junaid and MG Nick Carter in regards to his efforts and thinking behind working to make creating such representation at such forums one of his top priorities as the Coalition Commander in Kandahar.

slapout9
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Note the discussion about creating truly representative participation in the Jirga. I'd love to see a discussion between Junaid and MG Nick Carter in regards to his efforts and thinking behind working to make creating such representation at such forums one of his top priorities as the Coalition Commander in Kandahar.

Hot off the press!so to speak,here is part 2 of the interview.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=5302

Bob's World
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
His one assessment that was way off mark was that the Coalition is working to destabilze and disrupt the local Shura system. In fact, the opposite is true. Not only to reinforce the system, but also to penetrate the GIROA tendency to only draw from their supporters for larger Jirgas, and to the degree possible, to work to get broader representation into these forums.

Infanteer
06-20-2010, 05:05 PM
His one assessment that was way off mark was that the Coalition is working to destabilze and disrupt the local Shura system. In fact, the opposite is true. Not only to reinforce the system, but also to penetrate the GIROA tendency to only draw from their supporters for larger Jirgas, and to the degree possible, to work to get broader representation into these forums.

Agreed. The number one type of operation we conducted was affectionately known as "Advance to Shura". In some places, routine Shuras were established to ensure continual dialogue between ANSF/ISAF and the locals. One of the key things to remember is that there are two Shuras. The public ones with us outsiders and an audience and all the bells and whistles where everything said has already been decided upon and the "backroom ones" where the key elders get together and make the real decisions. Like any society though, backrooms have leaks and myself and the ANA Commander would constantly engage locals to find out what direction the elders would take, ensuring we headed into a Shura prepared.

It took a few months, but by the end I could go an hour without having to uncross my legs. Standing up still required great effort though....