PDA

View Full Version : Army Combined Arms Center (CAC)

DDilegge
11-04-2005, 08:02 AM
From the 4 Nov. Washington Times - Inside the Ring (http://www.washtimes.com/national/inring.htm). Excerpt follows:

"The Army Combined Arms Center (CAC) at Fort Leavenworth... One rite of passage is for each officer to complete a research paper"

"But over the years, the CAC products became too narrow and not necessarily geared toward challenges facing the Army..."

"The 'list' was the idea of Gen. William Webster, the CAC commander... He set up a senior editorial review board to come up with a list of topics that actually could help soldiers in the field..."

"Some of the 36 topics on this year's list: 'Cultural Awareness in U.S. Military: How Shortfalls in Past Conflicts Can Be Attributed to Lack of Cross-Cultural Capabilities'; 'Intel Operations in Urban Operations'; 'Case Studies: Training Indigenous Forces — Successes and Failures'; and 'Continuing Russian Lessons Learned in Chechnya.'

"Here's a topic that fits the ongoing war in Iraq: Defining Victory in the Aftermath of a Successful Campaign: Convincing the Enemy to Accept Defeat."

Tom Odom
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
From the 4 Nov. Washington Times - Inside the Ring (http://www.washtimes.com/national/inring.htm). Excerpt follows:

"The 'list' was the idea of Gen. William Webster, the CAC commander... He set up a senior editorial review board to come up with a list of topics that actually could help soldiers in the field..."
"

I think they got the name wrong. Now GEN William Wallace and current TRADOC commander was then LTG William Wallace and CAC Commander.

But the topics list is a good idea, especially if it is used as a guide and not a prescription. I sat on MMAS boards for 3 years as a history faculty member, completed an MMAS as a student, and have sat on commitees long distance in this job.

I also tell every officer headed toward Leavenworth to seize the opportunity to earn a Masters via this program. So if you read this post and you have this opportunity, take it in hand!

Best,
Tom