PDA

View Full Version : London Times Equates Treason With Bravery

SWJED
08-27-2006, 08:50 AM
That's my title, this 27 August London Times' commentary title is You Wouldn’t Catch me Dead in Iraq (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-2318643,00.html).

I won't waste the space here by excerpting comments by these traitors. This is an example of MSM bias and the IO challenge we face - even in the Western press.

carl
08-28-2006, 02:33 PM
re: "the IO challenge we face"

In order to meet the challenge, it might be useful for the Army to invite the author/authors to view the full service record of the people quoted and allow them to interview the men in the units they ran from. This would give the readers of the story both sides and allow them to judge for themselves. If the author is not receptive to this, the Army should do it on its own and forward the results via a letter to the editor.

Regardless of the bias of this newspaper, a lot of people are going to read and believe this story and an effort should be made to tell them the whole truth.

Steve Blair
08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
The larger issue is that many media outlets would not believe the Army records, since they are conditioned to believe that the military will lie to them in order to cover its own backside. This has been encouraged by past behavior on the part of the military in response to scandals or PR issues, but as always it takes two to play this kind of game.

The danger with a letter to the editor is that it may not be published or it may be "edited for space" and thus recast in a different light from its original intent.

Sorry if I seem a bit skeptical about the MSM, but they've had DECADES of practice doing this kind of spin and are very good at it.

Merv Benson
08-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Blogs have become the bain of editors for the very reason that Steve points out in his comments about letters to the editor. Blogs were able to uncover the fake photos and other media frauds associated witht he Hezballah way of war and they keep coming up with details that do not fit the media storyline. The military should embrace blogs as a way of getting the truth past the bias and filters of the main stream media.

If you are thinking, this post was spoken like a real blogger, you are right. Blogs are just one part of the alternative media, and we should not overlook others who have an interest in getting the facts out.

carl
08-29-2006, 04:24 PM
"There is a way."

If not through the newspaper that published the story, then the Army/USMC should contact their competitor with an invitation to look where they want and talk to whomever. Or, make the invite to a US newspaper and they could confront the Times with their findings. Or, Bloggers to the rescue.

The main point is this kind of story can't go unchallenged just because it won't be easy.

Bill Moore
08-30-2006, 03:28 AM
The article could be damning if it gets traction, and I don't know if it will or not. It is definitely starting to get some traction on this site. I recommend letting sleeping dogs lie. People who are in the anti-war camp will see it as a supporting argument, those in the pro-war or sitting on the fence will see it as a microcoism of reality that will not persuade their opinion. The incidents are probably at least partly true, and when compiled into one article it appears damning, but I think most people will see right through it. I noted the author put the actual combat vets up front, then worked his way down to the really weak sisters who never went at all. When put it in the context of history this isn't that big of deal, as we have always had deserters in all of our conficts, to include thousands during the WWII. This article points out less than 10, and some are self described turds. Others went, lost heart, and deserted.

So I go back to my title, what are you going to challenge? The facts are probably true, the opinion that they are heros is strictly "and clearly" the author's opinion, not a fact. Again I recommend letting sleeping dogs lie. We have a hard enough time managing IO without dragging this into the limelight. The brave deeds or our fighting men and women in Iraq speak for themselves. Hell, we even have heros who have lost a limb and fought to stay in the Army, and now are back in combat. They believe, those interviewed for this article didn't. Let it go...