PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Leaders Blast Pope's Comments

SWJED
09-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Much in the news yesterday and today. Pope Benedict XVI's "offending" comments were his quotes of Byzantine Christian Emperor Manuel II Paleologos on Islam:

"Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

"God is not pleased by blood -- and not acting reasonably is contrary to God's nature. Faith is born of the soul, not the body. Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats."

Here is the Washington Post's (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/15/AR2006091500800.html) latest on this.

SSG Rock
09-15-2006, 07:59 PM
It is my understanding that the Moors (Berbers) invaded and conquered Spain (or a large part of it) and ruled there for centuries, and when the Spanish fought back, more muslims arrived from the region of Morocco and tried to stamp out Christianity. Islam had been invading parts of Europe long before the Christian Crusades. And one could logically make the argument that in part, the Christian Crusades were a reaction to the violent expansion of Islam in Europe.

Also, as I understand it. The Quran is based on the bible, updated with the blank spots filled in. And IMO with alot of vengence and violence thrown it for good measure.

The Pope merely repeated a previous Pope's commentary on Islam, and it is an opinion I'm inclined to agree with by the way. I've been reading the Quran lately and while I don't profess to understand all of it, I can tell you that chapter 9 is chalk full of talk about making war on and punishing non-muslims. I'm not sure in what context I'm supposed to be reading it in, but it is most certainly mentions violence more than the bible does.

RTK
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Further proof that extremist IO campaigns are much stronger than anything else out there right now. Unfortunately, the Pope will have to consequently relook his security posture because of it.