PDA

View Full Version : Which is better for you?

SWCAdmin
09-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Working on some site additions for SWJ, and need some rudder from our members....

For buying books, do you like Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, doesn't matter?

Reason for asking...
1) Not many folks are buying books (or anything else) through our links.
2) We get a small cut when you do. Not our reason for existence, but doesn't hurt.
3) Will be working to make relevant "buy me" links are available to you as we add some content and redesign the site.
4) Don't want to do any more work building links, or hog any more screen space for commercial purposes, but don't want to keep losing money or not serving you well, either.
5) I know BN offers local pick-up that Amazon doesn't. Want to see if anyone cares.

FYI:
- Selling books is not the focus of our re-design. Our main intent is to get the Daily Links and all the research library stuff into a more user-friendly, searchable, etc. container.
- When you buy ANYTHING at Amazon (not just books) by clicking through our page, we get a little cut and you don't pay any more. Please help us out that way.

Stu-6
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I use Amazon more but I would be willing to use either. I actually do try to buy through sites like this when I think about it, just as show of support.

marct
09-19-2006, 08:30 PM
I have a tendency to buy from local book stores or, if I have to get it online, via Chapters.ca or Indigo.ca. I doubt that really helps since there aren't many of us Canucks here :).

Marc

Bowman
09-19-2006, 11:41 PM
I get most of my books through MCA bookstore . Haven't really looked at Amazon or Barnes.

selil
09-20-2006, 04:09 AM
I'm not aware of the corporate structure of small wars journal or the funding methods. If buying through Amazon helps pay to keep the lights on.. Ok.

SWCAdmin
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm not aware of the corporate structure of small wars journal or the funding methods. If buying through Amazon helps pay to keep the lights on.. Ok.
Selil,
Structure is Dave + Bill, formed as an LLC so houses aren't lost if someone gets pissed off and sues. Funding is their wallets.
-- Center of Gravity is not the structure, but the coalition of the willing and able.
-- Critical Vulnerability is not the lights, but the wives who see the small but sustained outflow.

selil
09-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Selil,
Structure is Dave + Bill, formed as an LLC so houses aren't lost if someone gets pissed off and sues. Funding is their wallets.
-- CG is not the structure, but the coalition of the willing and able.
-- CV is not the lights, but the wives who see the small but sustained outflow.

So.. Keep it simple for me....

I have a personal library of like 4000+ books. Besides the hundreds given to me as a professor I buy my "off topic" books. Buying SMJ type books through links here helps?

SWCAdmin
09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes.

Buying ANYTHING, not just books, through our links to Amazon gives us a referrer fee. No additional cost to you, it's a cut out of Amazon's profits. Links are on the right side of any of the pages in SWJ, or at the bottom of the Support (http://www.smallwarsjournal.com/site/support.htm)page. Will also drop one in here at SWC, out of the way, next time I update the vBulletin software.

Based on this poll, unless the B&N coalition ways in heavily soon, looks like we'll continue to link any "buy a book" or other stuff just to Amazon.

B&N folks, still love you, in an inclusive but pragmatic (and platonic!) way. Will create a link to BN via that Support (http://www.smallwarsjournal.com/site/support.htm) page, in case you have the burning urge to order online then run down to your local brick & mortar retailer for a pick-up.

Love the local book stores, too. If you do opt out of clicking through us, please consider buying there from Mom & Pop. But...they don't offer Weber Summit Platinum C Gas Grills, iPods, and Canon SD700 Digital Elphs to go along with your DVD of the Battle of Algiers and latest harcopy of Fiasco, and they don't give us an opportunity to link to them (or backhand us a cut). So that will have to stay your individual effort.

Thanks for the intel.