PDA

View Full Version : Canada troops battle 10-ft Afghan marijuana plants

marct
10-13-2006, 01:50 PM
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants in
Afghanistan have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of 10-feet (three metre) high marijuana plants.

Source: Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_canada_marijuana;_ylt=ApkBKVyNbbhU2ycJEbq l7q5vaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM)

Well, I really have to wonder what type of training would be appropriate for this situation;) .

Marc

Steve Blair
10-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Don't inhale?:eek:

Jedburgh
10-13-2006, 02:39 PM
...The challenge is that marijuana plants absorb energy, heat very readily. It's very difficult to penetrate with thermal devices...
It does present a unique challenge. I would like to know the true extent of these "forests".

But some parts of the article just cry out for pictures:

...the crew of at least one armored car had camouflaged their vehicle with marijuana. :D

marct
10-13-2006, 02:44 PM
But some parts of the article just cry out for pictures:
:D

Oh, too true! It's too bad that Hillier just put in a new policy that doesn't allow any forces member to post pictures online <sigh.....>.

Of course, later on in the dry season, there are some interesting tactical possibilities.....

Marc

Steve Blair
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh, too true! It's too bad that Hillier just put in a new policy that doesn't allow any forces member to post pictures online <sigh.....>.

Of course, later on in the dry season, there are some interesting tactical possibilities.....

Marc

Possibilities and problems....I can just hear the orders now to don gas masks while advancing through burning fields....

marct
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Possibilities and problems....I can just hear the orders now to don gas masks while advancing through burning fields....

Yeah. On a slightly more serious note, I really wonder a) how they got there and b) what strain they are. One of my friends is an Afghan MD and she has told me that a lot of the medicines used are herbal/biologicals. Since pot is an excellent analgesic, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this "forest" is someones "factory". If it is a local, i.e. non-Taliban, "factory", then the best thing that could be done is to leave it alone. After all, the PR impact could be terrible - a "Canadian troops destroy traditional medicine" rumour campaigns would not help us there at all.

Marc

Tom Odom
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
There are areas in Africa where the ganga is literally weed, growing everywhere like Johnson grass on steriods. Still 10 foot plants would be striking...

:) Tom

Jimbo
10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Harold and Kumar join a PRT?:p

pcmfr
10-13-2006, 05:02 PM
http://static.flickr.com/105/268442239_06d2287ae5_o.jpg

Overlooking a field of eight foot tall marijuana plants, two Canadian soldiers from Alpha Company occupy a temporary observation post in Afghanistan's Panjwaii District, September 14, 2006. Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of marijuana plants. (Canadian Forces/Sgt Lou Penney/Handout/Reuters)

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20061013/2006_10_12t192219_450x298_us_canada_marijuana.jpg

Surrounded by marijuana fields, two armored vehicles provide perimeter security for Canadian soldiers patrolling in and around the village of Kolk in Afghanistan's Panjwaii District, September 14, 2006. Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of marijuana plants. (Canadian Forces/Sgt Lou Penney/Handout/Reuters)

S-2
10-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I've a photo of a humvee backed up to a single plant over there, but it simply pales compared to those photos! I had some troops camoflauge their personal gear (not by my order!) while deployed to Pakaloa Tng. Area in Hawaii. Upon our return to CONUS, the dogs were awaiting us on the tarmac. Frankly, a curious moment. Fortunately, our lads did well (enough) and none were busted.

The good professor raises some interesting perspectives relating to the herbal medicine qualities that may be exploited by the local population. No doubt it's true. Somehow, though, I'd suspect that the vast majority of that dope is cultivated and converted to hashish for local and Euro consumption, don't you think?

marct
10-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Those really are amazing pics!

The good professor raises some interesting perspectives relating to the herbal medicine qualities that may be exploited by the local population. No doubt it's true. Somehow, though, I'd suspect that the vast majority of that dope is cultivated and converted to hashish for local and Euro consumption, don't you think?

S-2, yeah, you are probably correct about them as export crops. I think it is probably still worthwhile to try and find out if they are used medicinally, however. This does, of course, bring up some interesting problems in operating in countries with different laws and traditions :). Still, as a PR exercise, it would be worthwhile finding out. BTW, it really should be Canadian, and not US, troops who inquire - we have legal medical marijuana here, so it probably wouldn't cause the same homeland PR stink :).

Marc

Mondor
10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I found that while some of the product is consumed by locals, and a fair bit exported, a lot of it was used to create hemp ropes and the like. Just like the rest of the world before the introduction of petroleum based fibers.