PDA

View Full Version : Operation Armored Fist/Exercise Mailed Fist on East Coast

axiomatic
06-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Air and ground assets from Virginia to Florida are part of a massive readiness exercise led by the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing at Cherry Point.

Exercise Mailed Fist 1-11 is continuing through June 24, and residents in the area should expect an increase in military aircraft and ground activity in the region, according to a release from Cherry Point.

The exercise is one of the largest for the 2nd MAW in recent history. It is designed to ensure that personnel remain prepared to serve as part of a rapid-deployment aviation force in readiness, according to the release.

http://www.havenews.com/news/cherry-8550-point-exercise.html

Would anyone happen to have any more details on this?

Ken White
06-21-2011, 04:32 AM
We used to do those all the time but Iraq and Afghanistan sort of got in the way and there have been few in the last ten years. Figured this one was just to get the 2d Marine Aircraft Wing back to thinking about their primary job and not an Afghan-peculiar effort. So I went to Google, figuring there'd be a blurb. Should have realized you'd already done that...

Lot of conspiracy theories out there, aren't there... :D

Sheesh. Unbelievable. Not much out there because it isn't a big deal. You can bet that if we put ground troops in Libya or anywhere else, the 2d MAW won't be in charge...

axiomatic
06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
We used to do those all the time but Iraq and Afghanistan sort of got in the way and there have been few in the last ten years. Figured this one was just to get the 2d Marine Aircraft Wing back to thinking about their primary job and not an Afghan-peculiar effort. So I went to Google, figuring there'd be a blurb. Should have realized you'd already done that...

Lot of conspiracy theories out there, aren't there... :D

Sheesh. Unbelievable. Not much out there because it isn't a big deal. You can bet that if we put ground troops in Libya or anywhere else, the 2d MAW won't be in charge...

Haha, I had a feeling it was simply business as usual, but being on the civilian side of things tends to obscure such announcements to the point of irrelevance for those of us lacking the personal experience to come to such a simple conclusion. Unfortunately the vast majority of doomsday/alarmist communities have already concluded this must be none other than the final countdown to WWIII :rolleyes: The speed in which those bloggers can disseminate such atrociously misleading information to the public continues to astound me.