PDA

View Full Version : Advice to Prospective Officers

vancrazy
11-01-2006, 01:12 AM
I am a fourth year university student (Poli Sci, minor in Econ) and am interested in getting into post-war reconstruction. I see post-conflict stabalization/peacekeeping/peace-enforcement as the major challenge for the United States over the next several decades. I want to be in on the next Iraq, involved in the hostilities, the transition from hostilities to peace, and the reconstruction of stable, functioning institutions.

This desire has naturally led me to seek a commission in the US military. My question is this, which branch of the US military (Army or Marines) is:

A) Able to conduct such operations effectively and able to train me to participate in them?

B) Most likely to engage in this sort of mission?

I realize that each service is extremely broad and that I could be assigned to do a whole host of missions. Nevertheless, I would appreciate any insights/broad-generalizations that you can provide. Thanks.

jcustis
11-01-2006, 02:10 AM
I am a fourth year university student (Poli Sci, minor in Econ) and am interested in getting into post-war reconstruction. I see post-conflict stabalization/peacekeeping/peace-enforcement as the major challenge for the United States over the next several decades. I want to be in on the next Iraq, involved in the hostilities Be extremely careful what you wish for...better yet, don't wish for it. It will find you in due time, the transition from hostilities to peace, and the reconstruction of stable, functioning institutions.

This desire has naturally led me to seek a commission in the US military. My question is this, which branch of the US military (Army or Marines) is:

A) Able to conduct such operations effectively and able to train me to participate in them? Honestly, this is like asking which is better: 1911 or Glock, Jack Daniels nor Jim Beam, etc. You might want to step back and think a little bit deeper. As it is written, this question may seem (to many members here) as if you have a burning desire to be GI Joe but haven't done the slightest bit of research or reading about the military. This is not meant to be a slight against you; the simple answer to the question is BOTH, which leads me to believe you meant to ask something different.

I realize that each service is extremely broad and that I could be assigned to do a whole host of missions. Nevertheless, I would appreciate any insights/broad-generalizations that you can provide. Thanks.

I'd recommend just going direct commission with the Corps and getting it over with, striving for Infantry, and then opening up to the best experience you could ever dream of. :D

vancrazy
11-01-2006, 03:23 AM
"Be extremely careful what you wish for...better yet, don't wish for it. It will find you in due time."

Point well taken. Having grown up in a (rather unstable) third world country I have a very personal interest in spreading zones of political stability

"A) Able to conduct such operations effectively and able to train me to participate in them? Honestly, this is like asking which is better: 1911 or Glock, Jack Daniels nor Jim Beam, etc. You might want to step back and think a little bit deeper. As it is written, this question may seem (to many members here) as if you have a burning desire to be GI Joe but haven't done the slightest bit of research or reading about the military. This is not meant to be a slight against you; the simple answer to the question is BOTH, which leads me to believe you meant to ask something different."

I apologise for being unclear. Insert "Best" before "Able..." In other words, which organization is farthest ahead in adapting to peace keeping? And no, the GI Joe approach to life seems idiotic, not romantic. I guess as an amateur, it is hard for me to sound like anything other than a starry-eyed idealist.:o

Marine Infantry? Talking to some marines I know, they say the best part about it is the comraderie. Is this what makes it the "best experience I could ever dream of?" Thanks for the response.

jonSlack
11-01-2006, 04:08 AM
I can only speak from what I know of Army operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If you want to be involved in COIN/Small Wars/Peace Keeping or Enforcement/SASO/... as a LT aim to branch Infantry or Armor. It is Companies and Battalions from those branches that are the primary "land owners" in theater. The Army Corps of Engineers would be a good third choice, regardless of the fact you are not a "school trained Engineer."

As a LT concentrate on being a Platoon Leader and then Company Executive Officer. Train and care for your Soldiers, and learn from them too.

When your year group comes up for promotion to CPT (~2 1/2 years from becoming a 2LT) you can drop a packet for Civil Affairs or Special Forces. Or, you can opt to stay in the Infantry, Armor, or Engineers to take Company Command and staff positions at battalion level and above and serve on MiTTs and PRTs.

I am a Engineer 1LT in the Army. I have a similar academic background as you (BA in Intl Econ and BS in Liberal Studies (IR/IPE/PoliSci minor, CompSci minior, and the obligatory ROTC MilSci minor). I have lead two combat engineer platoons and am currently serving as an Operations Officer in a seperate Brigade preparing for OEF. I also in the process of completing and submitting my packet for Civil Affairs (DLAB on Friday, wish me luck).

Concerning deployments... You serve in a combat arms branch, it won't be a question of if you go, only a matter of when, and how many times.

If you have questions about the day to day of a junior Army Officer shoot me a PM.

David Dunn
11-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Awesome...get focused on your goal and stay motivated. Soldiering is a dangerous profession, but it is the most noble thing a man can do.

I had to make the same decision that you're wrestling with and I can tell you what made up my mind: money, size, and infrastructure. The Army has far more resources than the Marine Corps, which translates into more choices and career opportunities for you.

2LT Dunn
172nd SBCT

I am a fourth year university student (Poli Sci, minor in Econ) and am interested in getting into post-war reconstruction. I see post-conflict stabalization/peacekeeping/peace-enforcement as the major challenge for the United States over the next several decades. I want to be in on the next Iraq, involved in the hostilities, the transition from hostilities to peace, and the reconstruction of stable, functioning institutions.

A) Able to conduct such operations effectively and able to train me to participate in them?

Steve Blair
11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Commissioning-wise, you're really left with OTS unless you can draw your studies out for at least two years. Most ROTC programs require at least that much time (and I don't know if the Navy has provisions for "shrinking" its ROTC time, since they do more than we do). You might want to talk to the ROTC folks at your university, since they SHOULD be able to give you some good advice regarding commissioning routes available.

Granted the Army has more resources, but on the whole the Marine Corps has historically been given such missions first, especially in the smaller situations that may not call for a major Army commitment. This is of course a generalization, and deals more with line forces and not SF or other special purpose assets.

pcmfr
11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Van - Quite frankly, with your language and cultural skills, you belong in the CIA. You'll have plenty of opportunities to get in on the action in places like Iraq or Afghanistan (or Pakistan) if accepted there. Recommend you start here: www.cia.gov. If you are so inclined, you also might be a good fit for SF, and definitely Army CA.

Jimbo
11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Besides the be careful what you ask for thoughts (which is very good advice), I recommend the Army. As a young officer (1/2LT/CPT), your skills will benefit in the current war on terror, but if you opt to do Civil Affairs or Special Forces, they will benefit. The Army is moving into more of these areas. That being said, if you decisde to commission in the Army through whatever route I will impart some initial advice. Focus on what your current job is, and do it to the best of your ability, apply common sense, listen to your Co and XO, listen to your NCO's. Having said that, you should know what sounds right and what sounds wrong, if somebody is givning you a B.S. line then evaluate it for what it is. Also stay in shape. Good luck. I reccomend Army, Infantry

Jimbo
MAJ, IN

jcustis
11-02-2006, 02:47 PM
When I made reference to the Corps and Infantry as being the "best experience", it's because you will be forged into a leader, not a manager. We manage resources. You will have great interaction with really sharp young people who will make you laugh, cry, frustrated, and bewildered, sometimes at the same moment.

The Marine Corps will provide you with many intangibles, for lack of a better word. Not to mention a really snazzy dress uniform. :D Will you have am wide range of opportunities in the Army and Infantry? Certainly. In either branch, serving as an Infantry officer will probably be the most rewarding for you, because you have to do windows...

Tom Odom
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM

regardless of service--Army or Marine--or branch, consider foreign area officer around the 8-10 year mark. For an idea on what FAOs do, see the chapter from my memoirs here in SWJ magazine.

Best and good luck

Tom

SSG Rock
11-03-2006, 07:16 PM
What a great experience being an FAO is. Sometimes I wish I had gone for a commission, but I got mucho satisfaction in training junior officers to become senior officers. As an NCO, my advise is pay attention to your NCOs, they'll teach you about the real Army and what you won't learn in class.

Don't fret too much over Army or Marines, think "Joint" because thats where this bus is going. I think you'll find in the future, that where you find the Army, you'll also find the Marines and vice versa. You do have more career opportunities in the Army this is very true. You really have to want to be a Marine to be a Marine, so if there is the slightest doubt, don't.

120mm
11-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I just came off of ROTC duty, and I recently helped out someone just like you: My advice would be to apply for a two year ROTC scholarship and get your MA while attending ROTC. And maybe pick up more language capability, if you can.

Then, apply for infantry and get all the combat training you can. CA and SF, as stated before, are great areas for your knowledge-set. The fact that you've lived overseas is a big plus. And the FAO program is excellent. One of my best friends and former fellow platoon leader is currently a Military Attache for Montenegro. He tells me it is a real cool job.

I'm a reservist, but as a civilian contractor, I write training scenarios for the Army in Germany. It's like getting paid to do wargaming 5 days a week.

Most folks your age are wandering through life in a haze, or looking for the "next thrill". You are way ahead of them, and I salute you.

SWJED
11-20-2006, 12:50 AM
VanCrazy - I just ran across this site: MarineOCS.com (http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php). It is a bulletin board that contains a lot of info you might find useful. Registration is easy and fast.

Stan Reber
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Although never a Marine, I've been around many for the last 27 years. True professionals but rather limited in occupational choices. Most NCOs were interested in my Army career, but I didn't have the answer they wanted to hear. Guess I was too far gone :confused:

As for FAOs or OCS candidates, both are good choices. Language skills in the Army will go much farther. The Marines (that I knew and know) never really looked at getting along with culture as a primary objective. That's a bad move. As they say "To err is human, and to forgive is devine. Neither are Marine Corps policy."

My previous DATTs were mostly FAOs with tons of experience and they seemed to know if the NCO they had was going to work out from the very start. That's a compliment !

Most Army OCS grads that I worked with were previously NCOs and brought not only their experience with them, but common sense from the Army's point of view. That you won't get in school.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck in your Army career ;)

Regards, Stan