PDA

View Full Version : The Transformation Mistake

SWJED
11-03-2006, 11:58 AM
3 November New York Post commentary - The Transformation Mistake (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11032006/postopinion/opedcolumnists/the_transformation_mistake_opedcolumnists_mackubin _t__owens.htm) by Mackubin Owens.

... As I noted in a July 2005 piece for The Post ("Will This War Break the Army?"), the U.S. military, especially its ground forces, is being stretched to near the breaking point. Its long-term health may be at risk; it took over a decade to repair the damage that Vietnam inflicted on the military personnel system.

The debate over alleged Bush administration errors in Iraq - failing to send enough troops to Iraq in the first place, inadequate planning for stability operations after the fall of Baghdad, etc. - largely misses the point: America's ground forces are too small for what our foreign policy demands of them.

As a number of defense experts have observed, the problem - an Army that is too small - is systemic, transcending individuals and administrations. Its cause can be traced to the denigration of land power after the Gulf War of 1991.

In his classic study of the Korean Conflict, "This Kind of War," T.R. Fehrenbach expressed the conventional wisdom on land power's importance: "You can fly over a land forever; you may bomb it and wipe it clean of life . . . but if you desire to defend it; protect it; and keep it for civilization, you must do this on the ground, the way the Roman legions did . . . by putting your young men into the mud."

But that view came into question in 1991, after the U.S.-led coalition crushed Saddam Hussein's forces in Desert Storm with what seemed a combination of air power and information technology. Influential observers argued that this proved that a "revolution in military affairs" was underway, with information technology diminishing the importance of land power.

Some went so far as to suggest that traditional ground combat had become a thing of the past, that future U.S. military power would be based on precision strikes delivered by air or space assets, perhaps coordinated and directed by a handful of special operations soldiers.

There was no question that the Army needed to undergo a substantial transformation to remain strategically relevant. Then-Army Chief of Staff Gen. Eric Shinseki pushed hard to replace difficult-to-deploy heavy forces with medium-weight, wheel-mobile combat brigades supported by an advanced gun system.

As Donald Rumsfeld became secretary of defense in 2001, the Pentagon embraced a more radical understanding of this "transformation," aiming at an "information-age military force" that "will be less platform-centric and more network-centric." Unfortunately, as military historian Fred Kagan has observed, Rumsfeld's understanding of transformation is vague and confused. It is based on false premises and lies at the heart of our problems in Iraq...

Iraq has revealed several important things:

Land power remains as crucially important as it was in Fehrenbach's time. Indeed, for the kinds of war we're most likely to face in the future, we need a larger Army...

The "revolution in military affairs" wasn't as revolutionary as once believed...

The equation of "transformation" and "technology" in Rumsfeld's Pentagon has harmed U.S. security. Military transformation has been shorn of its political and geostrategic context, reduced to nothing more than hitting the right military target independent of any political goal...

Much more at the link...

SWJED
11-06-2006, 11:04 PM
October US Army Strategic Studies Institute LeTort Paper - Confronting the Unconventional: Innovation and Transformation in Military Affairs (http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/display.cfm?PubID=729) by David Tucker.

Are there limits to military transformation? Or, if it seems obvious that there must be limits to transformation, what are they exactly, why do they arise, and how can we identify them so that we may better accomplish the transformation that the U.S. military is capable of? If limits to military change and transformation exist, what are the broader implications for national policy and strategy? The author offers some answers to these questions by analyzing the efforts of the French, British, and Americans to deal with irregular threats after World War II...

typos-R-us
01-03-2007, 04:32 AM
There is a quick, cheap and easy transformation available. Make the trade schools joint.
Have the Students spend their Sophmore and Joinor years at a sister school.
This will start them thinking purple at an early age.
It will never happen because the MIC cannot make Billions off of it. It would be effective, since it's men, not weapons that win wars.
It would be even better if the US went to a semi-german type system, where Officer canidates spend 2 years in the ranks before even going off to trade school. Something needs to be done, since the current system produces long lines of mediocre ticket punchers. The best bow out at about the O-5 level, not seeing anything in their future worth going thru the BS for.
That is why the best trained, best armed Military in the world cannot subdue medieval savages. Management will never replace Leadership.

selil
01-03-2007, 05:14 AM
There is a quick, cheap and easy transformation available. Make the trade schools joint.
It will never happen because the MIC cannot make Billions off of it.

You'll have to expand on that a little more.

Currently there is an education movement afoot that is tiptoeing in behind the scenes. Within the United States there is a movement to do away with high school. In a couple states a freshman in high school enters college and shares time or go's to college full time. A report recently out has the last two years of high school done away with and that is the start of college.

My take is do away with any high school with more than 800 people in it nationally, but that is another topic.

So tell us more.

Smitten Eagle
01-03-2007, 01:28 PM
It will never happen because the MIC cannot make Billions off of it. It would be effective, since it's men, not weapons that win wars.
It would be even better if the US went to a semi-german type system, where Officer canidates spend 2 years in the ranks before even going off to trade school. Something needs to be done, since the current system produces long lines of mediocre ticket punchers. The best bow out at about the O-5 level, not seeing anything in their future worth going thru the BS for.
That is why the best trained, best armed Military in the world cannot subdue medieval savages. Management will never replace Leadership.

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, lots of pie in the sky stuff here.

You may have something of a point on the "semi-German" system of spending time in the ranks. On the other hand, the US Military in general, and the USMC in particular, does an excellent job of filling its officer corps with folks from the ranks, from the academy, from OCS, and from ROTC. Such a system has lots of intellectual diversity and I doubt that advantages could be accrued by homogenizing the entry of officers by use of a single system.

And the remark about O-5s and above is entirely uncalled for. On the contrary, I've seen lots of burned-out field grades who want nothing more than to "make 20" and punch out. They tend to be Majors with prior-enlisted experience or LtCols without such prior experience. Furthermore, I've known some utterly outstanding Colonels in my short 4 years in service to my country. And the generals? Mattis? Amos? Castellaw? Toolan? Helland? Yup--lots of ticket-punching in those guys. Ha.

A little more discipline in thought would be appropriate before we castigate the bird colonels and stars.

Steve Blair
01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
What I see at the ROTC level is more of a focus on "let's get these kids easy A's in their ROTC courses and worry about really training them later." That bothers me, because we have an outstanding chance at this level to get them exposed to more diverse thought and give them the tools to think critically. For the most part, you also don't see AFROTC and AROTC programs doing any sort of joint courses or activities. I'm working on a course idea to correct that, but am having a hard time getting traction at the cadre level. The cadets LOVE the idea. Go figure...:o

Smitten Eagle
01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm a product of NROTC, but a Marine Option. For us, ROTC didn't provide much military training at all, but that was taken care of at TBS.

As far as giving a "joint" education, I don't see much of a point in that. The issues we're dealing with as a military today aren't issues of Goldwater-Nichols. The issues we are dealing with are faulty promotion/personnel systems, faulty acquisitions/procurement, and faulty TTPs/Doctrine (in that order.) Me, or anybody else rubbing elbows with some Air Force missile officer isn't going to fix the day to day issues of COIN operations. On the contrary, it'll probably make things worse, because instead of focusing on the enemy, and his critical vulnerability (the population he swims in), I'm instead focusing on "purple" jargon and teaching the basics of what an M-16 is to a bunch of non-FMF sailors who have no business being in the mud (yes, I've done that.)

No "joint" ROTC course is going to fix that.

From what I can see, the benefit of ROTC programs are that they're good for civil-military relations. No longer do I have to go to a service academy to serve my country as an officer--it keeps entry into the military democratic. As to the military skill of these ROTC guys...well...I've seen good ones and bad ones. Same goes for academy guys, prior-enlisted guys, and OCS guys.

Steve Blair
01-03-2007, 08:02 PM
ROTC programs don't have all that much to do with civil-military relations when you get right down to it. Universities tend to ignore us, unless they want to protest the military/industrial complex or something similar. What they DO accomplish is provide an intake point for people who might not want to go to the Academies but still want to commission. It can also be scaled easier than academies can, and provides a decent way to target populations (like foreign language majors) when the need arises.

The point behind a joint course isn't to get these kids spewing purple jargon; it's more to show them how they will be working with other services in future environments. In part it's to show the AF cadets that there is more to life than the F-22, and it's also to help the Army cadets see what the AF can provide in terms of lift and support to a COIN effort. The sooner they can get that, the better. At least it will be in the back of their minds.

Just because ROTC hasn't done this in the past doesn't mean that it shouldn't do it in the future.

Smitten Eagle
01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Indeed, Universities tend to ignore ROTCs. ROTCs tend to have very small, if any, impact on campus these days. But the other part of Civ-Mil relations is how the University affects the military, and in this, ROTC is crucial. Basically, it keeps the officer corps academically diverse. I've heard some on this forum call the academies the Kool-Aid Factories, and in this they have a point (the implication being that all cadets/mids have to drink it to make it through, and Kool-Aid isn't very popular unless it's spiked by something unnatural).

All of the academies are, at their core, engineering schools. Sure, you can study polisci, or history, or economics at an academy, but it's not the strong suit. ROTC provides a certain level of diversity to this somewhat monolithic method of training officers. I see value in this academic diversity, and I see value in being able to attend a state school and serve as an officer.

The point on the F-22 is taken. I think there was a class on the make-up of the Navy, Army, and Air Force back in TBS. Maybe a better way of teaching such classes is with some sort of teaching LNO from the other services. At the same time, the marginal impact of learning the capes and lims of the F-22 or a Trident Submarine is pretty low, and such time could probably be better spent in MOUT Town.

Steve Blair
01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Exactly, Eagle. What I'm kicking around is a semester-style course that works out to be an operational exercise. AF and Army cadets take roles in their respective services (JFAAC and such) and then go against each other in notional settings that also include a variety of LIC-type considerations. I'm not focusing on high-end system capabilities at all, but rather how do you use the systems you have (my OBs are all based on older equipment and are scaled to be more or less equal) to accomplish your goals. There are things in it like population control, BDA operations, and popular reactions to military decisions (like if someone decides to carpet bomb cities in their opponent's country, the ethnic minority in THEIR country becomes restless and troops have to be diverted to population control). Simplistic? Sure. But it's intended to make cadets think and deal with situations that are not ideal.

Anyhow, I'll put my pet rock away now.:)

120mm
01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, lots of pie in the sky stuff here.

You may have something of a point on the "semi-German" system of spending time in the ranks. On the other hand, the US Military in general, and the USMC in particular, does an excellent job of filling its officer corps with folks from the ranks, from the academy, from OCS, and from ROTC. Such a system has lots of intellectual diversity and I doubt that advantages could be accrued by homogenizing the entry of officers by use of a single system.

And the remark about O-5s and above is entirely uncalled for. On the contrary, I've seen lots of burned-out field grades who want nothing more than to "make 20" and punch out. They tend to be Majors with prior-enlisted experience or LtCols without such prior experience. Furthermore, I've known some utterly outstanding Colonels in my short 4 years in service to my country. And the generals? Mattis? Amos? Castellaw? Toolan? Helland? Yup--lots of ticket-punching in those guys. Ha.

A little more discipline in thought would be appropriate before we castigate the bird colonels and stars.

I've met Petraeus and Wadjakowski, and like them both, and know a few O-6s that I'd follow through hell with a peashooter, but they are the VAST minority in the many O-6s and above I've dealt with. I'm all for the castigation of the higher "O"s and the way they become that rank.

I think it is a great weakness of our military.

But I'm just a burnt out prior-enlisted Major.

Especially in CSS-land, I've seen the Army effectively relieve O-5s and above for incompetence, only to put them back into the same position later in the tour, and they still get good OERs and get promoted. We had an Active Duty O-6 basically refuse to deploy to Iraq, through feet dragging and malingering and as far as I can tell, he received no censure. His job was done, excellently, by a Reservist O-5.

There is a tendency to "command by powerpoint" at the O-6 and above level.

Smitten Eagle
01-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Fair criticism, 120mm. I've seen similar too. But saying LtCols and Majors are awesome because they get out is probably incorrect. I've seen far more ticket-punching careerism by fat field-grades who are burned out and just intent on making 20. They're place-holders, and obstructionists. They provide no combat power.

Anybody ready "Path to Victory" by Vandergriff? He advocates the US military adopt a regimental system like the brits, decentralize promotions, and decentralize assignment-filling to those regiments.

There's about 5 things I'd change with the Fitrep/OER system, too. Like add peer and subordinate comments, get rid of the zero-defect mentality, etc.

If I every become Deputy Commandant for Manpower, that book will be my bible.

Steve Blair
01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I've been a big fan of Vandergriff since I read that book. Had him as a professor as well...very sharp guy.

A great deal of what he's talking about is really the way the personnel system used to work (read before Root's "reforms" and the business school mentality took hold).

RTK
01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
On that note, I highly recommend Anton Mayer's Once an Eagle, though I gather most people in this forum have read it.

I see many Courtney Massengales in the army. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to see them at lower ranks than I did 7 years ago.

Smitten Eagle
01-05-2007, 12:42 AM
On that note, I highly recommend Anton Mayer's Once an Eagle, though I gather most people in this forum have read it.

I see many Courtney Massengales in the army. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to see them at lower ranks than I did 7 years ago.

Where's Sam Damon when you need him? I guess they get killed, as that's how Medals of Honor are earned these days.

Grim world we live in. :(

RTK...how have you seen the "Massengalism" in the lower ranks?

RTK
01-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Where's Sam Damon when you need him? I guess they get killed, as that's how Medals of Honor are earned these days.

Grim world we live in. :(

RTK...how have you seen the "Massengalism" in the lower ranks?

I've seen guys who are career SGS jockeys, guys who have spent 6 months in a platoon and distinguished themselves so poorly that they spent the rest of their LT years on Division staffs, only to come out of it on the other end with a Meritorious Service medal. It kills me.

I get asked by a lot of new 2LTs how they can pursue their Master's degrees while they are platoon leaders. They seem more than a little put off when I tell them that they simply can't and be a good platoon leader at the same time.

I've seen more backstabbing PLs in the last 2 years than I did in the previous 5 years all together. I'm not sure why. I've never seen so many junior officers try to climb over eachother to get to the front, and spitefully so, than I have recently. I'm told by those who are older that the reason is "generational." There seems to be an epitome of the "me" culture. As a microcosm of society, I guess that might be expected.

Finally, I've seen some piss poor platoon leaders. I've seen some fantastic ones as well. But, like all things, you tend to remember the bad sometimes more than the good.

Smitten Eagle
01-05-2007, 01:41 AM
I've seen guys who are career SGS jockeys, guys who have spent 6 months in a platoon and distinguished themselves so poorly that they spent the rest of their LT years on Division staffs, only to come out of it on the other end with a Meritorious Service medal. It kills me.

I get asked by a lot of new 2LTs how they can pursue their Master's degrees while they are platoon leaders. They seem more than a little put off when I tell them that they simply can't and be a good platoon leader at the same time.

I've seen more backstabbing PLs in the last 2 years than I did in the previous 5 years all together. I'm not sure why. I've never seen so many junior officers try to climb over eachother to get to the front, and spitefully so, than I have recently. I'm told by those who are older that the reason is "generational." There seems to be an epitome of the "me" culture. As a microcosm of society, I guess that might be expected.

Finally, I've seen some piss poor platoon leaders. I've seen some fantastic ones as well. But, like all things, you tend to remember the bad sometimes more than the good.

Grim indeed. I guess I haven't seen <much> of that in the Marine Corps. Maybe I'm just biased, though.

I've seen some malingering Lts, who faigned injury to be rear party OIC while the unit deployed to IZ. But that was a single case.

I haven't seen many problems with the Masters Degrees, either. I think most wait til they get to their 'B-billet' (non-FMF tour) to do that.

Rob Thornton
01-05-2007, 06:39 AM
I think it is a more of a matter of emphasizing what we say we believe in. There are multiple parts to it, but in the end it comes down to investing in people. I don't think it takes an extreme solution though; if you don't buy into the solution you’re are currently pursuing, and then adopting an extreme solution to force an issue won't work either - people will just get more creative in circumventing it.

I think an organization will only truly change only if it wants to (if you force change, it is just a matter of changing your stripes and waiting something or somebody out). Desire for change is at least partially based off of how an organization sees itself (does it succeed, does it fail, etc.?), and whether it believes the gain is worth the effort. For an organization like the military, we are also subject to external factors such as politics - both directly and indirectly. Since our budget comes from the GDP, and not commercial earnings - we are limited - not to mention there is lots of competition for those $$$.

Even if you do set all the conditions for success, I'm not sure you get the "Transformation" of personnel on the scale you're after. Smitten Eagle makes a good point when he points to some extraordinary senior FG and General Officers, but we call them extraordinary for a reason - and they are great examples of a system that recognized their abilities and placed them where they could best provide leadership. They also provide the rest of us a model for what right looks like.

Given the resources, I think we could improve the education of our general population, but to attract the surplus raw talent beyond those with an inclination to serve or develop requires that we can motivate more than just those who would normally come our way. How do we accomplish that? Good question.

Stan
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
The best bow out at about the O-5 level, not seeing anything in their future worth going thru the BS for.
Unquote

I am really glad he is wrong in this area, or I would have never made it to senior NCO ot even lived to tell my daughter about it.

We have the best officers in the world and I have 23 years of experience to back that statement.

Typos, go pack sand (bags).

Thanks for dumping this member !

JKM4767
01-05-2007, 05:24 PM
One major downfall of Army ROTC is in many cases, the instructors for these future LTs are old retired LTCs and MAJs who have no operational experience in the GWOT. Now, with that being said, I understand we can't ship all of our recent COs to ROTC, but it makes sense. But soon, there should be an effort to get young combat vets (to include NCOs, especially former PSGs) to ROTC immediately so that they can educate these future PLs on what is expected of them as leaders in combat.

RTK
01-05-2007, 05:31 PM
One major downfall of Army ROTC is in many cases, the instructors for these future LTs are old retired LTCs and MAJs who have no operational experience in the GWOT. Now, with that being said, I understand we can't ship all of our recent COs to ROTC, but it makes sense. But soon, there should be an effort to get young combat vets (to include NCOs, especially former PSGs) to ROTC immediately so that they can educate these future PLs on what is expected of them as leaders in combat.

Six in one, half dozen in the other. Do we send them to ROTC to mold 30 cadets, 5 of whom probably won't commission, or do we send them to the Officer Leadership Schools where they'll be exposed to every 2LT in their branch who's preparing to be a PL? I support COA 2.

JKM4767
01-05-2007, 05:33 PM

On the contrary, as a PL, I felt I had a better relationship with my fellow PLs than I ever could have imagined. Now, granted, many times it was "us against them" (field grades); banding together to urge higher command to use better tactics, implement smarter training and give more "rope" to LTs to get the mission done. I haven't seen much backstabbing to this point; more of a feeling of "hey this sucks, but we are going to get through it together". So much depends on the unit and it's climate. What I have seen after two Iraq tours is my peers drop from the Army faster than you could imagine...some battalions suffering 90&#37; losses of combat arms Jr. CPTs, primarily because they don't believe in the ability or intentions of their field grade leaders; kind of a "these are the idiots that I will continue to work for?". For the most part, I have seen many junior officers band together, as opposed to "Massengalism". Just an observation from my very small foxhole.

JKM4767
01-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Six in one, half dozen in the other. Do we send them to ROTC to mold 30 cadets, 5 of whom probably won't commission, or do we send them to the Officer Leadership Schools where they'll be exposed to every 2LT in their branch who's preparing to be a PL? I support COA 2.
Good call. Although in OBC, there is already so much crap to "learn", I'm afraid the school time might cut into PL time. Haha. I would have loved to had a guy come in and tell me what I needed to know. I sure could have used any information showing up in Iraq as a 2LT in '03!

RTK
01-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Good call. Although in OBC, there is already so much crap to "learn", I'm afraid the school time might cut into PL time. Haha. I would have loved to had a guy come in and tell me what I needed to know. I sure could have used any information showing up in Iraq as a 2LT in '03!

Not sure when you went through OBC or what branch you are, but with the BOLC concept now, new LTs are brought through very regimented and organized blocks of instruction. In my block, recon tactics, we teach them more how to think rather than what specifically to think. They learn the fundamentals and the importance of being a master of fundamentals. Once this occurs, it breeds the versatility and adaptivity that is required of today's combat leader.

The bottom line is we build the foundation. The gaining unit builds the structure on top of it.

RTK
01-05-2007, 05:42 PM
On the contrary, as a PL, I felt I had a better relationship with my fellow PLs than I ever could have imagined. Now, granted, many times it was "us against them" (field grades); banding together to urge higher command to use better tactics, implement smarter training and give more "rope" to LTs to get the mission done. I haven't seen much backstabbing to this point; more of a feeling of "hey this sucks, but we are going to get through it together". So much depends on the unit and it's climate. What I have seen after two Iraq tours is my peers drop from the Army faster than you could imagine...some battalions suffering 90% losses of combat arms Jr. CPTs, primarily because they don't believe in the ability or intentions of their field grade leaders; kind of a "these are the idiots that I will continue to work for?". For the most part, I have seen many junior officers band together, as opposed to "Massengalism". Just an observation from my very small foxhole.

Not to say I don't see a fair share of Sam Damons as well.

Good units have the "junior officer mafia" that breeds within a good unit. Unfortunately, there's a lemming effect to that; when one decides to get out, a herd seems to follow. So is life. My peer group had that happen (which I was initially a part of before I pulled back my REFRAD two months later).

JKM4767
01-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I am a pre-BOLC guy, but sounds like Armor has the right idea. There, literally is not many ways to train PLs for OIF. It's all reactive. I am glad you guys have seen the light and are doing the right things. Hopefully FA catches on, I haven't heard much from Sill about changes at OBC and CCC.

Steve Blair
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Actually you're starting to see people with GWOT time showing up as ROTC instructors. Mainline ROTC instructors are never retired (that's JROTC), although you do get many who view ROTC as a last assignment before retiring.

That said, I do see many ways ROTC could be better used. I can't think of many better ways to get future FAOs (aside from OCS-type programs) into the service. The AF draws many of its research people in through ROTC, which is a mixed blessing. But ROTC does really allow the military to draw on a pool that might otherwise be lost to it: the kid who's already in school, wants to serve his or her country, but also wants to finish school. Some of our best people (at my det, anyhow) come in this way. You can also draw on a slightly older base, including folks who have real life experience that will prove useful operationally (police, fire, medics, overseas living, and so on).

If 5 cadets don't commission, that's 5 people who didn't soak up much money in the great scheme of things and won't get anyone killed. Seems like a good trade to me...

JKM4767
01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Steve,
You are incorrect about retirees. I don't know if you've heard of this, but at my University, there are 3 "contractors" (retired field grades) that teach MS I and II courses. They are still there, because I called my alma mater for a job as an ROTC instructor and the PMS told me they don't have any active duty CPT slots for instructors. He said all instructors slots are currently filled by retirees. http://armyrotc.ksu.edu/cadre.php
It looks like they've added even more according to their website.

Steve Blair
01-05-2007, 06:06 PM
That's a new trend, then, and one we haven't seen here. They have slotted some MSGTs in as instructors, but that's about it. The AF hasn't gone near this at all, although we're having a hard time getting officers released for APAS duty right now.

A K-State grad, eh? I went there and worked there and at Fort Riley for some years before getting back up here.

120mm
01-08-2007, 06:57 AM
I just did a year as an ROTC contractor. Not a bad program, imho, and it's cheap for the Army. Our Active Duty guys were not particularly suited for ROTC duty.

ROTC is the place where you send good leaders to get divorces and UCMJ for sleeping with hot female cadets. NOT a place you want to send your best combat leadership.

Now, the older instructors have their problems, but "experience" a future LT gets in ROTC has marginal utility by the time they get combat leadership duty. Commission, then train, should be the Army Standard.

Edited to add: Why not take the job at Pittsburgh State if KSU is full?

www.goarmyrotc.com is the website to COMtech, which runs the ROTC contracting program

Tom Odom
01-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Not to say I don't see a fair share of Sam Damons as well.

Good units have the "junior officer mafia" that breeds within a good unit. Unfortunately, there's a lemming effect to that; when one decides to get out, a herd seems to follow. So is life. My peer group had that happen (which I was initially a part of before I pulled back my REFRAD two months later).

You made me laugh and remember when I was a 1st Lieutenant and the promotion time to Captain had been stretched to nearly 5 years. A friend and I started the "Lieutenants Protective Association," as a social and very much protective measure to cover neophytes from the predations of certain company commanders. Funny that we named our group, "The Lannie Kenton Lieutenants Protective Association," for a 2LT who never should have been commissioned. My battalion commander actually called me in and told me as I was headed south on a convoy from Bragg to Eglin AFB, "Tom, I am giving you Lt Kenton for this exercise. Take him with you. Keep him out of trouble. And bring him back that way."

Good to see that junior officers continue to exhibit a certain level of herd mentality :)

Best

Tom