PDA

View Full Version : Twist off from Vietnam monks

Culpeper
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Priest Burns Himself to Death Over Islam (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2434625,00.html)

A retired priest committed suicide by setting himself on fire in a German monastery in protest at the spread of Islam and the Protestant Church’s inability to contain it.

Roland Weisselberg, 73, poured a can of petrol over his head and set light to himself in the grounds of the Augustine monastery in the eastern city of Erfurt, where Martin Luther spent six years as a monk at the beginning of the 16th century.

Rob Thornton
11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I read something awhile back about the steady decline in European birth rates, increase in failed marriages, and desires to live for the "individual". If true, this would explain the need to encourage immigration to fill the vacuum. While the laws may encourage immigration, my experience with many Europeans is they are hard pressed to assimilate foreigners as equal (maybe a better word is "like") members (not that the US is perfect either, but many here acknowledge the strength we've drawn from being a nation of immigrants that came here to succeed - whatever the case, its not a popularity contest and we have our own set of biases). I ponder if the jobs and opportunities available to immigrants in Europe are limited to those envisioned when the immigration laws were made. I think with the riots in France, you can see where that type of "soft" racism (perceived or real) would only widen distinctions, and create opportunities for recruitment into radical organizations and groups that promise protection and identity. Poverty and Low Self Esteem create isolated individuals who are more easily influenced by subversive elements.

Steve Blair
11-06-2006, 07:16 PM
To a certain extent I also feel that the immigrants' desire to assimilate plays a role in this equation. Some groups do not want to "work and play with others" in that sense, and that in turn plays into any resentment felt by the host culture.