PDA

View Full Version : WAP is your friend.

ganulv
06-29-2012, 04:28 PM
A few days ago members of the Evansville, Ind., SWAT team served a warrant (http://youtu.be/rjSwkU_Q-as?t=41s) at the physical address associated with a WiFi router from which multiple online threats against local law enforcement had originated. Turns out the postings had not originated from the house in which the router was located. The router was configured as an open network and had been used by a neighbor. (http://gizmodo.com/5922322/the-swat-team-gently-reminds-a-girl-to-secure-her-wi+fi-network-by-raiding-her-house-with-flashbangs) Oops.

I don’t know enough about such things to be able to say anything authoritative about judges’ general background knowledge of the workings of the Internet or the wisdom of bunching what by my count were nine officers on the porch of a structure which there was reason to believe contained explosives. I do know enough, however, to say this: WAP is your friend. If you have been waiting for a good reason to spend the time figuring out how to secure your home’s wireless network this story is as good as any. :p

Also, Evansville has a SWAT team?!?

davidbfpo
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Somebody needs to educate the applicant (the police) and those issuing the search warrant (magistrates I assume). As for the actual execution of the warrant, it looks like the SWAT used it as an exercise.

ganulv
06-29-2012, 05:39 PM
As for the actual execution of the warrant, it looks like the SWAT used it as an exercise.

also as a photo op. Given the way things turned out they might wish they had that one back. :o

Somebody needs to educate […] those issuing the search warrant (magistrates I assume).

Know that you say it, that a magistrate may have issued the warrant makes a lot of sense. In my experience the legal background and overall quality of local magistrates is, um, variable.

Steve Blair
06-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Also, Evansville has a SWAT team?!?

Everyone has a SWAT team these days...:D

ganulv
06-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Everyone has a SWAT team these days...:D

But only the smaller locales invariably have a couple of members who look like they forgot to say, “When!” as they were being poured into their black nylon. :wry:

Steve Blair
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
But only the smaller locales invariably have a couple of members who look like they forgot to say, “When!” as they were being poured into their black nylon. :wry:

Well...if they're moonlighting from their mall ninja jobs that kinda makes sense.

slapout9
06-29-2012, 07:15 PM
WAP....you mean an Italian?:D

ganulv
06-29-2012, 11:08 PM
WAP....you mean an Italian?:D

If you say that to an Italian and don’t immediately find yourself rolling around on the ground with him, yes, he is your friend! :D