PDA

View Full Version : An innovative use of Silly String

Merv Benson
12-08-2006, 01:28 AM
This post (http://prairiepundit.blogspot.com/2006/12/combating-trip-wires-in-iraq-with.html) discusses how the troops have been using Silly String sprayed into an area to discover whether there are trip wires present. Other unique innovations include using tampons to plug bullet holes in the wounded until they can be patched up, and using condoms and rubber bands around rifle muzzles to keep out sand. The latter could make for some interesting conversations during weapons inspections.:D

Uboat509
12-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Actually this is an old one as are the others. I remember an old Vietnam vet talking about putting condoms on the barrel of his weapon. I'm thinking that the Silly string thing may have originated in Somalia but don't quote me on that.

SFC W

aktarian
12-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Condoms on rifles were used in WW2 already.

SSG Rock
12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
The use of silly string is a classic example of the ingenuity of the American Soldier, and why I admire them so. There is nothing they can't work out.

Stu-6
12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
This is one of my favorite stories to come out of this war. I as a young solider I was taught to tie a light length of string to the barrel of my rifle if trip wires were an issue, moving slowly with rifle pointed straight ahead the string would move and make trip wires obvious but using silly string is way more efficient. Good job to the troops who figured that out.