PDA

View Full Version : Navy SEAL, killed in double slaying

Bill Moore
02-03-2013, 08:29 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20130203-chris-kyle-record-holding-sniper-as-navy-seal-killed-in-double-slaying-at-erath-county-gun-range.ece

Chris Kyle, record-holding sniper as Navy SEAL, killed in double slaying at Erath County gun range

Chris Kyle, a former Navy SEAL who was the U.S. military’s deadliest sharpshooter and wrote the best-selling book American Sniper, was fatally shot Saturday in a double slaying at an Erath County gun range, the U.S. Marshals Service said.

The alleged shooter

Investigators said that Routh, a former Marine who sources said is believed to suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome, shot Kyle and the second victim at point-blank range. No information was available on the second victim late Saturday.

Wars never seem to end for those who have participated in them.

Culpeper
02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but do SEALs normally make public what they have done on missions? Aren't they told to abide by whatever opsec for their own safety. I have to say his book is a little beyond what I think the SEALs want out their on the public stage. He sort of made himself into a celebrity and possibly put himself in this position on his own. I was always put off a little about an autobiography book by a SEAL claiming to be the deadliest sniper on earth. This whole thing does not add up to dry ####. Very tragic and avoidable.

Bill Moore
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I think 99.9% of the SEALs are quiet professionals. A very small percentage get got up on the self-pride of being a SEAL (not undeserved) and huff and puff in public a little too much. Still I can't think of more than three personalties that were guilty of this starting with Richard Marcinko? We all make mistakes when we're younger that we regret later, but despite his the bravado in his book it seems to me he still served very honorably in a tough job, so in my opinion his loss is still a tragedy.

gute
02-03-2013, 10:17 PM
He wrote a good book and it was quite interesting. He did not put anything in his book that's not already known, nor was his book a rah, rah look at me I'm awesome. I feel really bad for his family, brother and the friend's family. Chris Lyle was conducting some type of charity event for Marines with PTSD. Lyle's brother was or he still might be in the Corps. Some POS killed him and the friend. Nothing too complicated about that or putting yourself out there - IMO. I don't know if this was some type of therapy event, but the only thing I would question is mixing PTSD and firearms.

Culpeper
02-04-2013, 03:17 AM
I don't get mixing firearms with PTSD as well. That seems to have been a very stupid mistake.

davidbfpo
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I am sure this story is being covered in the USA, but I found a NYT article useful.
a mentor to other veterans, sometimes taking them shooting at a gun range near his Texas home as a kind of therapy to salve battlefield scars, friends said. One such veteran was Eddie Ray Routh, a 25-year-old Marine who had served tours in Iraq and Haiti.

But on Saturday, far from a war zone, Mr. Routh turned on Mr. Kyle, 38, and a second man, Chad Littlefield, 35, shortly after they arrived at an exclusive shooting range...

Link:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/us/chris-kyle-american-sniper-author-reported-killed.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130204

bourbon
06-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Two long-form articles on the legend of Chris Kyle, both are good reads - the Schmidle article especially:

In the Crosshairs - Chris Kyle, a decorated sniper, tried to help a troubled veteran. The result was tragic (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/06/03/130603fa_fact_schmidle), by Nicholas Schmidle. The New Yorker, 3 June 2013.

The Legend of Chris Kyle - The deadliest sniper in U.S. history performed near miracles on the battlefield. Then he had to come home (http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Magazine/2013/April/The_Legend_of_Chris_Kyle_01.aspx), by Michael J. Mooney. D Magazine, April 2013.