PDA

View Full Version : History of Military Operational Parachute Jumps

jcustis
10-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Download it while the link lasts. Moderator adds still a live link today June 22nd 2018.

The level of detail within the file is fascinating (63 pages of summary detail from 1939 to 2013), and took a lot of time to compile for sure.

http://www.specialforcesassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Combat_Jump_Record_03.07.2013.pdf

(http://www.specialforcesassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Combat_Jump_Record_03.07.2013.pdf)

davidbfpo
10-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Jon,

Good catch.:)

Fascinating to see drops by the Japanese in the Dutch East Indies (never heard of those), the Italian raiding groups (I knew of mini-subs), the NKVD drops in France - presumably assisted by the RAF, that is really odd (although somewhere I have an INS article on wider co-operation) and the German Brandenburg raid in Iraq in 1944.

Sent onwards to a collector of SF insertions, in case not aware.

JMA
10-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Jon,

Good catch.:)

Fascinating to see drops by the Japanese in the Dutch East Indies (never heard of those), the Italian raiding groups (I knew of mini-subs), the NKVD drops in France - presumably assisted by the RAF, that is really odd (although somewhere I have an INS article on wider co-operation) and the German Brandenburg raid in Iraq in 1944.

Sent onwards to a collector of SF insertions, in case not aware.

Rhodesian military operational jumps woefully under recorded. Will have to initiate a project to rectify that by supplying the info.

omarali50
10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
per @pavocavalry, Pakistani commandos also paradropped in three places in Balochistan in 1973 (counter-insurgency operation): Maiwand , Kahan and Kolhu

also, per @shahidsaeed there was a huge paradrop during operation Rah e Rast in 2009 in Swat, Pakistan (anti-Taliban operation). I am not sure about this one personally. Sounds exaggerated to me.

Still, both of these people are hugely knowledgeable about Pakistani military history. Worth looking into and adding.

davidbfpo
03-01-2015, 03:33 PM
After a discussion with a local historian of the Soviet Union in WW2, who is interested in NKVD special operations, I found this history link is still working. He is referring the UK-assisted NKVD drops into France to a US historian of the Red Army for his comment.