PDA

View Full Version : Grants for a certification program of study?

jcustis
01-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Gents,

Figured I'd throw this out here, as someone may have had a similar situation and cracked the code.

I'm looking at enrolling in a distance education opportunity that does not fall under a VA accredited program. MGIB and tuition assistance cannot be applied, or at least all of the education centers have said so.

Military members can submit a particular DD form to pay for the training, but the Marine Corps doesn't work that way, and I simply do not have the kind of disposable income required to enroll in the course.

I've looked at a number of research grant opportunities, but they are usually focused towards people who don't do much beyond bouncing around one research opportunity to the next, and don't hold down real jobs.

So, the BLUF is that I'm looking for a funding source (preferably a grant) to the tune of $2,500, that is geared towards folks who are working at the graduate level, and in a professional certification track.

The program I'm interested in is the United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Programme of Correspondence Instruction in Peacekeeping Operations:

http://www.unitarpoci.org/general_info.php

As I investigated grant sources for this, I quickly realized that the first 400 Google hits were most likely centered on a prospective student starting or continuing undergraduate studies. There are a few grant sources on the fringe, but they either so large (up to $80,000 a year) that they require your research to be your only job, or they want nothing to do with military personnel.

I know there has to be something out there, but I've about exhausted my patience, even though I believe that "nothing escapes Google".

selil
01-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Well.... right now no grants are being handed out by NSF as they are operating on a continuing resolution.

Some possibles for picking up the tab would be the UN itself. Perhaps one of the military graduate schools or accademies. This is pretty far afield from my grant funding organizations (see comment about NSF above) for me to know to much. Maybe something like the Marine Corps/Army University systems?

Shek
01-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Gents,

Figured I'd throw this out here, as someone may have had a similar situation and cracked the code.

I'm looking at enrolling in a distance education opportunity that does not fall under a VA accredited program. MGIB and tuition assistance cannot be applied, or at least all of the education centers have said so.

Military members can submit a particular DD form to pay for the training, but the Marine Corps doesn't work that way, and I simply do not have the kind of disposable income required to enroll in the course.

I've looked at a number of research grant opportunities, but they are usually focused towards people who don't do much beyond bouncing around one research opportunity to the next, and don't hold down real jobs.

So, the BLUF is that I'm looking for a funding source (preferably a grant) to the tune of $2,500, that is geared towards folks who are working at the graduate level, and in a professional certification track.

The program I'm interested in is the United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Programme of Correspondence Instruction in Peacekeeping Operations:

http://www.unitarpoci.org/general_info.php

As I investigated grant sources for this, I quickly realized that the first 400 Google hits were most likely centered on a prospective student starting or continuing undergraduate studies. There are a few grant sources on the fringe, but they either so large (up to $80,000 a year) that they require your research to be your only job, or they want nothing to do with military personnel.

I know there has to be something out there, but I've about exhausted my patience, even though I believe that "nothing escapes Google".

J,

Try contacting INSS, AWC, and CGSC as a start. Between one of those three, I'm thinking you could probably at least get some references to alternate sources.

Shek

jcustis
01-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Try contacting INSS, AWC, and CGSC as a start.

Could you break these acronyms down please?

SWJED
01-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Institute for National Security Studies, Air War College and Command and General Staff College.

Shek
01-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Sorry :redface: Thanks for the assist, SWJED, although I had the Army War Colleg in mind for AWC. Nonetheless, contacting any of the senior level service schools would be worth you time, as all it takes is talking to the right person who can give you the lead you need. I don't have any specific POCs, but I know that INSS will kick research funds for a lot of instructors up here at West Point, and I would think that given the recent push for getting folks to grad school in the Army, my guess is that research funds have probably grown some such that finding the right person at CGSC/AWC could result in the gravy train you're looking for.

Shek

jcustis
01-29-2007, 02:19 AM
INSS looks the most promising right now, so all I have to do is put the right spin on things and give it a shot. Thanks for the direct.

bismark17
02-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Maybe there should be a seperate category for training bulletins? If an Agency or Military element is sponsoring some form of training they can post it. Or if nothing else we can provide critiques of training that we have received that might be of relevance to end users of this site. I am eagerly looking forward to an upcoming class on the lessons learned at Beslan. The book the trainer wrote was very good. Just an idea....