PDA

View Full Version : National Anti-Terror Training Facility in Los Alamitos

sgmgrumpy
01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
LAPD chief seeks money for anti-terror academy

http://www.kfty.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=8ea14770-6e69-4309-a8e2-0bd68fc67747

Bratton will seek federal funding for a research center where law enforcement officers from around the country can study terrorism.

L-A County Sheriff Lee Baca will go along. He's not asking for money yet but the sheriff is pulling together plans to create a national anti-terror training facility in Los Alamitos.

The tactical center would have mock villages and other locations where authorities could practice dealing with suicide bombings and other terror attacks.

SWJED
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
.... has two of the nation's experts on terror and related issues working for them - Capt. Sid Heal and Sgt. John Sullivan.

sgmgrumpy
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I think it's a great idea. Assuming operational dollars would be separate from support dollars. Will the Feds pay for State Controlled law enforcement officers to train at the site? A train the trainer program for each state/local jurisdictions may initially be a good start.

Unfortunately, this will probably get buried in all the other "stay out of my turf" areas in DHS.

slapout9
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Sid Heal is also head of their Non-Lethal Weapons Program, which is A++ in my humble opinion.

bismark17
01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Yea, I agree. This would be great if a nationwide standard was created but otherwise its a lot of fluff. The study of terrorism is great but it needs to be broke down for the end users. Patrol officers need to know the end user stuff of coming up on a scene during their random patrol or via dispatch. The Analysts have their own thing going on with what they do or should be doing based on various indicators they come by.

The whole concept needs to be done for each specific end user . If someone is dumping mercury in subways for an example, that would be a possible pre incident indicator, and has training value for everyone. Each sub-element should be trained on what should be done. The dispatchers need to know to dispatch someone and not blow it off.

The Patrol officers need to know that this might be something more than just a mere mental and make proper notifications. Follow Up Units need to understand the indicators and how to respond and realize it could be a dry run for something else. The problem with a lot of L.E. training is that its not specific enough. It has to be tailored for each sub-element.