PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Terrorist Trail by H. John Poole

Stratiotes
02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
This is one you may have already seen at the DNI site:
http://www.d-n-i.net/dni_reviews/hord_review_terrorist_trail.htm

Terrorist Trail: Backtracking the Foreign Fighter, by H. John Poole, Ray L. Smith (Foreword), Mike Leahy (Illustrator)
Posterity Press (NC), September 20, 2006; 348 pp.

Only a few military thinkers have given us the insight and practical help that John Poole has over the years. In Terrorist Trail, "Gunny" Poole provides the insight we need to win the war on terror. Poole helps us see that it is not so much a military problem or even a political problem as it is a law enforcement problem. The problems have no quick solutions such as bombing or killing as many insurgents as possible. It is a fourth-generation-war (4GW) that requires a 4GW solution.

....snip.....

Poole is one of the most innovative and creative thinkers to have served in the US military. He surely understands from experience that his observations will not likely create the revolution in military and political thinking required to bring about these changes. Yet, he is one more voice crying in the wilderness, and we can pray that his observations can be heard before long. His message from the heartfelt acknowledgement to the final page is one of great hope for the future. Get the book, recommend it to your congressman, share it with military people on your gift lists. Help spread the word any way you can; it is a serious matter that needs to be addressed and only with the clamor of a great crowd will it be heard.

bismark17
02-11-2007, 05:45 AM
I have to agree with the review. The book is really good and should be a must read for anyone interested in ground combat or current events. The nexus of China, the Jihadists, and Africa that he discusses is very interesting. I also really liked his section on warfare in the southern part of Africa. If you are well read on it there isn't much new but he still puts a unique spin on several elements of the story.