PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Little Wars and Low Intensity Conflict

pak
02-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Hello.

I am looking for information realting to a past Command and General Staf College product entitled:

"Victorian Little Wars and Low Intensity Conflict"

The one link I found on the web was broken and I would like to know what this item consisted of.

pak

Stratiotes
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I doesn't sound exactly what you're looking for but it sounds a lot like "Queen Victoria's Little Wars" by Farwell
http://www.amazon.com/Victorias-Little-Wordsworth-Military-Library/dp/1840222166/sr=8-1/qid=1171912753/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0452800-1270449?ie=UTF8&s=books

SWJED
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
... even tried Victoria's (instead of Victorian) Little Wars and Queen Victoria's Little Wars. There are a lot of related items out there but no CGSC paper that I could locate. We have some CGSC Prof's, students and fromer students in the Council - maybe they can help here.

Stan
02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I found this on Geneva's websites, but not sure if this is what you were after. Be careful though, Marc will have a field day with this one !

http://www.wilpf.int.ch/publications/womenmilitarism.htm

Militarism in various forms dominates states all over the world, and its basic value of "power over the other" influences the population which begins to accept the suitability of violence as a method of resolving conflicts. Although war and the military are considered to be "men's work," armed conflict and the militarist ideology have had a great impact on women all over the world. A gender analysis of militarism is essential to both feminists and peace activists who are working towards a world free of all forms of violence, injustice and oppression. Military values contribute to the construction of narrow definitions of masculine and feminine characteristics and this should be addressed by feminists in search of an alternative society without rigid gender roles. Patriarchy is one of the roots of militarism, so a gender analysis is useful to peace activists, in order to challenge the basic ideology of militarism, rather than just addressing its effects. An examination of the effects of militarism on women in both peace and war time show that women do have a specific concern with militarism and war and therefore a large stake in working for peace.

John T. Fishel
02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Amazon has copies of Byron Farwell's book, Queen Victoria's Little Wars. It is quite good. When I was teaching at Leavenworth 92 - 97, we didn't have any specific course material that addressed the topic in this way. I did, however, publish an article in a 1995 number of the now defunct journal, Low Intensity Conflict & Law Enforcement entitled, "Little Wars, Small Wars, LIC, OOTW, The Gap, and Things That Go Bump in the Night." The CARL has copies of all 13 volumes of LIC&LE.

selil
07-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Does anybody have a outside accessible link to this defunct journal "Low Intensity Conflict & Law Enforcement".

I see Steve Metz has used the term "Low Intensity Conflict" in one of his articles "THE REVOLUTION IN MILITARY AFFAIRS AND CONFLICT SHORT OF WAR".

I'm trying to figure out if there is a substantial difference between "counter" insurgency and "low intensity conflict". I can make cases for and against, but finding academic journals other than peace studies is not shall we say easy.

John T. Fishel
07-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Sam--

As the former editor of LIC&LE, there are on-line versions available from the publisher, Taylor & Francis, but they do not include all volumes. I am not sure when the journal became available in electronic version but it was sometime after 2000.

As to your query about LIC, COIN, etc: My view is that the best term embracing all aspects of what is often called LIC is Small Wars (and it's not perfect). Insurgency and COIN are simply two forms (or 2 faces of the same form) of small wars but there are many small wars that are not insurgencies.

The post of the USMC list of small wars is pretty good although some cases were not included because they were interstate wars while other interestate wars (Chaco War for instance) were. And, in Africa, the classic Zulu War was not.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

JohnT

PS T&F wants money for their electronic versions:(
PPS LIC&LE has been incorporated into its sister journal, Small Wars & Insurgencies - same publisher

Dr Jack
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
From Max Boot's testimony before the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Terrorism, Unconventional Threats, and Capabilities on June 29, 2006:

http://www.cfr.org/publication/11027/statement_before_the_house_armed_services_subcommi ttee_on_terrorism_unconventional_threats_and_capab ilities.html

Consider the case of Colonel Robert Warburton, who spoke fluent Persian and Pashto and spent 18 years (1879-1897) as the political officer in the Northwest Frontier province of what is today Pakistan. He kept this volatile region (now a Taliban and al Qaeda stronghold) quiet through his personal influence. “In an area where every male was habitually armed at all times,” historian Byron Farwell wrote in Queen Victoria’s Little Wars, “he went about with only a walking stick.” Within a month of his retirement, the area was swept by an Islamic fundamentalist revolt that took thousands of British soldiers to put down.