PDA

View Full Version : Who is the smallest Deminer ?

Stan
02-18-2007, 10:17 PM
http://maic.jmu.edu/journal/9.2/RD/verhagen/verhagen.htm

The study in this article showed that using rats to evaluate mine risk is a very promising mine-detection method. When three rats were used to evaluate a contaminated area, the success rate was 95 percent, showing that rats can be a speedy and cost-effective means of mine detection.

A rat by the name of Lothar found 4 out of 4 mines in 165 square meters achieving 100 percent :eek:

bismark17
02-19-2007, 02:26 AM
your killing me, Stan.....:D Wait til they can embed chips into them. With what your stating entire Detective slots and MOS's will be removed by trained and embedded rats.....:eek: I still want to go to EOD!

Bowman
02-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Interesting ! From the article and graphs this is a learned reponse ? Should be very interesting to see further results as these rats gain more experience. Clever idea !

Well fed rats !!

120mm
02-19-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm doing an Afghan project at work, and mine removal is becoming a critical issue in some provinces/locales. There are communities where children have to conduct a mine-breach passage to go to friggin' school, and understandably, the locals are wondering why the Coalition isn't doing anything about it.

Perhaps there is some room for a "Strategic Rat" next to those "Strategic Corporals?"

Stan
02-19-2007, 08:06 AM
We're still using German Shepherds :D

where children have to conduct a mine-breach passage to go to friggin' school

We routinely visit 12 to 15 schools a year for mine awareness training (those areas considered to be highly effected by UXO). Some of the children wonder "where did these AT mines come from, if the Estonian government stated there are none?"

The Estonian infantry would sneak around at night, dig up the Russian's ATs and put the mines elsewhere such as on the frozen Narva river. Unfortunately, they left the mines there and when the river began to thaw, the mines went to the bottom where they are to this day.

Anyway, some of our target audience are these same grade school children, who swim in the shallows of the Narva river and at times, bring things (back) to the surface :eek: