PDA

View Full Version : FMSO "Dealing with the Iraqi Populace"

kaur
03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/iraqi-populace.pdf

Stan
03-01-2007, 03:14 PM
This tends to say it all, but granted there's a lot more at stake for our folks!
Thanks for the article, Kaur !

How can we get the Iraqis to support us in the counterinsurgency fight? The answer is very simple—improve the quality and increase the quantity of our cultural training prior to deployment, so that Soldiers and commanders will be able to understand and respond to the needs of the Iraqi people.

We cannot expect the troops to understand Iraqi culture simply by viewing
a one- or two-hour PowerPoint® presentation. Cultural training should represent a large portion of the troops’ predeployment training, especially for maneuver and civil affairs units. During this phase, the troops should learn basic Arabic words, gain some understanding of Islam, and focus on becoming familiar with the terrain, history, ethnicities, level of cooperation, and prior coalition activities in their Area of Operations (AO).

I would have thought we were already doing this ?

sullygoarmy
03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
This tends to say it all, but granted there's a lot more at stake for our folks!
Thanks for the article, Kaur !

I would have thought we were already doing this ?

When I went over to Iraq, I received the one hour cultural "awareness" powerpoint brief and that was it. Totally inadequate for what our troops really need to know. I think our military is much better than it was a few years back. The current crop of advisors get some much more indepth cultural understanding.

In my opinion, we need to strive for cultural effectiveness, not just cultural awareness. Cultural effectiveness means we not only understand the culture but are able to work with its strengths and understand its weaknesses to ensure we do not stumble across a cultural landmine.

Remember, most units are now in what I call the "IRAQFORGEN" where a unit returns home, resets and retrains to go back to Iraq then deploys. There's not alot of time to get in this important cultural training when people are looking at weapons qualification, force protection training, etc. In my humble opinion, however, the cultural effectiveness is just as if not more important than alot of our other predeployment focus.

120mm
03-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Hell, most of the Generals learn everything they will ever learn about their units from a one or two hour powerpoint display. Why shouldn't they expect their troops to instantly become -experts- in culture the same way they command their units?

Dakota
03-03-2007, 03:21 AM
I fear this kind of thing is far more common than people realize.

It is extremely shortsighted and incredibly discouraging but not surprising.

I'm a Soldier and my wife is a western educated Iraqi, fluent in Arabic, Farsi and Kurdish (as well as English) and is more "pro-American" than most US Citizens I run into.

For over a year she's repeatedly offered to come into local Reserve units to give presentations, provide cultural training or language training or just participate in a general Q and A session either for NCODP or ODP... basically whatever the commanders want... for free, on her own time and her own dime.

She's even offered to travel to other units to do this. Just so she can make a contribution back to the military and the Nation who helped free her people.

Never a nibble... nada, zip.

If we lose the wars we are in right now it will be because of short-sighted, desk-bound bureaucratic bean-counters and folks in command (like the RRC's) who are more concerned with making their spreadsheets look good than with actually getting soldiers quality training in sufficient quantities.

I can not begin to tell you how frustrated I am with the willful negligence and ignorance I've experienced and witnessed.

120mm
03-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I apologize for the reserve's lack of interest, but they are being inundated with mandatory training and "good ideas" from higher, few of which are relevant to warfighting.

Every drill we come in with a training plan, and every drill it is "####-canned" in favor of 4 hours of mandatory "grill safety" and "outdoor swimming pool" training, which can get the chain of command fired if they refused to do. I understand completely unit level reticence to put another briefing/class on the schedule.

Bottom line, noone is getting fired for failing to teach cultural stuff relevant to the current conflict.

I share your frustration. Just look at the COIN section of BCKS. Pretty much "frogs and crickets."

Dakota
03-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I apologize for the reserve's lack of interest...

No need for you to apoligize for Gen's Stultz or Broadway... unless you are one of those two individiuals! ;)

but they are being inundated with mandatory training and "good ideas" from higher, few of which are relevant to warfighting...

I've seen alot of mandatory training and but very few good ideas.

Seems like most drill is spent screwing around with "paper drills" and replicating stuff that was done in previous months.

Every drill we come in with a training plan, and every drill it is "####-canned" in favor of 4 hours of mandatory "grill safety" and "outdoor swimming pool" training, which can get the chain of command fired if they refused to do.

My commander is a former enlisted guy and hes mentioned that he has his resignation letter in his BDU pocket at all times that only needs his signature and a date on it. No one higher up bothers him to much... The Reserves is far too short of officers right now to ####can anyone over trivial stuff.

I understand completely unit level reticence to put another briefing/class on the schedule.

I understand the concern about time - there is little enough of it as it is. But even for units that are getting spun up to go - the command knows of these units but does not take advantage of the opportunity to train.

Bottom line, no one is getting fired for failing to teach cultural stuff relevant to the current conflict.

There are quite a few people who should be fired, IMHO.

Seems my higher command would rather send people to the EO Rep or HazMat course than Counter IED or SDM. I'm sure the Mahdi Army or Taliban are very concerned about my units EO status or HazMat certification.

As I said before... If we loose this war it's because of simple stupidity and basic negligence.

As far as a the Reserves goes... its nothing more than an easily tappable, low cost, captive pool of labor for the Active forces. Warm bodies - on demand... thats it. The acutal reality of the Reserve Forces is so far from the concept that it is absurd. BLUF, after 16 years between active and reserves my conclusion is that the Reserve model is unrealistic and is a broken one.

I share your frustration. Just look at the COIN section of BCKS. Pretty much "frogs and crickets."

I'm on BCKS, including COIN, so I know what you mean.

I've posted some things to the IED forum that were derived from completely unclassified and open-source information and have been badgered to censor it.

Another problem could be that the Armies IT and web efforts are phenomonally disjointed and unsyncronized... but thats for another thread.

RTK
03-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I fear this kind of thing is far more common than people realize.

It is extremely shortsighted and incredibly discouraging but not surprising.

I'm a Soldier and my wife is a western educated Iraqi, fluent in Arabic, Farsi and Kurdish (as well as English) and is more "pro-American" than most US Citizens I run into.

For over a year she's repeatedly offered to come into local Reserve units to give presentations, provide cultural training or language training or just participate in a general Q and A session either for NCODP or ODP... basically whatever the commanders want... for free, on her own time and her own dime.

She's even offered to travel to other units to do this. Just so she can make a contribution back to the military and the Nation who helped free her people.

Never a nibble... nada, zip.

If we lose the wars we are in right now it will be because of short-sighted, desk-bound bureaucratic bean-counters and folks in command (like the RRC's) who are more concerned with making their spreadsheets look good than with actually getting soldiers quality training in sufficient quantities.

I can not begin to tell you how frustrated I am with the willful negligence and ignorance I've experienced and witnessed.

Dakota,
PM me some contact information. I may be able to swing you and your wife a free trip to Washington State to help a unit preparing for deployment. Let me know if you're interested.
RTK

SWJED
03-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Dakota,
PM me some contact information. I may be able to swing you and your wife a free trip to Washington State to help a unit preparing for deployment. Let me know if you're interested.
RTK

PM me your location - while I might not be able to swing an all expensed paid trip for two - I might be able to do something - especially if you are in or near the DC metro area. I'd also like a bit more background in the PM or e-mail. Thanks and also - welcome to the Council...

Dave D.

Dakota
03-06-2007, 05:19 AM
SWJED, RTK,

PM send, with contact info.

120mm - got your message and working a reply.

~Dakota

Dakota
03-10-2007, 12:44 AM
SWJED, RTK,

Gents,

I did as you asked and sent you a PM.

I have yet to hear from you, but would like to.

Please drop me a line.

RTK
03-10-2007, 05:16 AM
SWJED, RTK,

Gents,

I did as you asked and sent you a PM.

I have yet to hear from you, but would like to.

Please drop me a line.

I'm on leave. I'm working the issue but the SCO just went on E-leave. More to follow...

Dakota
03-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm on leave. I'm working the issue but the SCO just went on E-leave. More to follow...

Not a problem, just checking.

I thought maybe I had somehow screwed up the PM/IM...

While I'm familiar with newgroups/threaded discussions... this particular one is new to me.

Contact me via the email address l provided when you folks are ready.

Thanks.