PDA

View Full Version : Good-to-go Resident PME programs for Capts

Smitten Eagle
03-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Greetings, all. It's getting to be about that time where I really need to buckle down and start dealing with this resident PME issue.

I know that the EWS Course is probably pretty good to go as far as dealing with current ops, but what about the various Army Captain's Career Courses? Are they any good? Anybody with recent experience?

Jimbo
03-13-2007, 01:57 PM
What branch of service are you? Traditionally, at the O-3 level there is not a lot of inter-service exchange. There are some exchanges between the Army and Marines because of similarity of function for O-3's. However, the Navy really doen't have the same type of PME for O-3's and I am not sure what the USAF does at squadron officers school.

Jimbo
03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Smitten Eagle, your detailer should have a breakdown of slots as to how many your branch of service is authorized at U.S. Army Captain's Career Courses. The key is findin the one that meets your experience/future. I know you guys don't really have branches, but the Army tries to marry you guys up with what CC makes sense. So if you are Armor, LAR, IN then Ft Benning is for you, AD and FA you would go to Sill. If you are pilot or a loggie, I am not sure how you would guys operate becuase your planning considerations are very different than the Army's.

Ironhorse
03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
I see from your profile you are USMC, MOS unknown. Unless you have a branch-specific entre into an Army school (e.g. arty or tank/lav) I strongly recommend EWS for the general man-about-town action.

The POI at ILS lends itself better to the joint environment. At CLS, you are still in the tradecraft arena. Become the MAGTF officer at EWS, and the joint guy at ILS.

Re your underlying question, I think, on adaption of curriculum to current ops, I believe you'll find EWS fairly good in that area due to small size => responsiveness, plus USMC willingness to chuck the old POI and squeeze out a new one.

Van
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Eagle,
I concur with Ironhorse. As a Captain/O-3, you're still in the hands-on (relatively) strata of the officer corps. EWS or a relevant Army CCC is the way to go. A possible exception might be if you're a communications/signal guy and there is an opportunity to go to a USAF school (Advanced Communications Officer Training at Kessler AFB, MS). There are probably other exceptions, but I wouldn't expend a silver bullet trying to get one. Save that for when you're a MAJ.

If you want some of that Joint flavor in your life, you can do non-resident courses from the other services. You'd gain some insight into their thought processes and lots of frame-able paper for your wall. I'd have to recommend holding off until after you've done what the Marines expect of you.

V

Smitten Eagle
03-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks, gents. Much appreciated.