PDA

View Full Version : Happy Nowruz

SWCAdmin
03-21-2007, 10:50 PM
From our friends at the American Iranian Council:

نوروزتان پيروز . عيد شما مبارک
هموطن ایرانی . دوست گرامی
ضمن سلام، سال 1386 را به شما تبریک عرض کرده و آرزو ميکنم
که سال جدید منشاء تحولات مثبت و مهمی در زندگی ما ایرانيان وجهانيان باشد.
هوشنگ اميراحمدی

www.amirahmadi.com (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=ramiz6bab.0.k6mzdxbab.cb5godbab.25876&ts=S0233&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amirahmadi.com%2F)

NOWRUZ GREETINGS
Dear Friends, Let me take this opportunity to share with you the joy of celebrating the Iranian New Year, Nowruz, and wish you the best in 1386! The New Year begins March 21, 2007

Hooshang Amirahmadi

Nowruz, new day or New Year as the Iranians call it, is a celebration of spring Equinox. It has been celebrated by all the major cultures of ancient Mesopotamia for over 3 millennia. What we have today as Nowruz with its uniquely Iranian characteristics has been celebrated for at least 3000 years and is deeply rooted in the traditions of Zoroastrian belief system, the pre-Islamic religion of the Iranian people.

slapout9
03-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok, I give up. Somebody explain Zoroastrian to me? First we had Shia Hillbilly's and now we have Zoro in Iran. What is next Redneck Sunnis!

Sarajevo071
03-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Ok, I give up. Somebody explain Zoroastrian to me? First we had Shia Hillbilly's and now we have Zoro in Iran. What is next Redneck Sunnis!

:D :D !!

Zoroastrians are not big in Iran anymore. They used to. It's to complicated for me to explain now (getting late) but I can give you some info tomorrow if you wish. ;)

selil
03-22-2007, 05:00 AM
"Zoroastrianism" and Zarathustra was basically a prophet that pre-dates judeaism, and is one of the first monotheistic religions and likely a precursor for judeaism and vedic beliefs. In a nut shell it's the root.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrian

Sarajevo071
03-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Zoroastrian faith and philosophy

At present time there are about 200/000 Zoroastrians throughout the world. Most of the worlds Zoroastrians, who are about 100/000, are living in India and they are called Parsis. Due to the Arabs' invasion of Iran, which was cruel (_See Koran Sura 9 “Al Tauba “ Ayeh 5 and 29 and 123 ) , most Parsis left their own country, and emigrated to India in the ninth century. Even, at present time, if Iranians are asked about Zoroastrians identity, most of them will answer, those people are fire worshipers and like Jews and other pagans and Christians are unclean people ( See Koran Sura 9 Ayeh 28 ).

In western countries also, the people are not quite familiar with Zoroastrian philosophy. When they are heard of Zarathustra, they are reminded of “Thus Spoke Zarathustra,” written by celebrated German philosopher, Nietzsche. Therefore, it can be rightly said that Zoroastrian philosophy, which was the main religious belief system of ancient Iranians and for about several hundred years was the basis of the Iranian culture and their life style, now is almost forgotten. Therefore, our purpose is to fathom this aged Zoroastrian culture, in order to recognize the truth of such a rich philosophical faith, which has been the foundation of the ancient Iranian civilization, and thus try to repudiate the incorrect pre-judgements against it.

Is Zoroastrian Monotheism Philosophy or Religion in History?

More info here. Real Iranian zoroastrian:

http://www.zoroaster.net/indexe.htm

Tom Odom
03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
The 3rd people of the "book" meaning the Qur'an. Much symbology is attached to fire as part of this belief system.

The symbol of fire: The energy of the creator is represented in Zoroastrianism by fire and the sun which are both enduring, radiant, pure and life sustaining. Zoroastrians usually pray in front of some form of fire (or any source of light). (It is important to note that fire is not worshipped by Zoroastrians, but is used simply as symbol and a point of focus, much like the crucifix in Christianity. For details, see Fire temple)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

For Slapout:
"…I profess myself a devotee of Mazda, a follower of Zarathustra." has nothing to do with RX-7s or RX-8s :wry:

Best

Tom

Sarajevo071
03-22-2007, 04:36 PM
To learn more (and to maybe confuse you even more) see Mithraism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

The term "Mithraism" is modern. In antiquity, texts refer to "the mysteries of Mithras", and to its adherents, as "the mysteries of the Persians." This latter epithet is significant, not for whether the Mithraists considered the object of their devotion a Persian divinity, but for the fact that the devotees were convinced that their religion was founded by Zoroaster.

Tom, isn’t true that major “fault” of Mithraism and Zoroastrianism was that duality of Divinity? I believe that’s reason why Roman Empire went in coalition with Islamic Empire and wage war against Persians. Early Christians took heavily from Mithraism and adopt many similarities in they own teachings. Even in descriptions of birth of Mithra and Jesus, and the way of coming back… They say even today you can see some carvings of Mithraism in Vatican.

wm
03-22-2007, 06:02 PM
To learn more (and to maybe confuse you even more) see Mithraism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism

Tom, isn’t true that major “fault” of Mithraism and Zoroastrianism was that duality of Divinity? I believe that’s reason why Roman Empire went in coalition with Islamic Empire and wage war against Persians. Early Christians took heavily from Mithraism and adopt many similarities in they own teachings. Even in descriptions of birth of Mithra and Jesus, and the way of coming back… They say even today you can see some carvings of Mithraism in Vatican.

Mithraism was one of many mystery religions prevalent in the Roman Empire around the beginning of the Christian Era. Others included the Dionysiac cult; the cults of the Great Mother, Cybele, and Sol Invictus; and practitioners of the Eleusian Mysteries to name just a few. It is not completely clear from where Mithraism originated--most allege from Persian Mazdeism/Zoroastrianism, but some say it came from Phrygia (a client state and later Roman province on the Anatolian Peninsula--home of King Midas of golden touch fame), pointing to the Phrygian cap that Mithras wears in his iconography. Mithraism was believed to have been extensively practiced within the legions, that is, it was a religion for soldiers. According to one version, Mithras was the son of the god of light who was killed in a struggle with the god of darkness. He supposedly was resurrected from the dead after 3 days. Some scholars allege that it was a prime contender with early Christianity for becoming the religious hegemon in the Empire. The argument goes on that it lost out because it, unlike Chrisitianity, excluded women.

As far as I know no coalition existed between Romans and Arabs, especially not Islamic Arabs, to wage war against the Persians. For one thing, Rome ceased to exist as an Empire long before the birth of Mohammed. The Byzantine successor to Rome in the East alled itself with Germanic barbarians, like Goths and Vandals, not Arabs. During an earlier period (3rd Century AD), one Roman emperor was know as Philip the Arab--he may have been from Palmyra, which, under its queen Zenobia, served as a bulwark against Persian incursions against the Roman Empire during the period after the death of Commodus called the military anarchy.

slapout9
03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Sarajevo, thanks for the links it is very interesting. Good Reflections,Good Words,Good Deeds I can live with that.

Tom, I think I am too and all this time I thought I was a Baptist:confused: I never new their was a relationship to Zen and the concept of Right Livelihood, Dharma, etc. until reading all the links.

J Wolfsberger
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
slapout9,

Don't leave out Zen and the RX-8.

Regards,

Tom Odom
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Sarajevo, you jumped about 10 levels ahead of my understanding in this arena.

Wolfberger, you have to admit this would make an interesting "Firebird"-type hood on an RX-8 :wry:

And Slapout as a fellow Baptist who fell long ago, you are a Baptist. They do not have rattle snakes in Iran so they could never be "real" Baptists.

Now I know I am gonna get stoned, pilloried, and perhaps worse:eek:

Tom

Jedburgh
03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
...a simple Nevroz piroz be turned into an interesting discussion....that could perhaps profit from being moved up into the Social Sciences, Moral and Religious forum....

Tom Odom
03-22-2007, 07:00 PM
:D
...a simple Nevroz piroz be turned into an interesting discussion....that could perhaps profit from being moved up into the Social Sciences, Moral and Religious forum....

Guess I lowered that bar.....

J Wolfsberger
03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Wolfberger, you have to admit this would make an interesting "Firebird"-type hood on an RX-8 :wry:

It would indeed. But, Slapout, I learned the hard way in Mobile that driving a red (closest I could get to Crimson) Camero is trouble. I recommend White.

The emblem will stand out nicely.

Roll Tide,

slapout9
03-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi Jay, ah yes "Zen and the art of RX8 maintenance" I will have to remember that. Red cars which tend to be "Fast Movers" will always get stopped by Alabama State Troopers, I'm telling you it is pathological with them. Reminds me of that old Dodge commercial "You in a heap a trouble boy,operating a racing type vehicle in the city limits" Thats right Roll Tide!

Tom, snakes are your friends. You remember that guy in Miami??Hess I think is name was, he was bitten over a hundred times by Cobras. He started injecting himself with the venom in small doses and actually became immune. Used to be the largest producing of Cobra anti-venom in the world. Now that is a Baptist!

Sarajevo071
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
WM, I would like to think that I read something about it some 15 years ago but I can’t swear on it. Geting old I guess. :o I will keep looking for that. But, thank you for corrections and plenty of other info.

Slapout9, you are welcome… I agree. Those are good principles. Liked Zen to.

selil
03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
So I should drive an RX8 if I'm baptist?

J Wolfsberger
03-22-2007, 09:20 PM

I guess if it moves it would have to be there. SWJ doesn't have an automotive forum...

Sam, I don't know if Baptist has anything to do with RX-8. My hunch is we should all be driving two seaters or sports coupes. Right now, I prefer Mustang. But the RX-8 is on the agenda a couple years down the road (if Dodge drops the ball on the new Challenger).

slapout9
03-22-2007, 11:48 PM
1970 Redneck Sheriff Dodge Challanger commercial. "Now look Boy I no A race car when I see one.":D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WICosbX8k

Tom Odom
03-23-2007, 05:36 PM
So I should drive an RX8 if I'm baptist?

Only if you have been using the "Baptist Window" at the local liquor store :eek:

selil
03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
The degeneration of this thread reminds me of what a Gunny told me recently. Throughout his career everty time there is a war on enlistment bonuses go through the roof and every sergeant ends up driving a Corvette. When there isn't a war on only 1st Lt.s buy Corvettes (supposedly Captains buy Minivans).