PDA

View Full Version : EBO And Law Enforcement

slapout9
04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
I was cleaning out some old files and found this 5 rings analysis that I used in a real domestic violence/counter stalking case. The targets that are marked in squares became my Impact plan to prevent a DV homicide. Yes it worked. Thanks to SWJED and SWJAdmin for helping to figure out how to post it.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/documents/dv-systems-map.pdf

Maximus
04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Thanks for posting this. Any chance you can provide more background info without comprising the mission? I think what the chart is saying is that the 4 items that you put a square around were the suspect's vulnerabilities (in military speak) and this is how you approached preventing the crime. Is this correct?

FYI... went on a ride-along with a D.C. Metro PD unit a few months back and it was amongst the best COIN learning experiences I've had. It truly made me appreciate what it takes to establish and enforce a rule of law in a town or city.

Semper Fi!

slapout9
04-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Hi Max, first my objective was to always know where the suspect was 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If I could do that I stood a good chance of keeping the victim alive. I needed to do this for about 6 months. That is the average time for a stalking case.

The best way to do it is to attack targets across all 5 rings! This increases your odds because Murphy's law is active in LE just like the battlefield. In this case I did not have the resources to do this so I concentrated on rings 1 and 2.

In this case I found out that the suspect had a brother that was a fairly up standing citizen. So I went to him and explained the situation to him,he could help me monitor his brother and keep his brother out of prison for life or worse he may commit suicide after he killed his soon to be x-wife. This is a common occurrence in these types of situations.

Under ring 2 I had found out he was basically an atheist (bad) so appealing to any moral influence was going to be useless. I also had letters he had written that hinted he already had the idea of killing her. I also had reports of him conducting informal surveillance on her. All these are really bad and are leading indicators that an attack is about to happen.

So the good brother and myself arranged a meeting with the bad brother and I presented my options to him. They were move in with his good brother and agree to informal surveillance by our DV unit which would include some mental health counseling or he would end up destroying his life.

Understand that this case is from 2000 and the laws and enforcement measures have been changed to where I would have a lot more options today but at the time it was the best I could do. It is very hard to arrest some one for a crime that has not been committed.

Which goes back to the ring analysis they were not really vulnerabilities as much as they were targets that I could effect and stand a reasonable chance of accomplishing my objective.

Some of the things I did to monitor him were I had him fax a daily agenda to me and I checked on him when he least expected it. I also made arrangements for the victim to have a cell phone with her at all times. I also had some deer tracking cameras placed around her residence with an IR capability. I got these from a game warden who thought I was crazy until he thought about it for a while. The main source of course was the brother who was able to ex cert a great deal of influence on the situation because of his position both physical and mental.

My exit point was 6 months later and to the best of my knowledge there have not been any more problems.

I have said this before but counter stalking methods are highly adaptable to counter terror and COIN type operations, people don't just think of them as being used that way.

Now your questions?

bismark17
04-17-2007, 05:18 AM
That Secret Service document that they put out on Threat Analysis was really good. Their Threat Countermeasures Group puts on some outstanding training if you get a chance to take it. It was pretty amazing to listen to them since they have got to go to most of the International terrorist incident locations and talked to the participants.