PDA

View Full Version : Jstor

jwkelley
04-25-2007, 06:41 AM
I was wondering if any practitioners of counter insurgency ever use studies from Jstor.

I mention this because my Professor, an Army Col. and civil Affiars officer in Iraq always talked about using Iraqs tribal system to win the counter insurgency. Jstor has many historical examples of how Saddam and other goverments used Iraqs tribalism to keep stability.

TROUFION
04-25-2007, 01:20 PM
JSTOR is a valued resource for students/practitioners of COIN and related topics at The Naval Post Graduate School and I assume at the other institutes of higher learning within the US Military.

I found it to be a great resource when looking for the more critical academic studies of International Relations, for instance the Fashoda Incident and the 2nd Moroccan Crisis, there is more on JSTOR about these than any other place. However, I saw more academic studies vice writings by 'practitioners' of COIN in the JSTOR volumes. This doesn't negate its value.

-T

Steve Blair
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
JSTOR is more of a compiling resource than anything else. It's used at almost all universities and many public libraries have access to it as well. All they really do is digitize journals and then index them.