PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Forces Fight for Iraqis' Hearts, Minds

SWJED
05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
10 May Washington Times - U.S. Forces Fight for Iraqis' Hearts, Minds (http://www.washtimes.com/world/20070509-112510-2187r.htm) by Sharon Behn.

U.S. forces in the Iraqi capital are "fighting a two-front war, block by block," says Command Sgt. Maj. Alan Bjerke of the battle for Baghdad, where his soldiers face daily bomb and gunfire attacks along the city's sectarian fault lines.

Every day since the surge began in early February, U.S. soldiers have gone out among this city's 6 million people for 10 to 12 hours at a time. They patrol the streets, sit in cramped Iraqi homes listening to families, mediate disputes, raid homes, detain suspects, and uncover bombs, weapons, suicide vests and the tools of torture...

roger29palms
05-10-2007, 02:46 PM
It's obvious that many Iraqis simply can't rise above themselves. As the old saying goes, you can lead a muslim to water but you can't make them think.
What a discouraging experience for our troops.

tequila
05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/The_white_mans_burden.gif

So tiring, those stupid wogs!

goesh
05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
For the 7-9 years needed to stabalize Iraq, I have the tax dollars and will to see it through. I realize though that statement may be the sound of 1 hand clapping in the wind. The progoganda somalia gave to the extremists will be like the ripples of a pebble thrown in the pond compared to the Iraqi boulder about to be launced into a lake when the US cuts and runs. I need to get myself in a Sufi frame of mind and compose a poem here about it....

Lat, Manat,Uzza

In the scorching wind of your ways
You made clouds
Obscuring my eyes but not my voice

The plea for Allah’s love is louder than the gun
Yet I walked with you unheard

surrounded with oneness
You but saw only the many
And Amidst your great pain
We offered His hope

I cry for what could have been
As the call of Adhan