PDA

View Full Version : Volume 8 of SWJ Magazine is up

SWCAdmin
05-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Here (http://smallwarsjournal.com/mag-current/).

Many thanks to our contributors.

As editors, we no doubt have many shortcomings, many based primarily on the "time" dimension, directly proportional to the "staff" dimension. So if you see some heinous errors, please post them in this thread for a potential updated online version.

RTK
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
A pointed jab at my avatar....how wonderful. :D

Stan
05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I especially enjoyed the IED and Rwanda articles. Well done folks !

RTK, I liked the camel better !

Now, if we could get a shot of Slapout (on a camel) while fighting in the 'new militia' that would be priceless :D

selil
05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Has anybody seen marct? ouch? I can't wait to see the response to the response.

marct
05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Has anybody seen marct? ouch? I can't wait to see the response to the response.

I'm still in the process of formulating it. On the whole, I have a lot of respect for David's work - just not for his "politics". I'll probably have a response sometime tomorrow.

Marc

Tom Odom
05-14-2007, 04:59 PM

I missed it, I guess. Please 'splain...

I'm still in the process of formulating it. On the whole, I have a lot of respect for David's work - just not for his "politics". I'll probably have a response sometime tomorrow.

And I am sure you are being kind considerate and gentle in your preparations..:eek:

marct
05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
And I am sure you are being kind considerate and gentle in your preparations..:eek:

Well, after initial thoughts of Wicker Men left my mind.... :cool:.

Marc

Tom Odom
05-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Doh!

someone hit me in the head, please

slapout9
05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Stan, I don't have a camel!!

Stan
05-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Stan, I don't have a camel!!

Hi Slapout !

Not to worry, when Marc and Tom get done with Dave, you will have a camel and RTK will train you on using 'light-skinned vehicles' in low intensity conflicts :eek:

SWCAdmin
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Slapout !

Not to worry, when Marc and Tom get done with Dave, you will have a camel and RTK will train you on using 'light-skinned vehicles' in low intensity conflicts :eek:
Just make sure they don't stick you with the ugly one, being a rookie.

slapout9
05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
The ugly one???? how in the world do you tell the difference?

RTK
05-14-2007, 06:37 PM
The ugly one???? how in the world do you tell the difference?

It's usually the one with the runs....

Under the Camel -10 manual it comes out as an "exhaust issue."

Stan
05-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Keep the greasy side down :D

It's usually the one with the runs....

Under the Camel -10 manual it comes out as an "exhaust issue."

slapout9
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
On a more serious note Major Rohr's article "Progressive Reconstruction" is COIN in 4 pages or less. Take the Flippin ground away from them and there want be any road side bombs or head chopping or gun fighting or 4GW Psycho stuff. Until we understand this and resource it correctly from the start we will keep getting the same results.

TROUFION
05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Slapout has a good point here, In that I think the authors and contibutors to the SWJ are looking for a constructive critique of their writing. There is a lot of knowledge, many professors etc on this site, let us all know what you think about the articles. The writing as well as the content and the relivance of the topics. Obviously they were chosen for a reason. And sparking conversation about Small Wars TTP is one of them. So let's read-review and critique. I don't know if a seperate thread would be needed for this commentary but it might be useful.--T

Steve Blair
05-16-2007, 01:36 PM
There has been discussion of a letters and comments section in SWJ, I believe.

SWCAdmin
05-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Spawning threads now. Look for them in this forum. Fire away.

This isn't hard, guys. But now we have an SOP.

Stan
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Slapout has a good point here, In that I think the authors and contibutors to the SWJ are looking for a constructive critique of their writing. There is a lot of knowledge, many professors etc on this site, let us all know what you think about the articles. The writing as well as the content and the relivance of the topics. Obviously they were chosen for a reason. And sparking conversation about Small Wars TTP is one of them. So let's read-review and critique. I don't know if a seperate thread would be needed for this commentary but it might be useful.--T
Greetings Footslogger!
You are indeed correct.

Although I previously posted that my favorites were on IEDs and Rwanda, RTK’s “Advising Indigenous Forces” equally impressed me.

Oddly enough, I strike similarities with all three articles.

Tom and I often spoke about all-too-often underestimating Africans (which resulted in 3 civil wars), and to a greater degree (where we were), the French (who took advantage of every event).

We better get a handle on who we’re dealing with, he’s doing the very same thing and he has expendable assets that we don’t.

RTK goes into great detail regarding his role as an advisor and assumptions that US Forces often make abroad. Such assumptions can have serious ramifications. Some cultures simply can’t take being slapped without a way out. To those, it’s not mere revenge, it’s saving face. So, if we know how to advise them, we obviously know how to read them. I think we're paying greater attention, but so are they and the MO has once again changed. Time to observe and take another shot at it.

Our IED makers are the very same ‘tribes’ if you will. Their operations are not that well thought out and we can learn from them. Their operations and behavior are based on our routines.

As Slapout said so well, ‘take the road away from them and make them play by our rules’.

Tom Odom
05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Our IED makers are the very same ‘tribes’ if you will. Their operations are not that well thought out and we can learn from them. Their operations and behavior are based on our routines.

As Slapout said so well, ‘take the road away from them and make them play by our rules’.

Stan

Rob Thornton has a good article in the current issue of Infantry that relates to this subject. With an AKO password, it is at Mosul COIN Fight (https://www.benning.army.mil/magazine/2007/2007_1/13_%20fa.pdf)

Best

Tom

Stan
05-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Stan

Rob Thornton has a good article in the current issue of Infantry that relates to this subject. With an AKO password, it is at Mosul COIN Fight (https://www.benning.army.mil/magazine/2007/2007_1/13_%20fa.pdf)

Best

Tom

Thanks Tom !
I just took a quick look...something for my next rant teaching classes for our next rotation to Afghanistan !

Regards, Stan

SWCAdmin
05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Updated the magazine to correct a few problems, complete authors' bios, etc.

The latest files are online now, and have a file date of 5/22/07