PDA

View Full Version : Of "Intellectual and Moral" Failures

sullygoarmy
05-24-2007, 01:30 PM
This was written and sent out by BG (Ret) Huba wass de Czege on the PlansList Forum. I think its a great piece and worthy of continued discussion:

Ed. by SWC Admin -- concur Sully! BG Huba is now aboard w/ SWJ Blog, the piece which has gotten other distribution as you noted is posted here (http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/2007/05/of-intellectual-and-moral-fail/). I've trimmed the quote you provided.

With some interest I have been tracking these exchanges over what Paul Yingling, Jack Cushman and Doug McGregor have had to say about our military operations since 9/11. It takes a great deal of courage to say things that are sure to be unpopular whether you are beyond the reach of those who might be offended or not, and therefore we ought to listen for that reason alone. And Paul Yingling is most at risk, therefore his message interests me the most.

There is another reason to listen. I know Jack Cushman and Doug McGregor personally, and they are in the top few percentile points of their respective generations in intellect and passion for the profession of arms. I suspect Paul Yingling is too. Intellect and passion for our business should be cultivated.

There is a third reason to listen closely, and that is to encourage others to share their views. I think these discussions are healthy, actually they are a sign of hope for the institution. It was exactly these kinds of discussions that led to the Post Vietnam Army Reforms of the 1980's. And during the mid to late 70's general officers had to face tough questions from Leavenworth and War College students. Most bore our criticisms with good grace. I suspect those of the present day will do so as well.

Tom Odom
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Sully,

Thanks for that. It is good to see he is still thinking and writing after all these years.

Now he would be a fantastic blogger, Dave and Bill. What do you think?

Tom

Jimbo
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
You guys need to get the Dan Davis article that was out yesterday. That is the best thing I have seen yet.

sullygoarmy
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Tom,
COL Dave Maxwell mentioned on the list server that this should go to Dave at SMJ...looks like I jumped ahead a bit! What a great commentary.

Old Eagle
05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I always enjoyed reading General wass de Czege's commentaries in the past and relish his most recent contribution.

There are many entry points for discussion here. The inversion of the combat experience pyramid is fascinating and may or may not be relavent. Truly talented senior officers will recognize pertinent experience for what it is and integrate lessons learned as appropriate.

My experience with the O-6 level behavior is exactly opposite that of General wdC. Once colonels get vested for O-6 retirement and have no hope of promotion, they can be exceptionally innovative because the bureaucratic impetus to "toe the line" has been removed. They can then serve as the "counterculture to the conventional wisdom" of the senior leadership.

Tom Odom
05-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I always enjoyed reading General wass de Czege's commentaries in the past and relish his most recent contribution.

There are many entry points for discussion here. The inversion of the combat experience pyramid is fascinating and may or may not be relavent. Truly talented senior officers will recognize pertinent experience for what it is and integrate lessons learned as appropriate.

My experience with the O-6 level behavior is exactly opposite that of General wdC. Once colonels get vested for O-6 retirement and have no hope of promotion, they can be exceptionally innovative because the bureaucratic impetus to "toe the line" has been removed. They can then serve as the "counterculture to the conventional wisdom" of the senior leadership.

I would agree with you. In fact I had a conversation about that very subject with then BG Bob Scales and the roles of the O-6 unleashed. Several years later I became an O-5 unleashed and it was a liberating experience. all of that aside, I think in General wass de Czega's case he was referring to the Leavenworth environment, a different world unto itself.
best,
Tom

Steve Blair
05-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I would agree with you. In fact I had a conversation about that very subject with then BG Bob Scales and the roles of the O-6 unleashed. Several years later I became an O-5 unleashed and it was a liberating experience. all of that aside, I think in General wass de Czega's case he was referring to the Leavenworth environment, a different world unto itself.
best,
Tom

I got the impression that he was talking about O-6s who still nurtured hope of jumping to O-7.

I've seen the same thing working with the AF. Once an O-5 is taken out of the O-6 pool (we see O-5s here more than O-6s), they really tend to shake things up and come up with some very innovative ideas. Of course, those aren't always received well at higher levels, but it is fun to watch.:cool:

SWJED
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Sully,

Thanks for that. It is good to see he is still thinking and writing after all these years.

Now he would be a fantastic blogger, Dave and Bill. What do you think?

Tom

Brigadier General Huba Wass de Czege e-mailed Of "Intellectual and Moral" Failures to us earlier today.

Now a blog entry (http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/2007/05/of-intellectual-and-moral-fail/) - please comment there as well!

The general is joining the SWJ blog....

alpensen
06-02-2009, 09:13 AM
The article was indeed informative and controversial, particularly about the serving O4-O6 officers issue. The seniors may not agree with this, but I also believe that when it comes to experience, the serving O-4 to O-6 crowd has a lot of advantage.

Colour Laser Printer (http://www.ColourLaserPrinter.org)