PDA

View Full Version : Strife Foreseen in Iraq Exit, but Experts Split on Degree

SWJED
05-27-2007, 07:33 AM
27 May NY Times - Strife Foreseen in Iraq Exit, but Experts Split on Degree (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/world/middleeast/27withdraw.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin) by Michael Gordon and Alissa Rubin.

There is one matter on which American military commanders, many Iraqis and some of the Bush administration’s staunchest Congressional critics agree: if the United States withdrew its forces from Baghdad’s streets this fall, the murder and mayhem would increase.

But that is where the agreement ends. The wrangling in Washington over war financing, still fierce despite the Democrats’ decision to forgo for now withdrawal deadlines, has obscured a more fundamental debate over what Iraq’s future might look like without American troops.

Would the pullback of American forces unleash an even bloodier round of civil conflict that would lead to the implosion of the Iraqi government? Or would it put pressure on Iraqi politicians to finally reconcile their differences? More bluntly: how bad would things get?...

SWJED
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
30 May Real Clear Politics commentary - The Hard Truth About Leaving Iraq (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/05/the_hard_truth_about_leaving_i.html) by Ed Koch.

To those who believe that when America leaves Iraq, Islamic terrorists will be satisfied and stop fighting, I say this: wake up. The hard truth is that if we leave Iraq, the terrorists will continue their attacks on Americans everywhere, including our homeland. And they will use Iraq as the new base of their terrorist regime.

In a May 28th New York Times article, reporters Michael Moss and Souad Mekhennet provided a chilling report on what the future holds. The article begins, "When Muhammad al-Darsi got out of prison in Libya last year after serving time for militant activities, he had one goal: killing Americans in Iraq. A recruiter...told him he was not needed in Iraq. Instead, he was drafted into the war that is seeping out of Iraq. A team of militants from Iraq had traveled to Jordan, where they were preparing attacks on Americans and Jews..."

In other words, the terrorist jihad will continue and many of the terrorists will be those who are now fighting in Iraq. It cannot be stated often enough that the goal of the Islamic terrorists is the destruction of Western civilization and the restoration of the caliphate. The caliphate would unite all Muslims in one theocratic state, running from and including Spain to Indonesia, encompassing nearly 1.4 billion Muslims...

tequila
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Who resurrected Ed Koch? :eek:

As a lifelong New Yorker, I'll just say he's one of the few I'd cross the street to avoid.