PDA

View Full Version : New Chairman JCS

Tom Odom
06-08-2007, 05:11 PM
SecDef Gates just announced that he will nominate Admiral Mullen as the new Chairman, replacing General Pace. More to follow

Tom

Pace to step down as Joint Chiefs chairman (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/08/gates.pace/index.html)
POSTED: 1:09 p.m. EDT, June 8, 2007
Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gen. Peter Pace will leave his job as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff when his term ends in September, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced Friday.

Gates said he had intended to renominate Pace for the position, but after consultation with senators of both parties, he concluded that the confirmation process would be too contentious.

Gates said he will recommend Adm. Mike Mullen, currently the chief of naval operations, as the next chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff.

goesh
06-08-2007, 05:37 PM
A quote from Adm. Mullen:

"Threats to our security are coming from places we aren't necessarily accustomed to. We just can't be a predictable force anymore. But I know unpredictability, like what we need in the Fleet Response Plan today, causes more uncertainty for our families. One of the best ways to reduce that uncertainty is by telling our people what we know just as soon as we know it." (Ombudsman Quality Management Board, 25 July 2005 at the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.)

And another:

"Without the support of our families - and, without SUPPORTING them in return - we cannot hope to sustain Combat Readiness. We owe our Sailors and their families the very best Quality of Life we can offer. " (Before the Senate Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, 28 March 2007)

RTK
06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Looks like the Navy's RISK board is about to turn all blue.

That must make the Marines pretty happy....:eek:

Rob Thornton
06-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Without the support of our families - and, without SUPPORTING them in return - we cannot hope to sustain Combat Readiness. We owe our Sailors and their families the very best Quality of Life we can offer. " (Before the Senate Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, 28 March 2007)

I hope he operationizes this.

Sargent
06-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I hope he operationalizes this.

Haven't you heard the new Navy recruiting ads? Joe Aviator has enough time after work for surfing! They've adopted the Dartmouth motto as their own -- Work hard, play hard, party hard.

Now me, I'd be happy if Johnny Marine were simply home some of the time. Not that I don't enjoy planning the next deployment while still in the middle of the current one.

Steve Blair
06-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I hope he operationizes this.

Operationizes? Let me whack you with the Verbalizing Cricket Bat of Death!:eek:

SWJED
06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
9 June Washington Post - Joint Chiefs Chair Will Bow Out (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/08/AR2007060801537.html?hpid=topnews) by Josh White and Thomas E. Ricks.

... Pace's departure -- along with the simultaneous retirement of Adm. Edmund Giambastiani, his vice chairman -- completes a nearly clean sweep of top military advisers linked to the tenure of Donald H. Rumsfeld as defense secretary. Both military officers were close to Rumsfeld and have been criticized for not challenging him.

In office since Rumsfeld was ousted after the November elections, Gates has shown a desire to distance himself from Rumsfeld's Pentagon. Since he arrived, new commanders have moved into Iraq and the U.S. Central Command, which oversees the Middle East, and the White House has added Army Lt. Gen. Douglas E. Lute to a unique position coordinating war policy. As he noted yesterday, Gates had planned to retain both Pace and Giambastiani but decided against that when it became clear that Pace would face a difficult reconfirmation hearing...