PDA

View Full Version : Security

LawVol
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Bear with me here...

Either in a thread or a referenced article someone mentioned an idea involving the establishment of security in a COIN environment on a rolling basis. In other words, rather than complete combat ops and completely overthrow a regime before moving into stability operations, you'd do it as the combat troops moved through an area.

Is this ringing any bells with anyone? I'd like to find this post/article again and am having no luck. It sparked an idea I'd like to incorporate into something I've been working on for awhile and I want to give credit where its due. Thanks in advance.

slapout9
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Law Vol, I think you are talking about TROUFION's paper.

Here is a link from the SWJ library to what I think you are talking about.
http://www.smallwarsjournal.com/documents/rohr.pdf

TROUFION
06-13-2007, 08:17 PM
LawVol,

Here is another link. I wrote a paper back in 2003 called Progressive Reconstruction for the annual MC Gazette Chase essay comp, miraculously it won:D. It was recently re-released via the SWJ here VOL 8. After I wrote it I attended the Naval Post-grad School and expanded on the initial paper as my Thesis.

Other thoughts on this from Maj Bill Fischer USAF-
An Untapped Resource for Stabilization and Reconstruction
The United States Air Force
Maj William Fischer, USAF*
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj07/spr07/fischerspr07.html

&

By Col Brian Watson
Reshaping The Expeditionary Army To Win Decisively: The Case For Greater Stabilization Capacity In The Modular Force
http://www.army.mil/professionalwriting/volumes/volume3/december_2005/12_05_2.html

&

of course my Thesis from the official site for NPGS:
http://theses.nps.navy.mil/06Sep_Rohr.pdf

LawVol
06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
I guess the hardest thing to find is the thing staring you in the face. I had read a portion of your paper some time ago and the progressive reconstruction concept resonated with me. I plan to give it a thorough read now.

I'm working on a paper that offers Air Force Security Forces as a security tool. They have both law enforcement and infantry training and would seem to be easily adapted to that mission. I would also add in a JAG team (I don't want to sit at home :D) to deal with setting up the court system. Of course there are a host of issues to deal with, but that is the basic concept.

It's got to be a better idea than the 'gay bomb' thing that just hit the press.:o

Dr Jack
06-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Bear with me here...

Either in a thread or a referenced article someone mentioned an idea involving the establishment of security in a COIN environment on a rolling basis. In other words, rather than complete combat ops and completely overthrow a regime before moving into stability operations, you'd do it as the combat troops moved through an area.

The COIN Manual (FM 3-24) also mentions the concept of "rolling transitions":

TRANSITIONS
2-43. Regardless of the division of labor, an important recurring feature of COIN is transitioning responsibility and participation in key LLOs. As consistently and conscientiously as possible, military leaders ensure continuity in meeting the needs of the HN government and local populace. The same general guidelines governing battle handovers apply to COIN transitions. Whether the transition is between military units or from a military unit to a civilian agency, all involved must clearly understand the tasks and responsibilities being passed. Maintaining unity of effort is particularly important during transitions, especially between organizations of different capabilities and capacities. Relationships tend to break down during transitions. A transition is not a single event where all activity happens at once. It is a rolling process of little handoffs between different actors along several streams of activities. There are usually multiple transitions for any one stream of activity over time. Using the coordination mechanisms discussed below can help create and sustain the links that support effective transitions without compromising unity of effort.

Generally, "establishing security" would be a "key LLO" (logical line of operation).

slapout9
06-14-2007, 03:16 AM
Law Vol I don't know if they do this with the Air Police where you are but a fair number from Maxwell go through the Montgomery Police Academy where I went. Point being they are not just familiar with UCMJ but also regular Police SOP's. We also had and still do I guess an excellent working relationship with them to include some joint exercises,etc.

I think this months Air Power journal has an article about the Battle Field Airman or something like that. The Air Force wants to increase PT and teach hand to hand combat and other battle field skills. You may want to check it out if you don't subscribe. On line subscription is free to if memory serves me correctly.

LawVol
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Slapout: There is a push in the AF right now to train airmen in what the AF terms "battle field training." There is a plan in the works right now to create a Common Battlefield Airmen Training center to handle this training. The concept would essentially require every airman to attend a 20-day (??) course. The details and location are still being worked out.

Maybe this will alleviate some concerns that others have with airmen filling traditionally Army jobs. Don't get me wrong, I think these concerns are understandable. Most airmen only fire a weapon once every 24-30 months. As a result, proficiency is a foreign concept and most probably pose more of a threat to themselves and their follow airmen rather than to an enemy. Hopefully this training can change that. PT requirements are also being changed. The AF is attempting to alter its corporate ethos; the process will be slow but ultimately a good thing I think.

Of course, some of our airmen (pararescue, TAC-P, some security forces, etc.) have a considerable amount of training already and can assist with establishing security in a COIN environment (at least that is my argument). I'll look into the joint training with local LE issue. I know that our OSI guys go to FLETC down in Georgia, but I'm not sure if our SF guys do.

120mm
06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
The airmen I know and correspond with are certainly eager for the corporate ethos to change. Mainly the SP and PR guys are ready to be treated better, and getting over the AF's unreasonable fear of "guys with guns" will improve their warfighting ability.

Jedburgh
06-19-2007, 03:57 PM
...There is a plan in the works right now to create a Common Battlefield Airmen Training center to handle this training. The concept would essentially require every airman to attend a 20-day (??) course. The details and location are still being worked out....
Looks like its going to take a while: Common Battlefield Airman Training (http://www.aetc.af.mil/library/cbat.asp)

The U.S. Air Force is conducting an Environmental Impact Statement study to establish a Common Battlefield Airman Training program at either Arnold Air Force Base near Manchester, Tenn., Moody AFB near Valdosta, Ga., or Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, La.

The Air Force proposes to establish the CBAT program to further expand Airmen ground training in combat small arms firing, basics of land navigation, small unit tactics and combative skills. Implementation of the program will be conducted in three phases from 2011 to 2014 and will include a daily average of about 600 instructors, 200 base support personnel and 1,800 students at the end of the third phase. This would result in the training of more than 14,400 Airmen annually at the selected base....