PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Belize

120mm
06-21-2007, 04:20 AM
I took last week off from work, and went on a cruise with the In-Laws :( As part of the cruise, we spent a day in Belize, which I found fascinating. Neat country, but I was a little disconcerted by how much Belize City resembles Baghdad, without the shooting and roadside bombs.

Same terrain, buildings and types of cars. Minus the mosques, of course. Oddly enough, Belizean farms resemble Iraqi farms almost exactly, with the mud walls surrounding an acre of land, and the crushed rock driveway and the concrete "bunker/building" in the center.

SWCAdmin
06-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I spent a week on Caye Caulker a few months ago. Fortunately there was no risk of any resemblance there.

Belize is a great little spot. More expensive than its neighbors. But stable and relatively safe, plus the 2nd largest barrier reef after Australia.

Tom Odom
06-21-2007, 12:53 PM
I took last week off from work, and went on a cruise with the In-Laws :( As part of the cruise, we spent a day in Belize, which I found fascinating. Neat country, but I was a little disconcerted by how much Belize City resembles Baghdad, without the shooting and roadside bombs.

Same terrain, buildings and types of cars. Minus the mosques, of course. Oddly enough, Belizean farms resemble Iraqi farms almost exactly, with the mud walls surrounding an acre of land, and the crushed rock driveway and the concrete "bunker/building" in the center.

Belize where they filmed "The Dogs of War" is another one of those Caribbean coastal anamolies that has as many African traits as it does Latino.

Best

Tom