PDA

View Full Version : In Iraq, Operation Last Chance

Granite_State
07-07-2007, 04:00 AM
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1638128-1,00.html

Isn't this the real issue (see final page), even moreso than American or Iraqi public opinion?

Jones_RE
07-07-2007, 04:39 AM
I think the real issue is the way the war has been fought as if it's always about to be over. No one did any long range planning for an occupation because we wouldn't be there long. No one put a lot of effort into up armored humvees and body armor because we'd be pulling out before they were ready. Iraqi army and police were rushed into service too soon, and without proper vetting, in order to rush US troops out. Bush, congress and the pentagon never had to hammer out a real strategy because the war would be over and there was no point in compromise. . . .

Even with a drawdown in forces I can't see this war ending anytime soon. Even a worn out and demoralized US Army will provide better security in Iraq than the locals will.

This war drags on because the cost of ending it (in victory or defeat) is higher than the cost of fighting it.

Culpeper
07-07-2007, 04:57 AM
I think the real issue is the way the war has been fought as if it's always about to be over. No one did any long range planning for an occupation because we wouldn't be there long. No one put a lot of effort into up armored humvees and body armor because we'd be pulling out before they were ready.

This war drags on because the cost of ending it (in victory or defeat) is higher than the cost of fighting it.

I have to agree with the first part. The original plan was for the Iraqi police to immediately take over security for the country. No one bothered to invite a member of the Iraqi police to that brief meeting with the President. Literally, that was the plan and Gen. Franks bit into it.

I don't understand the second part. A lot of people seem to think that Iraq was or is the goal in the region. Iraq is just a beginning. It took about a hundred years to get the region of the United States out of constant internal wars. Iraq is just the current center of the new Wild West. Currently, I view Iraq as in a lull, if one can consider anything there in a lull. This could be because of the current offensives and civil affairs. Most of what we read about in the press is occurring within about a 30 mile radius that includes Baghdad. I'm sort of getting used to our side making a touchdown and most people finding something wrong with that. We waste too much time over analyzing the mistakes and sort of drift over any positive news. I guess I'm like Oddball on Kelly's Heroes.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Moriarty: Crap!