PDA

View Full Version : Underground rock concertgoers arrested in Iran

marct
08-06-2007, 06:03 PM
From CBC.ca

Underground rock concertgoers arrested in Iran
Last Updated: Monday, August 6, 2007 | 9:47 AM ET
CBC Arts

More than 200 people attending an underground rock concert near Tehran have been arrested by Iranian authorities, local officials and media reported on Saturday.

Authorities said they seized video cameras, CDs, alcohol, drugs and revealing female clothing on Wednesday from the concert site in the city of Karaj, located west of the capital.

Ali Farhadi, the Karaj public prosecutor, told Iran's state broadcaster that 230 people were identified and arrested at the concert, which other officials have dubbed "satanic."

Iran only permits rock music performances by groups who have procured a license from the Ministry of Culture.

More... (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/08/05/iran-concert-arrest.html)

Stan
08-06-2007, 06:16 PM
And from a little corner of the USA..ahem...KXMB Bismark (http://www.kxmb.com/News/Nation/149861.asp), North Dakota :D

Large quantities of recording equipment, alcohol, bootleg CDs, revealing female clothing and also drugs were seized at the concert in the city of Karaj just west of the capital, in Tehran province. . .

“An investigation is in progress and soon a verdict will be issued for the main elements of the satan-worshipping instigatators and all these people will be punished.”

...but I had to post this reaction to it from Six Meat Buffet:

Who the hell do these people think they are? Al and Tipper Gore?

Funny, because it’s true

Tom Odom
08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
one has to ask if there were any badgers or squirrels caught in the round up?

Nat Wilcox
08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Authorities said they seized...alcohol, drugs and revealing female clothing...

I'm sorry to say that all I can do is picture a Pythonesque skit with the police taking obvious puerile delight in enumerating their booty, to use an appropriate turn of phrase.

Stan
08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
From the Free Republic (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1876466/posts)

Chaos ensued when the band played “You Dropped The Bomb On Me”...:cool:

Steve Blair
08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
one has to ask if there were any badgers or squirrels caught in the round up?

Naw...they're far too smart for that. That's what the expendable pigeon troops are there for....:)

Nat Wilcox
08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Chaos ensued when the band played “You Dropped The Bomb On Me”...:cool:

Yeah, they was dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'
And just when it hit me somebody turned around and shouted
Play that fihky music Shia boy
Play that fihky music right...

OK, Stan, you won that round. Best of three?

marct
08-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Iran only permits rock music performances by groups who have procured a license from the Ministry of Culture.

So, I would guess then that the old BeeGees song would be fine?

Blame it all.... on the knights of Broadway....

slapout9
08-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Wonder what they think about Country and Western?

Nat Wilcox
08-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I dunno, Slapout. Some of that stuff is pretty subversive. Tammy Wynette singing "Bony Fingers" or Dolly Parton singing "Nine to Five" wouldn't cut it on Radio Qom, I don't think.

Stan
08-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Yeah, they was dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'
And just when it hit me somebody turned around and shouted
Play that fihky music Shia boy
Play that fihky music right...

OK, Stan, you won that round. Best of three?

OK, Nat, Let's go in a slightly different direction :D

From the Perisian Journal (http://www.iranian.ws/iran_news/publish/iran_women.shtml) under Women

"Guns may shoot and knives may carve, but we won't wear your stupid scarves."

Ten-year-old Marji fights Iran's veil of extremism with wit and defiance. That is until a group of club-wielding men come after her.

Tacitus
08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Wonder what they think about Country and Western?

Mr. Slapout9,

If the name Toby Keith means anything to them, then I think we can safely conclude that C & W is banned.

It is too bad Johnny Cash has passed away. If he felt comfortable enough playing in Folsom Prison, it would have been logical to play in Iran (where the whole dang country seems to be under lockdown).

This line might just bring down the house:
But I shot a man in Tehran,
Just to watch him die.

But since Cash has gone on to meet his maker, I suggest Junior Brown, instead. He's got the baritone to do a mean version of Folsom Prison Blues.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZ00y1zhpw

slapout9
08-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Tac, great minds think alike. I posted almost the exact same thing last night before I got an MSN message saying I had a critical error and needed to shut done. Anyway I was going to suggest Tehran Prison blues instead of Folsom Prison BLues which would work with your line about shot a man in Tehran. Maybe we could write a theme song for the SWC:eek:

Steve Blair
08-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Tac, great minds think alike. I posted almost the exact same thing last night before I got an MSN message saying I had a critical error and needed to shut done. Anyway I was going to suggest Tehran Prison blues instead of Folsom Prison BLues which would work with your line about shot a man in Tehran. Maybe we could write a theme song for the SWC:eek:

Only if we get Junior Brown to play it...

Nat Wilcox
08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I was going to suggest Tehran Prison blues...Maybe we could write a theme song for the SWC:eek:

I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Tehran Prison,
And time keeps draggin' on,
But that train keeps a-rollin',
On down to Isfahan.

When I was just a baby,
The Imam told us, "Boys,
Always be a good man--
Don't mess with Western toys."
But I danced unfihky boogies--
bad hijab caught my eye.
When I hear that whistle blowin',
I hang my head and cry.

etc.

Feel free to copy, edit, expand and change.

slapout9
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Nat, keep going your doing fine.

Steve Blair
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Good for Tehran Blues to be sure, but what would we use as the basis for a SWC theme song?

Merv Benson
08-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I am not familiar with that one, but I am sure they would object to her somewhat autobiographical "I'll keep on falling in love 'Til I get it right" or I Don't Wanta Play House.

Another C&W song that would be off their charts is Courtesy of the Red While and Blue. While it was aimed at Osama, I don't think the ayatollahs would like the message.

Nat Wilcox
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Good for Tehran Blues to be sure, but what would we use as the basis for a SWC theme song?

Let's all think on that.

I am not familiar with that one, but I am sure they would object to her somewhat autobiographical "I'll keep on falling in love 'Til I get it right" or I Don't Wanta Play House.

Boney Fingers was penned by Hoyt Axton and is not too far from the class of C&W tunes that I Don't Wanta Play House lies in. One of my all-time favorite C&W tunes, and I may be wrong about Ms. Wynette singing it.,.Hoyt had a minor hit with it but someone else hit big with it in the late 60s. It is written to be one of those back and forth duets for a man and a woman to sing together, as is evident from the lyrics.

See the rain comin' down and the roof won't hold 'er
Lost my job and I feel a little older
Car won't run and our love's grown colder
But maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'
Maybe things'll get a little better.

Oh! the clothes need washin' and the fire won't start
Kids all cryin' and you're breakin' my heart
Whole darn place is fallin' apart
Maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'

Refrain:
Work your fingers to the bone - whadda ya get?
( Whoo-whoo ) Boney Fingers - Boney Fing-gers.

Yea! I've been broke as long as I remember
Get a little money and I gotta run and spend 'er
When I try to save it, pretty woman come and take it
Sayin' maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'

Refrain

Yea! the grass won't grow and the sun's too hot
The whole darn world is goin' to pot
Might as well like it 'cause you're all that I've got
But, maybe things'll get a little better, in the mornin'

Refrain