PDA

View Full Version : Request from the Shooters

bismark17
09-08-2007, 12:23 AM
I bought a SOCOM rifle and am thinking of getting a AIMPOINT on it. I am debating between the latest version that the Army is putting out or the previous model which would save me some money. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RTK
09-08-2007, 02:03 AM
I bought a SOCOM rifle and am thinking of getting a AIMPOINT on it. I am debating between the latest version that the Army is putting out or the previous model which would save me some money. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Go for the old model and save the $300. It's essentially the same thing.

Stan
09-08-2007, 06:52 AM

Hey Bismark !
I have the cheaper 9000SC. With few exceptions such as the Night Vision Device compatability and submersible depth (mine has 15' and the comp M3 has 135'), my 9000 functions just as good and costs 270 bucks less :)

I agree with RTK, save some cash and give the older versions a try.

120mm
09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
So how is your SOCOM shooting? As fun as they are to play with, I've heard some pretty bad reliability stories. Interested in getting some more data on them.

neowolfe
09-12-2007, 06:10 AM
go with an acog

RTK
09-12-2007, 10:37 AM
go with an acog

ACOGs don't work reliably with a rifle that has less than a 22" barrel. The SOCCOM 16 rifle has a 16" barrel. He'd be wasting his money.

Stan
09-12-2007, 11:33 AM
ACOGs don't work reliably with a rifle that has less than a 22" barrel. The SOCCOM 16 rifle has a 16" barrel. He'd be wasting his money.

Yepper..And if that isn't already enough info, the TA01ECOS goes for a mere $1,750.00 USD :eek:

Want more ? Order to receipt lead time is a scant 16 to 18 weeks :confused:

Well, she does look pretty (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=554) and they do sponsor the NHRA !

Beowulf
09-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I used an EO tech that I liked quite a bit.

Most of the Marines I was with had the ACOG, and it was nice to be able to use it to look a little farther away, even if you have a short barrel and can't hit point targets that far out.

It really depends on what you're doing, I was expecting to spend more time in a city, and my job is support not DA. I wasn't expecting to be shooting distance targets, so my weapons were set up for closer/defensive type engagements.

EO tech, BUIS, with a foregrip and single point sling.

We ended up going to the mountains (Astan) a lot more, and I wished I had an ACOG or equivalent (4X) sight.

Grendel
09-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I have to agree with Beowolf the EO Tech sight is first rate. They just released a new version that is for military use, it's much more rugged and reliable. This site allows very quick aquisition of a target from the low ready position. It works well for distances up to 200 yards,and you are afforded an excellent field of view. But once again the ACOG is the heat for anything farther than that, which you will see in A-stan.
I would suggest two sights at a minimum, you cant use one tool for every job. Also the old ACOG suggestion is correct. Save some money. and spend it on good magazines, but thats another discussion.