PDA

View Full Version : Afghanization of Iraq (1)

xawbird
09-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Whether it is called “soft partition” or “federalism”, the current American strategy in Iraq will in effect lead to further segregation of the Iraqi population. To be fair, the exile and internal displacement of millions of Iraqis was started by al Qaeda fighters, who deliberately stoked hatred between Sunnis and Shiites by bombing Shiite religious shrines and marketplaces. The Shiite dominated central government then sided with Shiite militias and police forces in retaliation. Granted in such a chaotic condition it was difficult to tell the difference between al Qaeda fighters and innocent Sunni civilians, many of whom were sympathetic to the insurgents if not secretly aiding them. American forces, often under attack from the same Sunni fighters, ......

more (http://counterevolution.blogspot.com/)

SWCAdmin
09-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Please disclose your affiliation to your own personal blog, and make at least a courteous gratuitous comment as a matter of course as to why you are cross-promoting here.

xawbird
09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
I am not affiliated with any organization, political or otherwise. I declared in my blog that I am an independent thinker.

I post here because I care, and I believe I have a unique insight that you won’t find anywhere else. If that’s not welcome, then fine, I’ll stop posting here.

RTK
09-16-2007, 12:11 AM
I am not affiliated with any organization, political or otherwise. I declared in my blog that I am an independent thinker.

I post here because I care, and I believe I have a unique insight that you won’t find anywhere else. If that’s not welcome, then fine, I’ll stop posting here.

His point is this: Two of your three posts have been a shameless plug to your blog. If you're here to discuss, then discuss. If you're here to promote, take it here (www.myspace.com).

Jedburgh
09-16-2007, 12:39 AM

I find your manner of simply reposting your own blog excerpts here, with no introduction or context, more indicative of intellectual laziness than of being an "independent thinker".

If you truly care about the situation in Iraq, you have yet to display such concern - it doesn't show in your blog. In any case, there are no "insights" to be gleaned there into the situation in Iraq, unique or otherwise. Instead your patronizing rambles are built upon a web of misconceptions.

I suggest you read carefully the posting and discussion on the subject that already exists on this board. Then, if you have a point to make - make it. In the appropriate context, of course.

This is strike two.

SWCAdmin
09-16-2007, 03:53 PM
His point is this: Two of your three posts have been a shameless plug to your blog. If you're here to discuss, then discuss. If you're here to promote, take it here (http://www.myspace.com).
Bingo.

Xawbird, your blog is your place to do your independent thinking. Small Wars Council is NOT the place for you to plug, promote, or advertise that. We are a discussion board.

Feel free to engage with our members in substantive discussions, and if you refer to your blog where relevant for a specific point, all is good.

I think we'd all be fine with you making one post in the Blog Watch forum that says "I've got a blog and this is what I'm about."

I don't have a comment on the quality of your material or thoughts. This isn't about liking your material or your position, or not. Just that the way to engage as a member of this community is as part of a dialog. So STOP ADVERTISING. Go to our Google ads link if you want that kind of placement.

Steve Blair
09-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Then as SWCAdmin suggested, post a link or plug for your blog in the Blog Watch forum and then actually join a discussion on one of the other threads. Sharing insight and ideas requires a dialog, not a single soapbox. Message boards (unlike blogs) allow you to expose your ideas and thoughts to a (usually) open but critical audience. They learn from you, AND you learn from them. Typically people find that their ideas aren't quite as unique as they thought, and others can fill in gaps in their own knowledge with what you bring to the table.

It's a great exercise and learning environment. Give it a try!

SWJED
09-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Bold font emphasis mine.

That is all well and good and you won't be missed as we hardly knew you.

There have been others who entered the Council with all the answers only to find there were more questions than they considered. Some are now our most valued members.

It's your choice, we don't like preaching and we don't like soapboxes. We do like honest discussion of the issues at hand.