PDA

View Full Version : COIN and popular culture

Rex Brynen
09-16-2007, 07:08 PM
After the two of us batting around ideas, one of my undergraduate Honours students has decided to write his thesis on an unusual--but I think, quite fascinating--topic: notions of COIN in popular culture, as evidenced in video and computer games.

He'll be looking at various contemporary "first person shooters," of the Ghost Recon (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/graw2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review), SOCOM (http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/socomusnavysealsfireteambravo2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review), Joint Operations (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jointoperations/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review), Call of Duty 4 (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofduty4modernwarfare/news.html?sid=6178670&mode=previews), etc. variety, as well as the US Army's own free America's Army (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/americasarmyoperations/review.html)computer game.

Of course the relationship between popular culture and actual political and personal behaviour is a complex one: he isn't attempting to write a crude "violent video games makes for violent soldiers and misinformed public" thesis, but by the same token its hard to argue that one of the primary popular culture activity of a great many teens, young men, (and the occasional university prof) has absolutely no impact on social attitudes. It is also my sense that the typical first-person shooter (a popular past-time of off-duty troops on deployment) would make the authors of FM 3-24 cringe.

The relationship between popular culture and potential practice was highlighted last year, of course, when the Dean of West Point, Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan, unsuccessfully asked the producers of the TV series "24 Hours" to tone down its frequent use of torture:
(http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/02/19/070219fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=3)

However, it had become increasingly hard to convince some cadets that America had to respect the rule of law and human rights, even when terrorists did not. One reason for the growing resistance, he suggested, was misperceptions spread by “24,” which was exceptionally popular with his students. As he told me, “The kids see it, and say, ‘If torture is wrong, what about “24”?’

In any case, I would be interested in the perspective of SWC participants--and, if this thread becomes interesting, I'll point my student at it (and even ask him to join, once he's done more research).

Steve Blair
09-17-2007, 12:05 AM
This sounds interesting. I'd be curious to see how it turns out. COIN itself is a very difficult thing to model in any computer game (although I'd argue that an RPG-style format would be ideal for it), but all too often perception can become reality. Of course the FPS market tends to focus more on direct action-type missions than actual COIN, so that's something to consider.

Rex Brynen
09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
This sounds interesting. I'd be curious to see how it turns out. COIN itself is a very difficult thing to model in any computer game (although I'd argue that an RPG-style format would be ideal for it), but all too often perception can become reality. Of course the FPS market tends to focus more on direct action-type missions than actual COIN, so that's something to consider.

Yes, I think that will be one of his main findings: that its firefights, not COIN being gamed. There are, I think, a number of interesting social implications of that.

I also thing it should be possible to make a playable, enjoyable COIN game, in which avoiding collateral damage and interaction with the local population is a key part of performing a mission (much like the chained quests in very non-COIN World of Warcraft).

Interestingly, Hizbullah has put out two FPS games, and a member of the Lebanese opposition also tweaked an existing game to allow you to storm the Grand Serail in Beirut and kill the Prime Minister. The latter was particularly amusing to me, since in the game had you "storm" the side door that I usually use when working there. (Clips of the former can be found on YouTube.. I'll post the links at some point.)

Dennis
09-17-2007, 06:18 AM
[QUOTE]Yes, I think that will be one of his main findings: that its firefights, not COIN being gamed.

I agree that the FPS likely won't get at the COIN issue very well and I also agree that some of the RPGs would likely get at it a little better. But I will admit that I am not a big fan or player FPSs.

There are, I think, a number of interesting social implications of that.

In this regard, during my time in OIF, I know that many of my soldiers were playing alot of FPSs in what little down time we had. I remember thinking, when watching my guys blast there way through scenarios, if I should be worried about this influencing their actions. My conclusion was it had no or possibly a theraputic effect, a way of "excersizing your demons", so to speak. I mean if you ain't got a dog to kick you gotta find something right? I guess this would suggest some level of jingoism I suppose, but I never had one incident to suggest that there was any transfer of values (my soldier's always upheld the letter and spirit of the Army values and warrior ethos) from the virtual world to the real one.

I am long time RTS/RPG game freek. Have been playing Guild Wars for a while, not much in the last few months:( (trying to keep focused on thesis work) I know that, as a MMRPG, this gets a little away from what I think your student is trying to focus on but here goes anyways.

Some interesting aspects of cooperation that arise in GWs as I would suspect in other similar games. It starts out being fairly easy to accomplish on your own but you are fairly quickly forced to form groups to accomplish missions to move on to more demanding portions of the game. The set up makes it very easy for defection, by either jumping out of the group mid-mission or by doing things like snagging all the "booty" first (oh I guess I'm supposed to wait til the 19th for that):) Most of the missions have particular nuances that must be problem solved either through the specialties you come in with (weapons or capabilties) or actions that must be taken in the mission, most are not purely a hack and slash (although there is plenty to be had). I say all this (not to prove my geekness, although I'm sure it has) but to demonstrate that I think you could do some interesting tests of cooperation theory in this type of platform with real folks.

In many of the "city" areas, where there is no combat actions that happen, there are many interesting things to be observed, from the utterly stupid (naked dance parties) to established norms (at the trading centers) to the puzzling (groups of 5 to 10 folks hanging out for hours not really doing much of anything). I read some of the threads about possible use of platforms like these for nefarious communications but that's probably getting off topic. What you did get a sense of in the cities were interesting social dynamics, symbols of status, power, and experience are plainly evident (unique skins or items).

The makers of GW often drop unique items or quests into the game that players quickly work through and based on your "contacts" often determines how quickly or to what level you can accomplish them. Again, showing interesting aspects of cooperation and networks with familiar groups and individuals.

GW also, hence its name, allows the formation of guilds that allows individuals with enough money to build a virtual headquarters and can then recruit individuals to be able to access the guild. Based on my participation and others that I know, I don't think that the conversations are monitored like they are in the "main" playing area. I know that people have been reprimanded or booted for actions and communications that happened in the main playing area, but I've never heard of any evesdropping on the guilds (not saying its not happening just never seen or heard anything to believe its being done). I would guess the logic is that each guild leader can manage his own house or something along those lines.

Interestingly, Hizbullah has put out two FPS games, and a member of the Lebanese opposition also tweaked an existing game to allow you to Storm the Grand Serail in Beirut and kill the Prime Minister.

That is interesting

Steve Blair
09-17-2007, 01:45 PM
There was some related discussion here (http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=2781) about gaming and small wars. Might be worth a look-see for your student.

Cavguy
09-17-2007, 03:20 PM

I'd have to go with RPG style. Something along the lines of the "Knights of the old Republic" RPG Star Wars games would work, where your choices influence the story of the game. That said, interactive chi drinking wouldn't get me to plop down $50.

Sometimes I just need to kill hundreds of Nazis...... COD 2 was very theraputic in Tal Afar.