PDA

View Full Version : The War is Not Debated in the Trenches

SWJED
01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Jan. Miami Herald Op-Ed - The War is Not Debated in the Trenches (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/opinion/13588504.htm) by Joe Galloway.

... Lt. Col. Robert Haycock of Delavan, Ill., commands the 2nd Battalion and this day has flown in to visit with his company commander at Gator Swamp and the men at The Alamo. ``I'm lucky to command these soldiers. America is lucky to have such sons and daughters. After a year this place will look better for sure. We are already seeing children coming out to play and people coming out to talk.''

In places like these tiny outposts, they don't debate the war. They only fight it and shed their blood in the name of their country.

Merv Benson
01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Isn't he the guy who wrote about the battle of Dak To?

Anyway, this story is good writing and good war coverage, something that is unfortunately rare in this war.

Stu-6
01-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Isn't he the guy who wrote about the battle of Dak To?

He wrote We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young about the Ia Drang

Tom Odom
01-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Joe Galloway in my opinion is the Ernie Pyle of Viet Nam and since then. I have exchanged emails and talked to him; what strikes me about Joe is that he always remembers the "Joe" on the ground. By the way, he is one of the few journalists who have a Bronze Star for his actions in the Ia Drang.

Tom