PDA

View Full Version : Just In From My Publisher's Graphics Department

SteveMetz
10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/ssif21/cover.jpg

Stan
10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey Steve !

Overall, I like the design but the sort of brown top and bottom tends to take away from the picture. The top portion has just dead room and is far too large to be empty as well as being larger than the the space for the Author's name.

I have a reputation for being picky (anal). That said, "American Strategy" leads me to believe it was 'America's Idea', and we are only too well aware of our public's opinion and huge support for those in harm's way.

I don't like the fact that the text for IRAQ AMPERSAND is larger than that of AMERICAN STRATEGY. I'd make the two equal, but never make the American text smaller than Iraq Ampersand's.

Will we be getting discount rates on the book :)

SteveMetz
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Steve !

Overall, I like the design but the sort of brown top and bottom tends to take away from the picture. The top portion has just dead room and is far too large to be empty as well as being larger than the the space for the Author's name.

I have a reputation for being picky (anal). That said, "American Strategy" leads me to believe it was 'America's Idea', and we are only too well aware of our public's opinion and huge support for those in harm's way.

I don't like the fact that the text for IRAQ AMPERSAND is larger than that of AMERICAN STRATEGY. I'd make the two equal, but never make the American text smaller than Iraq Ampersand's.

Will we be getting discount rates on the book :)

Hmm. I see your point but I was kind of assuming that the publisher's graphics department knew what sold.

My guess is that within a few weeks of release, everyone will be getting discount rates.

Stan
10-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Hmm. I see your point but I was kind of assuming that the publisher's graphics department knew what sold.

My guess is that within a few weeks of release, everyone will be getting discount rates.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be an SOB and yes, publisher's tend to know what sells. I won't judge your book by its cover and will gladly read it.

SteveMetz
10-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be an SOB and yes, publisher's tend to know what sells. I won't judge your book by its cover and will gladly read it.

I didn't take it that way. I take very little seriously, particularly myself.

Rank amateur
10-30-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how it ends. No spoilers here until we've all had a chance to read it. ;)

Are you going to be on The Daily Show like Mr. Nagl?

SteveMetz
10-30-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how it ends. No spoilers here until we've all had a chance to read it. ;)

Are you going to be on The Daily Show like Mr. Nagl?

On the final page we find that Bill Kristol murdered sanity with a candlestick.

But seriously, the problem is that it won't end. I'm on like page 450 of the draft and new material that I have to integrate comes out about as fast as I can stuff it in.

selil
10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey! Need a reviewer.. I find that is the cheapest way to get to read books. Sometimes they even call you names inside the book.

SteveMetz
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey! Need a reviewer.. I find that is the cheapest way to get to read books. Sometimes they even call you names inside the book.

I may once I get the manuscript to the publisher. I'll post a call for volunteers in here.

Rank amateur
10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
the problem is that it won't end.

Lots of people agree with you. If you're on The Daily Show, I'll help you write some schtick.

goesh
10-31-2007, 02:26 PM
There's something about the photo used - remove the "stockphoto" from it, that begs dust and bookworms to come calling, too mundane, too blase, like some guy on his first day in country snapped a pic for mom and pop back home - use a diagonal slash/ 2 crystal clear B&W pictures: 1 showing a wrecked vehicle from an IED, the other a scene of a patrol and interaction with Iraqis on the street - tell the graphics people goesh said they don't know what the f*** they are doing

that was a bit rough but it just seems they are targeting a military audience only which is fine but it aint going to keep them big T-bone steaks on your grill for you

Rank amateur
10-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I'll side with the graphics department. Some will see heroes driving out to fight for freedom. Some will see heroes driving into an IED because of idiot politicians who can't admit their mistakes. Both will - hopefully - buy the book looking for proof of their existing beliefs.

Your way, both groups of people will say, "The book is trying to be unbiased therefore it must be full of crap, because I know the truth." (The publishers know that the market of people looking for the unbiased truth is actually very small.)

SteveMetz
10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
There's something about the photo used - remove the "stockphoto" from it, that begs dust and bookworms to come calling, too mundane, too blase, like some guy on his first day in country snapped a pic for mom and pop back home - use a diagonal slash/ 2 crystal clear B&W pictures: 1 showing a wrecked vehicle from an IED, the other a scene of a patrol and interaction with Iraqis on the street - tell the graphics people goesh said they don't know what the f*** they are doing

that was a bit rough but it just seems they are targeting a military audience only which is fine but it aint going to keep them big T-bone steaks on your grill for you

My boss said it was "too tactical" given the thrust of the book, which it is. Given that I'm actually writing about US strategy toward Iraq, this is probably the most apropos cover photo:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/fun/Photofun/76-head_up_ass.jpg

I'm assuming the "stockphoto" thing is on there because they weren't going to buy permission to use the photo until I approved and they have the manuscript.

goesh
10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
nawwww, jazz it up a bit and people will think the author is creative and really put some thought and insight into the book and they'll believe the book isn't filled with military jargon , statistics and arcane, secret acronyms like BGDS and MMPASA (bad graphics dont sell most military personnel are ####ty artists), otherwise this book and 100 others that look just about like it in bookstores across the nation sit and sit and eventually get gnawed on by bookworms - even steve would admit the cover looks dusty:p we all know he is a sharp pencil in the bin but Mom and Pop America don't and they're going to think he is dull when they look at the cover of that book - if he wants more big T-bones on his grill, he will listen to me

OMG! Sedition!! what a picture -

Stan
10-31-2007, 03:36 PM
My boss said it was "too tactical" given the thrust of the book, which it is. Given that I'm actually writing about US strategy toward Iraq, this is probably the most apropos cover photo:

If I saw that on a cover of a book titled American Strategy in Iraq....I'd buy it in a heartbeat :)

marct
10-31-2007, 04:12 PM
If I saw that on a cover of a book titled American Strategy in Iraq....I'd buy it in a heartbeat :)

Stan
10-31-2007, 04:17 PM

I hope the day comes that finally explain's Ken's secret code :confused:

Steve Blair
10-31-2007, 04:17 PM
although you might want to broaden the topic to "American Political Thought" or something similar....:D

Steve Blair
10-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I hope the day comes that finally explain's Ken's secret code :confused:

Simple.

You need 10 characters in the main body of a message to post. Ken (and some others) like to try to answer a point in the title field. This meets the requirement in the message field.

marct
10-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Simple.

You need 10 characters in the main body of a message to post. Ken (and some others) like to try to answer a point in the title field. This meets the requirement in the message field.

abcdefghij

Stan
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
abcdefghij

I had hopes for a better answer as it was my intent to get Steve to change his book cover, and we needed some text to go along with the currently approved photo :D

No longer do you have to read, believe, speculate, theorize and discuss psychology and its psychological principles, now you can PROVE to yourself exactly what the human mind is and how it operates.

Cavguy
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I mainly want to see Steve's current psychadelic avatar as the author's picture on the dustjacket. :D

SteveMetz
10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
I mainly want to see Steve's current psychadelic avatar as the author's picture on the dustjacket. :D

I suggested what I call my "jazzman" persona:

http://pictures-i-like.com/Albums/Album11/Large/Picture_3x.jpg

The alternative is a "neocon" theme:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/ssif21/fantasy31.jpg

Rank amateur
10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Obviously, you don't need any help writing schtick.

goesh
10-31-2007, 05:31 PM
that would be a triple-dog-dare to use that pic on the cover - you better consult fast with the publisher, time for a title change: "Blood on the Mail:The Evolution of American Strategy in Iraq"

SteveMetz
10-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Obviously, you don't need any help writing schtick.

I always felt that I missed my true calling by not becoming a comedy writer. In fact, my dissertation director used to tell me that all the time. At least that's what I assume he meant when he wrote "you have GOT to be joking" all over my drafts.

Stan
10-31-2007, 06:42 PM
We may need to consider a 'focused' face shield or motorcycle helmet and dump the specs...doesn't have that 'Don't foxtrot with me today' look. Contacts perhaps ?

goesh
11-01-2007, 11:14 AM
looks alot like Karl Rove IMO "The Shock and Awe of Deployed Mail In Iraq:The Supremacy of American Technology" It'll be steak and lobster on his grill if he follows my advice, snagging the Liberal audience like krill in a fine net so deftly cast with such a cover and title.....:p