PDA

View Full Version : Military Review

Tom Odom
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Marc,

Well we made the endnotes in this article (http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/CAC/milreview/English/NovDec07/MosserEngNovDec07.pdf)from the AR2 project. :cool:

I even got promoted :wry:

I beleve this is the first in a series from Mosser and his team.

Best

Tom

The process of reconciling a fractured and fragmented society after any conflict—or better yet before a conflict can erupt—is tortuously complicated. It can take almost Herculean resolve to confront a past in which one or more sectors of a society have suffered at the hands of another, and then move that society forward. Sometimes, it may require military force to make that happen. And so, when the U.S. Government finds itself helping rebuild the social structure of a failed state, a “quasi-state,” or some ungoverned space, it should consider using the military as a “forcing function” to bring aggrieved populations together.1

marct
11-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi Tom,

Well we made the endnotes in this article (http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/CAC/milreview/English/NovDec07/MosserEngNovDec07.pdf)from the AR2 project. :cool:

Something at any rate :wry:. So, how come you get promoted and I get my name misspelled :confused:.

I beleve this is the first in a series from Mosser and his team.

I'm looking forward to the rest of them, actually. Actually, from what I have skimmed so far, Michael has done a decent job given the entirely limited space he had to operate in. I'd like to see how his team applies it now...

mwmosser
11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Tom and Marc -

Dang, sorry for the missteps in the endnote. Bad fact-checking in my part (as in lack thereof). Seriously, though, your comments in the writing process and Marc's info paper on the role of culture definitely made me think about ways to incorporate it into the model. Whether or not I succeeded is a matter of contention, but I wanted to give you both the credit you deserve.

I am happy the article is out, and think it will provoke discussion. What I am happiest about is that six Majors will get their case studies published in upcoming issues of MR. Look for them to appear in the next few MR issues. Should be plenty of opportunity for comment and discussion in this forum (and others).

Long story short, back on the net. Will try to keep more active here in the discussions and battles royale :)

Cheers,

MM

marct
11-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Michael,

Glad you're back! I know the type of deadline you were under on that one :wry:. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the follow up articles. BTW, are you going to the Stability Operations and State Building Conference at Austin Peay State University (US Army War College and SSI sponsored) in February?

Marc

mwmosser
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
First I had heard of the Austin Peay conference, but will check it out. Was just at a very interesting one-day seminar at NDU on reconciliation in Iraq. Definitely lots of buzz on this topic right now. Will see what I can do to get down to Tennessee in Feb.

MM

Tom Odom
11-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Tom and Marc -

Dang, sorry for the missteps in the endnote. Bad fact-checking in my part (as in lack thereof). Seriously, though, your comments in the writing process and Marc's info paper on the role of culture definitely made me think about ways to incorporate it into the model. Whether or not I succeeded is a matter of contention, but I wanted to give you both the credit you deserve.

I am happy the article is out, and think it will provoke discussion. What I am happiest about is that six Majors will get their case studies published in upcoming issues of MR. Look for them to appear in the next few MR issues. Should be plenty of opportunity for comment and discussion in this forum (and others).

Long story short, back on the net. Will try to keep more active here in the discussions and battles royale :)

Cheers,

MM

Michael,

Promotions are always welcome :D

Mispelling Canadian names is to be expected, hey :eek:

I look forward to the series and like what's his name, I hope to see more of your thoughts on here.

Best

Tom

marct
11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Promotions are always welcome :D

Mispelling Canadian names is to be expected, hey :eek:

That should be "eh?" :p

I look forward to the series and like what's his name, I hope to see more of your thoughts on here.

Let me just reiterate what GEN Odom said :D.

Promotions aside, I'm glad you're back and I hope you and your team have some time to get more involved.

Marc

Tom Odom
11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
at last recognition :D

but I don't want to give up my brain :eek:

J Wolfsberger
11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
So, how come you get promoted and I get my name misspelled :confused:.

Maybe they like General of the Army Odom more than you?

(I was only going to promote him to MG, but I noticed you'd already given him four stars.)

mwmosser
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Anyone actually read this article yet? Since this is the beginning of a project that is likely to occupy a great deal of my professional life for the foreseeable future, I'm soliciting any and all comments. Print editions should be out to various locales within the next few weeks.

Looking forward to good discussions -

MM

SteveMetz
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
First I had heard of the Austin Peay conference, but will check it out. Was just at a very interesting one-day seminar at NDU on reconciliation in Iraq. Definitely lots of buzz on this topic right now. Will see what I can do to get down to Tennessee in Feb.

MM

Drop a note to our Academic Engagement Office (http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/about/contact-us.cfm) for details. I was supposed to be the SSI point of contact but I weaseled out. I'm a great believer in the power of positive whining.

SteveMetz
11-19-2007, 05:11 PM

That makes me, you, and Harlan Sanders. (The parking sign below was at a Unified Quest seminar at Booz, Allen, Hamilton week before last).

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/ssif21/110707_07051.jpg

mwmosser
11-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Drop a note to our Academic Engagement Office (http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/about/contact-us.cfm) for details. I was supposed to be the SSI point of contact but I weaseled out. I'm a great believer in the power of positive whining.

Done (as of Friday). Awaiting word from SSI on details.

Thanks -

MM