PDA

View Full Version : Reference the Future

Ron Humphrey
12-09-2007, 07:12 PM
I have often thought about something and I would appreciate feedback from others on possible long term implications regarding soldiers psychological states post conflict.

Is it too much to hope that one benefit of the more sociologically based operations currently taking place may in some way provide skill sets which might help soldiers move forward in their personal lives when it comes to family and societal interactions?

Considering the effects that war in and of itself has on those who are involved in it, this seems like a relevant question to me.

Any thoughts ?

Rob Thornton
12-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Ron, I forget where we put it, but there is a related thread entitled "the Well of Courage" that might be useful to you.
Best, Rob

Surferbeetle
12-09-2007, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=Ron Humphrey;34032]

Is it too much to hope that one benefit of the more sociologically based operations currently taking place may in some way provide skill sets which might help soldiers move forward in their personal lives when it comes to family and societal interactions?

If nothing else an OIF/OEF tour makes one profoundly grateful for family, friends, and country. In conversations with veterans of other wars this realization of how fortunate we are to have family, friends, and country seems to be a constant for many of us.

I found that my experiences with targeting, EBO, networks analysis, metrics generation, measures of effectiveness evaluation, myriad BUB's, talking points generation, infrastructure reconnaissance, project management, and many many hours of chai and cigarettes with various interesting folks in various interesting places has changed how I approach life and my military and civilian work for the better.

On the flip side, to paraphrase General Robert E. Lee 'It's a good thing war is horrible, or we would want to engage in it regularly.'