PDA

View Full Version : 9 Innings

nichols
12-21-2007, 04:51 AM
JFCOM. Funded an M&S application for last year's Command & Staff end of year 9 Innings. This year the well ran dry. It's covered for POM 10 but currently there is no $$$. Sooo now my dumbass has been asked to look at it and determine if a current USMC TDS would work.

As to be expected I said aye aye sir, did an about face and now here I am.

What is the end state for 9 Innings and how is the scenario driven (AI, MSELs.????...) During the 10 day operation?

I'll be heading over to CCE sometime next week, I just want some S/A IOT not waste the instructor's time.

Thanks

selil
12-21-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm a technologists but have no clue how y'all do this. :sorry!

nichols
12-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Has anyone here been involved in the 9 innings before?

Penta
12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Better question - what is 9 innings?

SWJED
12-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Better question - what is 9 innings?

9 Innings is the name of the Marine Corps Command and Staff College's final block of instruction / wargame. It was instituted by then CSC Director and now BGen John Toolan. The name comes from the following 2003 quote extracted from a General Tony Zinni address.

What strikes me is that we are constantly redesigning the military to do something it already does pretty well. I mean, I think you heard from the last panel that breaking the organized resistance in Iraq, even though it may not have been the greatest army in the world, was done extremely well. We've very proud of our troops and very proud of the way that was executed and led. But it wasn't enough.

"Whatever blood is poured onto the battlefield could be wasted if we don't follow it up with understanding what victory is."

At the end of the third inning we declared victory and said the game's over. It ain't over. It isn't going to be over in future wars. If we're talking about the future, we need to talk about not how you win the peace as a separate part of the war, but you've got to look at this thing from start to finish. It's not a phased conflict; there isn't a fighting part and then another part. It is nine innings. And at the end of the game, somebody's going to declare victory. And whatever blood is poured onto the battlefield could be wasted if we don't follow it up with understanding what victory is.

There's only one time in our history that we really, truly understood that. Harry Truman and George Marshall understood it. Woodrow Wilson tried to get us to understand it, but we refused and we were doomed to fight again in a second great war. We didn't understand it after the collapse of the Soviet Union. And we have failed in Vietnam, in places like Somalia; and we're in danger of failing again, to get it and to understand it.

SWJED
12-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Has anyone here been involved in the 9 innings before?

... but just enough to be dangerous in making any recommendations or providing insights - my participation is over two years old and was on the facilitation end - no M&S involved.