PDA

View Full Version : Simplified Version of FM 3.0

SteveMetz
12-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Courtesy of the inimitable T.X. Hammes.

Tom Odom
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Folks will quote page 6 for centuries :wry:

Now for the real question: how can we take something this simple and make it mind-numbing complicated so we can then sell a lot of systems necessary to make it work?..

Ron Humphrey
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Courtesy of the inimitable T.X. Hammes.

Love that.

MattC86
12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
this . . .

Soldier: Individual speaking in expletives and wearing cool-looking digital camouflage that doesn’t blend in with anything.

I've been wondering what the ACU is supposed to blend in with for a while now. . .

Good read.

Matt

SteveMetz
12-21-2007, 03:47 PM
this . . .

I've been wondering what the ACU is supposed to blend in with for a while now. . .

Good read.

Matt

Well, it *does" blend with other soldiers who are also wearing it. I suspect it's the old thinking that says one does not need to be able to run faster than a bear, just faster than your buddy.

jonSlack
12-21-2007, 04:01 PM
this . . .

Good read.

Matt

http://op-for.com/camo.jpg

"The new Army BDU pattern seems to be quite effective, even in the most mundane of urban settings."

http://op-for.com/2006/12/camo_testing.html

Norfolk
12-21-2007, 05:12 PM
This is going up on my Regimental Message Board.

wm
12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
But where are the footnotes and bibliography??????? Let's hope the Chicago U. Press doesn't pick this up for publication. :D

selil
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
But where are the footnotes and bibliography??????? Let's hope the Chicago U. Press doesn't pick this up for publication. :D

My understanding is that it is peer reviewed and vetted by experts. However, the version we are seeing is the non-academic version. Somebody likely has a draft that show's the footnotes but they were removed during editing for space reasons.

wm
12-21-2007, 09:26 PM
My understanding is that it is peer reviewed and vetted by experts. However, the version we are seeing is the non-academic version. Somebody likely has a draft that show's the footnotes but they were removed during editing for space reasons.

It is also important to note that no anthroplogists or other social scientists were called on to compromise their research ethics during the new FM's production. However two admin assistants did receive paper cuts when collecting printed copies of the annotated/footnoted draft from the laser printer's tray. At least that is what I've heard from usually reliable sources, taught at some military seminar by Steve Metz, who were involved in writing the original draft. :D

TheCurmudgeon
12-22-2007, 12:16 AM
this . . .

Good read.

Matt

Everyone knows that we went to the new digital uniforms in anticipation of the future war with the robots.

selil
12-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Everyone knows that we went to the new digital uniforms in anticipation of the future war with the robots.

Like Tom Odom I'm a bow hunter. Sneaking up on a deer is one thing, but as a bow hunter I want to go in and out of public land without being seen too (unless I like watching my stuff walk away). Digital would be the last thing I'd use to hide but then again maybe not being able to hide is the inventors mind set? I was told that camouflaging a tank is like giving an ICBM a pretty paint job. It's only good for in barracks and nobody on the receiving end gives a darn how pretty it looks. Hence maybe digital is supposed to be "sexy".

Gian P Gentile
12-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Nah, they won't want it;

first of all none of the writers gave up their names; second, even if they did i dont think any of them are of rock-star status.

Ski
12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Great work here! Almost as good as The League of Disgruntled Majors stuff!

Gian P Gentile
12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Great work here! Almost as good as The League of Disgruntled Majors stuff!

Who do you think wrote it?

Umar Al-Mokhtār
01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
"The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism" was the definition of "Happy Hour." :D

J Wolfsberger
01-02-2008, 09:57 PM
"The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism" was the definition of "Happy Hour." :D

No. Happy Hour is "The redistribution or impairment of mental functions intended to eliminate sentience within an organism"