PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Army Special Forces

jlechelt
12-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi all,
My 22 year old nephew just signed up for the Army, with the goal of serving in the Special Forces. Where is he likely to end up? Do most of those guys go to Iraq and Afghanistan? Are there other areas of likely deployment?
Any good books that accurately describe what he will be confronting over the next couple years?
We're real proud of him and curious about his great new future.
Thanks.

Norfolk
12-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi all,
My 22 year old nephew just signed up for the Army, with the goal of serving in the Special Forces. Where is he likely to end up? Do most of those guys go to Iraq and Afghanistan? Are there other areas of likely deployment?
Any good books that accurately describe what he will be confronting over the next couple years?
Thanks.

He won't be able to go SF for a while, not until he's done his NCO course and got rank. He's got a few years, and Airborne and Ranger Schools, to go through after Infantry OSUT and Battalion, and NCO school - unless SF has gone back to recruiting straight off civvie street like in the 60's.

max161
12-24-2007, 05:52 PM
He won't be able to go SF for a while, not until he's done his NCO course and got rank. He's got a few years, and Airborne and Ranger Schools, to go through after Infantry OSUT and Battalion, and NCO school - unless SF has gone back to recruiting straight off civvie street like in the 60's.

The 18X program is the program that recruits men "off the street." There are Special Forces deployed in Some 60 countries around the world right now. While many go to Iraq and Afghanistan there are many deployed throughout Africa, Latin America, and Asia as well conducting missions that do not have the visibility of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Surferbeetle
12-24-2007, 06:26 PM
All,

The 18X program is an interesting one. It does indeed act as a vehicle for young men 'off the street' to enlist, and if they survive the gauntlet of training, to earn a green beret.

This is a website which should provide some more info about the MOS:

http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/contact.htm

I have spent some time with the products of the 18X program in garrison and find them to be young, intelligent, and determined. Out in the field I usually bump into an older generation of the 18 series and they are very impressive as well. If he makes it through the training, your nephew can look forward to some very interesting work.

Steve

Jedburgh
12-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi all,
Thanks.
I recommend you go ahead and read through the Q&A in the Special Forces Questions (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95) forum and The Pipeline (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25) section at ProfessionalSoldiers (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php).

Stan
12-24-2007, 08:02 PM
The 18X program is the program that recruits men "off the street." There are Special Forces deployed in Some 60 countries around the world right now. While many go to Iraq and Afghanistan there are many deployed throughout Africa, Latin America, and Asia as well conducting missions that do not have the visibility of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Good post, but do indeed check the Army sites (http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mos/special/18x.html) as Ted suggested.

18X isn't actually an MOS (military occupation specialty). Instead, it's an enlistment option. Under the 18X enlistment option, recruits are guaranteed the opportunity to "try out" for Special Forces. It does not guarantee that the recruit will be accepted into the Special Forces program. Please visit the GoArmy Special Forces site for detailed information on special forces training.

Upon reaching the MOS qualification phase, your training background, aptitude, desire, and needs of Special Forces will determine which of the following military occupational specialities you will be assigned to.

bismark17
12-25-2007, 08:02 PM
The book, Chosen Soldier, by Dick Couch is an excellent book written by a Naval Academy graduate, SEAL, and CIA case officer that covers the entire training pipeline and is very interesting coming from the perspective of someone with that kind of background. I can't recommend it enough.

If he is going through the 18x program he might get a copy from clothing sales of "Get Selected for Special Forces" by Major Joe Martin and Master Sergeant Rex Dodson who helped develop the 18 pipeline and wrote the book to increase candidates chances. It's a great "success" coach book for really anyone but it's mainly geared towards gaining the Green Beret. It seems to sell fast at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Lewis but it can also be obtained at www.warrior-mentor.com. Wish him luck!