PDA

View Full Version : Finished!!!

SteveMetz
12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm all giddy! Now all I have to do is finish it. Particularly since my wife is buying Christmas presents with the advance money as we speak (or as we type).

Rank amateur
12-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Can we do the Oprah thing and have a council book club?

SteveMetz
12-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Can we do the Oprah thing and have a council book club?

As long as I don't have to give you all a car. Or hug you.

selil
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
We were doing a book of the month but stalled at John Robbs book. I think Dr. Metz book would be a good additon.

Danny
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree with selil. Would this mean that Steve now has to give us all free books?

wm
12-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Do we need to discuss Steve's book? He's already told us everything that's in it. :D

SteveMetz
12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Do we need to discuss Steve's book? He's already told us everything that's in it. :D

LOL! Good point.

I can't wait for the end. My writing is like something I heard a crusty old admiral say at the beginning of a presentation: "I speak without notes so I'm as anxious to hear what I'm going to say as you are."

Ken White
12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Why wasn't I informed...:D

I'll sign for an advance copy next time I go to B&N.

slapout9
12-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree with selil. Would this mean that Steve now has to give us all free books?

What a great idea:D

SWJED
12-06-2007, 11:24 PM
... congrats on getting Colin Gray to write the intro and getting so close CINC HOME is spending the advance. Can't wait to read it.

SWCAdmin
12-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Definitely a coup. Was it the BBQ that lured him in? I still am monitoring and coveting a slice of that. Disappointed 3 Dec was no-go terrain here for me.

We can most definitely re-energize the BOMC forum. Let's plan on it. Everyone buy on Amazon through links at SWJ, we all win, and it's forum discussion time. Alright!

Now all we need is the book finished and on the street! :p;)

SteveMetz
12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Definitely a coup. Was it the BBQ that lured him in? I still am monitoring and coveting a slice of that. Disappointed 3 Dec was no-go terrain here for me.

We can most definitely re-energize the BOMC forum. Let's plan on it. Everyone buy on Amazon through links at SWJ, we all win, and it's forum discussion time. Alright!

Now all we need is the book finished and on the street! :p;)

3 December turned into a goat rope for me. I am growing senile by the minute (whether due to the book or having two teenage daughters). Got to the Pentagon Doubletree and noticed I'd forgotten to pack socks and underwear. Braved the arctic weather and walked to Marshall's to get some. Later that night I noticed I'd packed two pajama shirts and no bottoms. So I slept upside down.

Then the deal with losing my car in the Pentagon City garage. Then wreck on 270. Finally got home at 10.

Ron Humphrey
12-07-2007, 01:09 AM
3 December turned into a goat rope for me. I am growing senile by the minute (whether due to the book or having two teenage daughters). Got to the Pentagon Doubletree and noticed I'd forgotten to pack socks and underwear. Braved the arctic weather and walked to Marshall's to get some. Later that night I noticed I'd packed two pajama shirts and no bottoms. So I slept upside down.

Then the deal with losing my car in the Pentagon City garage. Then wreck on 270. Finally got home at 10.

how things are going so far I would probably recommend you order all your necessities for home delivery and have all the other VIP's come to you.

Otherwise we may never get the oportunity to buy it.:D

SteveMetz
12-07-2007, 01:53 AM
how things are going so far I would probably recommend you order all your necessities for home delivery and have all the other VIP's come to you.

Otherwise we may never get the oportunity to buy it.:D

I'm planning to have the book jacket photo shot from the waist up. That way if I forget to pack underwear no one will be the wiser.

SWCAdmin
12-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm planning to have the book jacket photo shot from the waist up. That way if I forget to pack underwear no one will be the wiser.
Heck, you might even be able to get away without the pants that way, in the event of a real senior moment.

Just make sure you get your pajamas right the night before so you pose with the right orientation.

SteveMetz
12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Heck, you might even be able to get away without the pants that way, in the event of a real senior moment.

Just make sure you get your pajamas right the night before so you pose with the right orientation.

0900 Saturday and I've already cranked out 1500 words. This may turn out to be a good day.

SteveMetz
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Revised version of a ditty that appeared in Military Review.

Baghdad April

Who would have thought even minutes ago
Blackhawk swept from the taupe
Medieval California Kuwait to the quivering sandust of Talil.
Sweat, Al-Hilah, Marine bird, older than damp crew, machine
Smell, vibration ammo cammo scraped paint web belts, still
Tighten gray roar
Chaos, nose down, brown. Just get us there.

Now green. For ten thousand lives this river ran brown with blood
Helping reeds limber bodies once passed as blind. Just get us there.

Down, then there
BIAP, uncrumbled hull
Spurts and unthinking tremors, the shakti of nonduality,
Bills unpaid as new planes kneel lame,
Crying tarmac, shattered dust.
Fade, then the comic book cantos: a prince of
Babylon, sword of Assyria, builder of Ur, heavens perturbed,
Trauma hung close in broken glass
Facade (yet more)
Meaning deep to those who looted that brief cosmic day
Missed by those who watched.

Stories, reprise, thunder run
Endless dust nights of expendable men
blind (they must have been)
To spin a rusty truck against a tank
With only, what? passion? hate?
fear?
Perhaps no thought at all
Except to hope the engine would start (or not)
and someone else would see.
No matter. They are now mist, counters in a game.

Destroy and build, Shiva in web gear
While somewhere a bridge is lost. But what?
Who is destroyer, who a builder? We know
Often great power owns only dust.

Still there is BIAP
Flight out
Home, strong shoulders
Hiphop, fading you.
And then
A tiny point of blood receding on the glass.

May 2003

SteveMetz
01-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Just shipped that bad boy off to my editor. Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty I'm free at last!

http://www.potomacbooksinc.com/images/covers/1597971960_cf150.jpg

Chris Albon
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Let me be the first to say congratulations!

Going to enjoy some time off?

Rex Brynen
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
ahh yes, but they'll want the script for the movie now ;)

Congratulations on getting it done, Steve! Now if I could just finish this $%&^ ten page paper...

Ken White
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm looking forward to buying three copies, myself and two of the kids... :)

JeffC
01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Just shipped that bad boy off to my editor. Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty I'm free at last!

Very impressive, Steve. I read both the Preface and the Conclusion, and while you covered a lot of ground, it wasn't clear to me whether you addressed the rise of Islamic extremism as an aftermath of our invasion of Iraq. It seems to me that even after Iraq stabilizes, the Long War will continue against Jihadists whose numbers and resolve have both increased since 2003, thanks to U.S. actions in the ME. Shouldn't that be a factor in the evolution of American Strategy?

Also, is there a word missing in your final sentence of the Conclusions section?

The full effect of this long struggle will not become clear confronts its next, as yet unidentified security challenge and the power or weakness of the Iraq paradigm is put to the test.

Surferbeetle
01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Steve M,

Looks interesting, can I get this on Amazon? Looking forward to the read and footnotes.

Steve L.

Stan
01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Steve,
What a great way to start the New Year...Congratulations !

Ken White
01-01-2008, 09:32 PM
... It seems to me that even after Iraq stabilizes, the Long War will continue against Jihadists whose numbers and resolve have both increased since 2003, thanks to U.S. actions in the ME. Shouldn't that be a factor in the evolution of American Strategy?

quite strongly that the numbers and resolve might well have increased at the same or even at a greater level had we not entered Iraq. Turning the other cheek in the ME is seen as a distinct weakness and attempts at compromise in the western mode are viewed as concessions to be exploited.

We have been guilty of misreading the ME for many years but our failure to react to provocations since 1979 certainly had far more to do with the airplane fly-ins than did Operation Ajax, any support for Israel or the literally dozens of other minor contributors. The folks in the ME are born hagglers and -- they believe at least -- born warriors; they attack weakness. That's what they do. It's in the genes...

That is forgotten by many in the west who do not think at all like that average person in the ME and who too frequently try to act based on a perception that those who live there think as we do. They do not.

Steve makes a valid point in his Preface and reiterates it in the Conclusions -- he and most strategic thinkers confined Iraq to the periphery unless it popped up on the radar screen. That syndrome, too, is a facet of American strategy and has been for most of our 220 years. Our political system with wholesale changes every four or eight years causes this, always has and always will. I wouldn't change that as I for one believe the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages... ;)

RTK
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM

So when can I start plagerizing this? :D

selil
01-01-2008, 10:13 PM
When can I get a SIGNED copy?

SteveMetz
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Going to enjoy some time off?

Ha! Ha I say! I currently owe a chapter on the changing nature of war to a compilation the Norwegian air force is doing; a paper for a South African army; and a paper on "high value targeting" (AKA assassinating bad guys) for the RAND Insurgency Board. Plus I'm leading a CSA tasked project on OIF strategy decisionmaking. I'll rest when they pry my cold, dead fingers off of my Macanudo.

SteveMetz
01-01-2008, 10:41 PM
ahh yes, but they'll want the script for the movie now ;)

Congratulations on getting it done, Steve! Now if I could just finish this $%&^ ten page paper...

I'm hoping that we can get Janeane Garofalo to play Bill Kristol in the movie. I'm a *great* fan of irony.

SteveMetz
01-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Steve M,

Looks interesting, can I get this on Amazon? Looking forward to the read and footnotes.

Steve L.

Won't be till next fall. There's a long way to go.

marct
01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Next Fall? Darn, drat and other similar comments! BTW, need a reviewer?

JeffC
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
quite strongly that the numbers and resolve might well have increased at the same or even at a greater level had we not entered Iraq.

Well, the difference is that we know for sure that all of the numbers went up: recruitment, terrorist acts, number of cells operating in other countries - post-2003 invasion. Since that's a known fact, and the alternative that you expressed is a hypothetical, it would seem prudent to at least examine that increase as a variable in any analysis of our military strategy.

SteveMetz
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Next Fall? Darn, drat and other similar comments! BTW, need a reviewer?

Thanks. I'll let you know what the publisher says. Don't know if I have to find my own or if they do.

Ken White
01-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Well, the difference is that we know for sure that all of the numbers went up: recruitment, terrorist acts, number of cells operating in other countries - post-2003 invasion. Since that's a known fact, and the alternative that you expressed is a hypothetical, it would seem prudent to at least examine that increase as a variable in any analysis of our military strategy.

a highly likely one but in either case, it's irrelevant, we are where we are and where we are is at a point where the impact of any or no increase or even had (or has?) there been a decrease -- and we don't; cannot, have true numbers -- will have no real strategic impact. The issue 'strategically' (to misuse the word) is the intention of said population and the numbers are relatively immaterial. Their resolution is only a slightly more relevant issue as that will almost certainly vary from person to person on a daily basis -- as will the total numbers of adherents for that matter...

The intent of the truly dedicated is important but the number of those and their resolution is almost tangential. :cool:

They are out there, there aren't all that many but those who are true believers will be intent on doing the west in general and us in particular harm in any way they can. That was a given 50 years ago, ten years ago and will be ten and even 50 years in the future. The only way to mitigate their potential for harm is to make it far more costly. That is very difficult to do with those who are willing to die for their cause but it is not impossible. It will take two to three generations as opposed to five or six had we simply waited, restricted ourselves to 'containment' (though I'm unsure how you contain an amorphous group of non-state actors) and 'diplomacy.'

We know all those numbers went up -- we also know that successes in deterring recruitment, short circuiting terrorist acts, and identification and disruption of the greater number of cells operating in other countries have been achieved and that those successes are growing. They have not really had a good year in spite of the increases you posit and I'm quite sure that will continue to be the case. That's why I say those pluses are unimportant.

JeffC
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
We know all those numbers went up -- we also know that successes in deterring recruitment, short circuiting terrorist acts, and identification and disruption of the greater number of cells operating in other countries have been achieved and that those successes are growing. They have not really had a good year in spite of the increases you posit and I'm quite sure that will continue to be the case. That's why I say those pluses are unimportant.

Ken, I don't know where you're finding your facts, but here are a few starting points:

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/canada602/excerpt.html

http://jamestown.org/terrorism/news/article.php?articleid=2369635

This issue is so well-documented that I'm a bit surprised that you're willing to debate it. There is no lack of data that the U.S. war in Iraq has contributed to the radicalization of Islamic extremists; that they are spreading into Europe, Africa, the Near East, etc.

a highly likely one but in either case, it's irrelevant, we are where we are and where we are is at a point where the impact of any or no increase or even had (or has?) there been a decrease -- and we don't; cannot, have true numbers -- will have no real strategic impact.

No offense intended, but I'm not exactly sure I know what you just said. It sounds like you're saying that the documented increase in al-Qaeda fighters world-wide is "irrelevant", and/or that we "cannot have true numbers". I must have missed the memo that said to ignore whether your enemy is gaining ground, both in numbers of fighters and geographical distribution. I have a hard time believing that that's considered sound doctrine in any nation's military, let alone ours.

To bring this discussion back around to Steve's book, my question still stands for Steve - has this unforseen development been addressed in your book as a factor in our evolving military strategy Post-Iraq?

Ken White
01-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Ken, I don't know where you're finding your facts, but here are a few starting points:

This issue is so well-documented that I'm a bit surprised that you're willing to debate it. There is no lack of data that the U.S. war in Iraq has contributed to the radicalization of Islamic extremists; that they are spreading into Europe, Africa, the Near East, etc.

First, I'm not questioning the probability there more bad guys about -- you must've missed the fact that I said they probably had gone up -- but that 'fact' is irrelevant IMO. Thus there is no debate on the 'issue.' I'm unsure why you assume I'm debating anything. I'm not.

I suggest that there is little data on the issue as you state it but a whole lot of mostly ill-informed conjecture and postulating by folks with differing agendas (on both sides). Forgive me if I don't drink either side's Kool Aid. You may differ in your thoughts on the same 'fact' and that's okay. Two people looking at the same circumstantial evidence and drawing different conclusions is not at all unheard of...

The real fact is there is not a major terrorist organization or operation now that did not exist pre-9/11. The equally real fact is that there are a lot of unemployed and therefor disaffected young Muslim males in all the areas you mention and they're going to find something to do with their spare time. They will join and then leave, rejoin and leave again and switch allegiances with some rapidity any thing that offers an escape from boredom. Thus, 'jihad' is cool.

An equally real fact is that item, strategically, is not a pressing concern. It is more relevant operationally but only a little. It can be locally significant tactically. Whether it will be remains to be seen and in any even will vary widely in net effect from area to area.

Your links pose a problem to me. First, Frontline is not exactly on the cutting edge of anything and anyone or anything associated with Hamilton and Pillar is, IMO, highly suspect of foisting incompetence on the world, so, while I read that link, it doesn't pass the "so what" test. Secondly, Jamestown is a much more competent source but that particular link doesn't tell us anything that wasn't known ten years ago about Muslims in Europe; it merely updates the info.

Here's a LINK (http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2007/12/the_state_of_jihad_2.php) you may or may not have seen. Note that it essentially says the same thing I said (my point, as they say...) and that you decided to blow off below; Numbers may be up, however the other side is not making a whole lot of progress...

No offense intended, but I'm not exactly sure I know what you just said. It sounds like you're saying that the documented increase in al-Qaeda fighters world-wide is "irrelevant",...

That is exactly what I said and meant -- in relation to strategy. Numbers in small to middling quantities are not important; intentions and capabilities are all important. The former are not known, the latter are being degraded by the west -- and by Muslim nations -- on a daily basis. I am not privy to the Strategy, nor should I be, however, based on what I can see, the Strategy did and does accomodate your concerns.

...and/or that we "cannot have true numbers"...

True, we cannot. All we can get are guesses by folks with agendas. Nor are the numbers at all important strategically.

...I must have missed the memo that said to ignore whether your enemy is gaining ground, both in numbers of fighters and geographical distribution. I have a hard time believing that that's considered sound doctrine in any nation's military, let alone ours.

I didn't say to ignore the numbers and the geographic spread, I said they were irrelevant to strategy; I'd add in the quantities probable and locations known, the slight improvement in their status in those two areas is significantly offset by their losses in many other areas. The only place they consistently remain well ahead of is in the IO sector -- there, they're creaming us, no question. They always will for many reasons but we could surely do better than we have and are -- that, though is only of small strategic concern for several reasons.

As an aside, do not confuse the number of adherents and / or supporters with a number of 'fighters' -- the two are not synonymous, far from it. Expanding operations in areas where one has long been present is also not synonymous with 'gaining ground' in the intelligence analysis or operational sense; and it has no strategic connotation at all..

To bring this discussion back around to Steve's book, my question still stands for Steve - has this unforseen development been addressed in your book as a factor in our evolving military strategy Post-Iraq?

I obviously can't answer for Steve but my solution to your question would be to buy the book and read it before critiquing it or patronizing the author (IMO, of course), even indirectly.

I question your use of the word 'unforeseen.' By whom? Having seen some early documentation on the invasion of Iraq from several sources, the increases you cite may have been unforeseen by you but State, the CIA and the Army all foresaw them LINK (http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB11.pdf)(Go to Conclusion, p.13), LINK (http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB182.pdf). I foresaw them as did many of my acquaintances -- and my kids, including my then 20 something non-military daughter. As did, I suspect, the Administration. They, like me, seem to have decided that the gain was well worth the minor risk. Then there are those that did not foresee them and / or are afraid of risk. Some folks may be prone to both foibles.

Ron Humphrey
01-02-2008, 03:05 AM

No offense intended, but I'm not exactly sure I know what you just said. It sounds like you're saying that the documented increase in al-Qaeda fighters world-wide is "irrelevant", and/or that we "cannot have true numbers". I must have missed the memo that said to ignore whether your enemy is gaining ground, both in numbers of fighters and geographical distribution. I have a hard time believing that that's considered sound doctrine in any nation's military, let alone ours.

Jeff,

When we talk about strategy are we talking about where to go and what to do or how to go about getting where we want to be.

It seems to me just like forest and fires, there are always lots of trees dying or dead bushes through any given area. KNowing about it and doing something are two different things. If an area is left to its own for a longer period of time without any thinning or firebreaks being built it will inevitably burn larger and more devastatingly when a fire eventually starts. if proper care is taken to be proactive in preparations against that fire then the end result would be less drastic. So strategically I think about the issues with terrorist throughout the world and how on their own within their own little areas they may not seem so bad but sooner or later the fire starts and depending on past actions and preparations of those countries around them it will help to determine how bad the fire gets.

If you look at it this way how much has really been done in the last 20 years to burn the fire breaks or thin out the forests so as to minimalize what would eventually happen without any doubt.

Two tanks can't go in opposite directions on a oneway bridge at the same time so which tank do you think should let the other guy come to his side first.

It just seems to me that sometimes the absolutes which which exist despite what we would like to believe are really left out of the picture and thus strategy does suffer.
So which tank wants t back up and let the other guy come

JeffC
01-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Ken, I've got a lot to say about this, but I'm not going to do it in this thread. I'll organize an essay on the subject with appropriate reference data and post it when its ready in the appropriate forum.

I will, however, comment on this statement of yours:

I obviously can't answer for Steve but my solution to your question would be to buy the book and read it before critiquing it or patronizing the author (IMO, of course), even indirectly.

Ken, did you see my first post? (quoted below)

Very impressive, Steve. I read both the Preface and the Conclusion, and while you covered a lot of ground, it wasn't clear to me whether you addressed the rise of Islamic extremism as an aftermath of our invasion of Iraq. It seems to me that even after Iraq stabilizes, the Long War will continue against Jihadists whose numbers and resolve have both increased since 2003, thanks to U.S. actions in the ME. Shouldn't that be a factor in the evolution of American Strategy?

Personally, I don't see anything disrespectful or patronizing about what I wrote, nor did I write a critique. I asked a question because I didn't see this issue covered in either the Preface or the Conclusion, which is all I had available to read.

JeffC
01-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Jeff,

When we talk about strategy are we talking about where to go and what to do or how to go about getting where we want to be.

As I said to Ken, I don't think that this is the appropriate thread to have this discussion/debate, Ron. It should stay focused on Steve's successful completion of his book.

Instead, I'm going to work on an essay on this topic and post it in its own thread in the appropriate forum. I hope that you'll read it and comment on it then.

Ken White
01-02-2008, 04:49 AM
my part and not precisely what I meant

. . .
I will, however, comment on this statement of yours:

Ken, did you see my first post? (quoted below)

Personally, I don't see anything disrespectful or patronizing about what I wrote, nor did I write a critique. I asked a question because I didn't see this issue covered in either the Preface or the Conclusion, which is all I had available to read.
Yes, I saw it. Patronizing is, I guess, in the eye of the beholder. IMO the question was mildly so and your 0001 comment to me was more so and that may have triggered my use of the word. YMMV. Agree none of this needs to be on this thread.

Ron Humphrey
01-02-2008, 04:59 AM
As I said to Ken, I don't think that this is the appropriate thread to have this discussion/debate, Ron. It should stay focused on Steve's successful completion of his book.

Instead, I'm going to work on an essay on this topic and post it in its own thread in the appropriate forum. I hope that you'll read it and comment on it then.

I will be waiting with baited breath, as
I'm pretty sure I'm so far out of my league I will be quickly back to reading and learning from those posts.:D

Did not mean to disregard Steve, his completion of the book, or his facts.

He is always at the the forefront of commentary and deliberation in the defense sector and as such I'm sure the book in its entirety will contain many good items of discussion.

Steve:

Congrats

tequila
01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Congratulations, Dr. Metz! Where will you be taking your well-deserved vacation?

Gian P Gentile
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Steve:

Congratulations; well done.

gian

John T. Fishel
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Steve. You conclusion is very thought provoking. I look forward to reading the book in its entirety.

Best

John

J Wolfsberger
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Steve,

I'll be among the first to buy when it comes out.

So, what's the word on autographed copies?

SteveMetz
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Steve,

I'll be among the first to buy when it comes out.

I'll probably do signings at every East Coast book store that will let me in the door. And ones that didn't lock their door carefully.

Kreker
01-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Looks like a great read...can't wait! Enjoy the limelight...it's well deserved!

Best

MountainRunner
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Looking forward to reading the whole thing as soon as it's available.

slapout9
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
What is the projected date to be in Slapout,Al. for a book signing?

SteveMetz
01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
What is the projected date to be in Slapout,Al. for a book signing?

http://stickandballguy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/hell_freezes_over.jpg

Rank amateur
01-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Amazon sells autographed copies. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-4578743-1422309?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=autographed+copies&x=0&y=0) I'll buy one through the link on this site if they're available.

I enjoyed the opening but your writing style seems to have evolved. Based on this online quote, you apparently used to be much more concise. ;)

Metz and Kievit outline three basic goals:
1. The United States government will control the planet.
2. The military will control the government.
3. Computer nerds will control the military.

SWJED
01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
http://stickandballguy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/hell_freezes_over.jpg

http://www.smallwarsjournal.com/images/slapoutbookstore.jpg

slapout9
01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi Steve....as a matter of fact it is supposed to get down to 19 degrees tonight:eek:

SWJED...You weren't supposed to post that before the Grand Opening:D

selil
01-03-2008, 01:50 AM
We're looking at a balmy zero, Fahrenheit.

Granite_State
01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Congratulations Steve, looking forward to reading it next fall.

Tom Odom
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.smallwarsjournal.com/images/slapoutbookstore.jpg

That ain't Slap's Inn. Where's the pot (toilet for you Yankees) on the porch?

Stan
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
That ain't Slap's Inn. Where's the pot (toilet for you Yankees) on the porch?

I recall Goesh selling Slap the place without the pot :eek:

Tom Odom
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I recall Goesh selling Slap the place without the pot :eek:

Well that would mean that Slap don't have a pot to p!$$ in...:eek:

If Steve is gonna sign books there he needs to by Slap a pot--with a lid :cool:

(I know Steve is really gonna appreciate the drift this thread has taken).

Stan
01-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Well, there is that porta pottie that Ted found :D

UNCLE BOOGER'S (http://bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm)
BUMPER DUMPER ®
U.S. Patent # 6125480
SCROLL DOWN AND
ORDER NOW

SteveMetz
01-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I know Steve is really gonna appreciate the drift this thread has taken.

What I don't appreciate is that you guys have stolen my own personal role of dragging every thread I participate in downhill!

MattC86
01-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Congratulations, Dr. Metz. And lest you feel that no one carries your work, fear not, the Cornell Library has some 36 titles of yours. Although they did probably get them at academic discount. And a lot of them are electronic resources.

But in all seriousness, congrats and I look forward to the book.

Matt

SteveMetz
01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Congratulations, Dr. Metz. And lest you feel that no one carries your work, fear not, the Cornell Library has some 36 titles of yours. Although they did probably get them at academic discount. And a lot of them are electronic resources.

But in all seriousness, congrats and I look forward to the book.

Matt

Hey--I'm still miffed at Cornell because that was by far the first choice of the 10 colleges that my oldest daughter looked at, and they turned her down!

http://pictures-i-like.com/Albums/Album5/Large/Cornell_Nov_05.jpg

MattC86
01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Hey--I'm still miffed at Cornell because that was by far the first choice of the 10 colleges that my oldest daughter looked at, and they turned her down!

http://pictures-i-like.com/Albums/Album5/Large/Cornell_Nov_05.jpg

Based on my surreal experience applying for colleges, applying at Cornell and places of that ilk is a total crap shoot, unless you're a legacy - or you build the Steve Metz Center for Advanced International Studies on campus. Plus it's more competitive for girls. My sister is going through that now.

In the picture, if you had panned a bit to the right, you would see the memorial plaque for all the freshman engineers who jump into the gorge each fall clutching their first-ever B+. . .

Matt

TT
01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Steve,

Congratulations on finishing the monster! Doing so is no small achievement (I have two such monsters leering out at me from under heaps of research). I read your conclusions today - and now I have another book to buy and read.

Cheers

TT

Ironhorse
01-03-2008, 10:11 PM
High above Cayuga's waters,
There's an awful smell.
Some say it's Cayuga's waters,
Some say it's Cornell.

slapout9
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM

Just to clarify things...we use an out house just like regular folks does and it is in the back of the SBWI (Slapout Based Warfare Institue) where it is supposed to be:eek: Youins ain't got no pereciation of Southern Livin Arketeksure type stuff.

JeffC
01-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Just to clarify things...we use an out house just like regular folks does and it is in the back of the SBWI (Slapout Based Warfare Institue) where it is supposed to be:eek: Youins ain't got no pereciation of Southern Livin Arketeksure type stuff.

I'm sorry to say that I understood every word of that eloquent Southern slang, Slap. And I'm a Yankee.

J Wolfsberger
01-04-2008, 11:16 AM

slapout,

Just to clarify, is the outhouse plank (LA) or porcelain (UA)?

SteveMetz
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
slapout,

Just to clarify, is the outhouse plank (LA) or porcelain (UA)?

Porcelain is for carpetbaggers and transvestites.

Which, of course, doesn't necessarily answer your question.

slapout9
01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I am not really sure what it is made out of:wry: but during an outhouse visit I did some reading on Steve's excerpts from his book.
Really like the conclusion doc. Steve posted from his book, there is a lot of wisdom in there if future administrations will just apply it.

SteveMetz
01-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I am not really sure what it is made out of:wry: but during an outhouse visit I did some reading on Steve's excerpts from his book.
Really like the conclusion doc. Steve posted from his book, there is a lot of wisdom in there if future administrations will just apply it.

Hey--a niche market is a niche market! I'll take what I can get.

I did half seriously suggest to my boss that it would greatly augment the influence of the Strategic Studies Institute if we could put up literature racks in the stalls in the Pentagon latrines.

John T. Fishel
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
And that's as far as I'll go.:rolleyes:

JohnT

SWCAdmin
01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I did half seriously suggest to my boss that it would greatly augment the influence of the Strategic Studies Institute if we could put up literature racks in the stalls in the Pentagon latrines.
At least amongst the carpetbaggers and transvestites.

J Wolfsberger
01-04-2008, 12:13 PM
...literature racks in the stalls in the Pentagon latrines.

Would these serve as replacements for the Sears catalog?

slapout9
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Would these serve as replacements for the Sears catalog?

Steve doesn't need to worry Sears is the Gold Standard. Kinda of the Alabama version of going Green:wry:

SteveMetz
01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Steve doesn't need to worry Sears is the Gold Standard. Kinda of the Alabama version of going Green:wry:

But only for people without access to corncobs, right?

Ron Humphrey
01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I really liked the introduction. You did a wonderful job of presenting your viewpoint and the direction your coming from.

This bodes well for the those who are reading on the fly.

SteveMetz
01-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd like to include Doug MacGregor's recent Mother Jones article in my book bibliography but all I have is an electronic version sans page numbers. Does anyone have one with page numbers? If not, does anyone have an email for him (all I have is his wireless phone number in my contacts so could try that if all else fails. If you do, PM or email me.

Tanks.

SteveMetz
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Don't know if this would be of any value to anyone, but here's the just-completed bibliography for Iraq and the Evolution of American Strategy.

slapout9
01-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Steve, here is a link to his website which has an email address listed.

http://www.douglasmacgregor.com/

SteveMetz
01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Steve, here is a link to his website which has an email address listed.

http://www.douglasmacgregor.com/

Wow! I thought that the major sign of one's importance today was being high profile enough that somebody took the time to deface your Wikipedia page (I'm still waiting on one of my slug LTCs to do that). But now I realize I need my own domain name. Maybe dopeonarope.com or something.