PDA

View Full Version : OSINT for Spin Boldak?

milnews.ca
01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I have a buddy/former colleague about to head to AFG to CIMIC/Civil Affairs in Spin Boldak area, and I promised him some OSINT sources to supplement what he gets from the system. After an hour or so on the 'net, here's what I've been able to find (http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/OSINT-Spin-Boldak-Area). Since it's a border area, I've also included a few links to what might be happening on the other side.

Any other major OS links I'm missing that may not be hit by the usual Google/Dogpile/Yahoo/et. al. search engines? Also, any OS links to AARs on Op Mongoose (USA, AFG-PAK border area, 2001) also appreciated - there's some interest in the caves/tunnels in the area.

Post or e-mail (tony@milnews.ca) hugely appreciated - thanks loads!

Cavguy
03-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Reviving this thread - I'm doing a research paper on the Afghan border town of Spin Boldak and border issues as part of my continuing research into external support and insurgencies. In addition to the above, I found one very useful Harper's article (http://www.harpers.org/archive/2009/12/0082754), was wondering if the collective wisdom of the council could point to more?

Entropy
03-27-2010, 03:16 AM
I will do some looking later this weekend, but I seem to remember (it's been a couple of years) reading an NGO report or two on refugees in the Spin Boldak area - it is a major crossing point, so that might be a productive line of research.

davidbfpo
03-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Try a Google search with ICG + Spin Boldak and that suggests several reports, not all by the ICG, that may merit a look.

Bob's World
03-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Controlling Spin is like owning a printing press for money. Any Afghan leader who doesn't control it will tell you how corrupt the guy who does is (and how it would be much better under their own control). Converting these to legal teriffs will be critical some day.

As to support for the insurgency, that stuff comes in everywhere, it doesn't need to come straight up the highway (though a great deal undoubtedly does).

States care about borders and border crossing points. Nodal terrorist/insurgent networks don't. Think lilly pads, not borders. ID and disrupt the lilly pads to disrupt networks. Control borders to manage commerce and taxation.