PDA

View Full Version : Career Question

Aurelian
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I am a Reservist deploying to the sandbox and have decided to change careers to Intel full time. I want to string together some orders after the sandobx and earn a Intel Graduate Certificate from American Military University. Right now my plan is to bulk up on experience and get the paper. How useful is the paper? I would do it regardless because there are some subjects I really want to explore.

Rob Thornton
01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Aurelian,
Check in with your new Branch Manager and see what they can do for you - might be they could send you to NDU as part of an ACS incentive. Just give them a call and see what they say.
Best, Rob

CR6
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Rob's motion Aurelian. You may already know this, as you've worked at DIA before but the National Defense Intelligence College ( http://www.dia.mil/college/admissions.htm ) has some great programs, including some post grad opportunities solely for reservists. AMU is a great school, in fact I'm attending now, but NDIC is a free ride. TA doesn't cover all of AMU's costs. As for how important the paper itself is for an intel pro, I'm not qualified to answer. IMO, more education is always better as long as the student thinks critically about what's taught. Good luck.

selil
01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Aurelian having met you what ever you need let me know. Going to NDU, NDI, or AMU are all great places to get an education. I'm of the opinion right now that paper is becoming a bigger deal in the military as credentialism creeps into the ranks.

ETA: There is another opportunity.... Look up CERIAS and Scholarship for Service. You'd be a great candidate and they give reservists money.... Something to think about as you have the skills too.

Aurelian
01-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the responses. It shines some light I needed in this area. I will be doing some research on this since I have some time before deployment. May have some further questions the deeper I go in finding out about these programs.

selil
01-23-2008, 04:27 AM
I have a fellow student who just graduated from CERIAS. I am not certain of the exact mechanism but he was active duty Army E-6, went reserve to get his masters degree, considered going OCS, but instead went back active duty E-7 as some types of intelligence analyst. He got paid through a variety of sources for his two years in college at Boiler Maker U.