PDA

View Full Version : Looking for maps of NWFP/Waziristan

Granite_State
01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm trying to find a big, comprehensive map of Waziristan and Pakistan's North-West Frontier, from Peshawar to the Durand Line, including Baluchistan, to help me with the writing of my PhD. Ideally, and this is tough, I'm looking for a map that shows how the British expanded the road net on the Frontier from 1919-1939. I've got some smaller ones, mostly from old British service journals, but was looking for a big one to be able to glance at while I'm writing. Anyone know where to start looking for maps and atlases? Thanks.

Surferbeetle
01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Granite_State,

You might try the Perry-Castaņeda Library
Map Collection at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

If you run across some other map links that are worthwhile I would be interested in the links.

Steve

BRUZ_LEE
01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Maybe there is something for you here...

http://www.khyber.org/maps.shtml

BRUZ

davidbfpo
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
The Pakistani government publish an atlas, which appears to come in a soft cover, with a variety of maps at 1:1,000,000 scale and a DVD. Alas no contact details on copy seen.

Haqqi Brothers of Karachi publish a series of large maps of Pakistan and email contact on maps is: haqqibr@cyber.net.pk

Another suggestion by a London contcat is the Old India Office Library, in London, who have a map section and of course Stanfords, a map shop, in central London (near Charing Cross).

davidbfpo

Granite_State
02-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies, web links were helpful. David, I will definitely check out Stanford's when I'm back in London in a couple weeks.

Ahmadzai
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Granite State, i'm writing my Ph.D. too, and it's related to the tribal areas of Pakistan, FATA and NWFP. May be we can exchange some information. I need good maps of the area too, and i'm looking for some comprehensible work about the tribes, sub-tribes, etc, of the area.
You can write me to my email adress: carlosetas@yahoo.es

anon456
10-28-2009, 11:11 PM
The U502 Series of topographic maps (US Army 1955), specifically sheets
NI-42-4, NI-42-7, NI-42-8, NI-42-11, NI-42-15 would have these details. Were these sheets ever declassified when the others were in the 1970's ?