PDA

View Full Version : UN Public Information Efforts

Complex
01-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Grateful for view, or comparative analysis of the impact of UN peace ops information efforts verus that of various military psy / influence ops. The UN is conducting multiple information efforts inc. radio broadcasting in numerous post conflict environments. Has the military anything to learn from these UN operations and vice versa?

marct
01-31-2008, 01:30 AM
I haven't seen any analyses of them around. Did you have any particular operation in mind?

Marc

Complex
01-31-2008, 01:55 AM
No specific operation in mind - the UN operational model varies from environment to environment, seemingly due to the absence of firm policy and considerable delegation of authority to field managers. Approaches vary from rapid, blunt military style deployments of radio stations (run by civilians) to longer term media assitance and sectoral rehabilitation efforts. I wonder if the military have studied, assesed these ops and incorporated any potential good practice into their own efforts, notably in Afghanistan, Iraq or simply in terms of doctrine.

Rex Brynen
01-31-2008, 02:16 AM
You might have a look at Dan Lindley, "Untapped power? The Status of UN Information Operations," International Peacekeeping 11, 4 (Winter 2004).

Tom Odom
01-31-2008, 01:43 PM
No specific operation in mind - the UN operational model varies from environment to environment, seemingly due to the absence of firm policy and considerable delegation of authority to field managers. Approaches vary from rapid, blunt military style deployments of radio stations (run by civilians) to longer term media assitance and sectoral rehabilitation efforts. I wonder if the military have studied, assesed these ops and incorporated any potential good practice into their own efforts, notably in Afghanistan, Iraq or simply in terms of doctrine.

At the risk of self-promotion, look at my memoirs concerning Rwanda. Also suggest you contact Ross Johnson who is a member here. Ross was UNAMIR 2 G2.

Best

Tom