PDA

View Full Version : Getting IO right?

Bill Moore
02-11-2008, 02:25 PM
http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2008/February/ComicBook.htm

Excellent and short article by Stew Magnuson in the National Defense on MIST teams in OEF-Philippines. Seems like we developed what could be an effective counter-narrative, that hopefully will put the enemy on the defensive. Bill

The comic book focuses on Ameer, who left his home island to work overseas, but returns to find it racked with violence. Ameer is a practitioner of kuntao, which is a local form of martial arts. Like Zorro or Batman, he dons a mask and vows to protect the downtrodden and innocent victims of terrorists.

The Philippines military are also portrayed in a positive and heroic light while the villains are the terrorists or “bandits.” The creators were careful to accurately illustrate the Sulu region, and use character names, clothing and mannerisms that reflect the culture of the Tausug ethnic group. There are versions in English and in the local dialect.

It depicts real events that took place on the islands and at neighboring Basilan — specifically the Sulu Co-Op bombing in March 2006, which killed five and injured 40 and the Basilan hostage crisis when members of the Abu Sayyaf Group took school children and used them as human shields against Filipino troops.

marct
02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Bill,

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2008/February/ComicBook.htm

Excellent and short article by Stew Magnuson in the National Defense on MIST teams in OEF-Philippines. Seems like we developed what could be an effective counter-narrative, that hopefully will put the enemy on the defensive. Bill

Love it!

120mm
02-12-2008, 10:59 AM
My daughter is an amateur cartoonist. I forwarded the link to her. I think she'll like this!

Rockbridge
02-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Sounds like we've progressed somewhat from our Bosnia days, where the PSYOP teams produced a comic book in which Superman rescued some local kids from a minefield. The product was designed to warn kids to stay away from miefields to begin with, but unfortunately publication of the product was followed by a rash of kids going into minefields so Superman would come get them. Although I don't think anyone could possibly have predicted that outcome, it further reinforces the fact that understanding the culture is critical to making a good product .....

Bill Moore
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
While not a PYSOP'er (I work for a living), I think the product has incredible potential if it is truly well received by the intended audience.

1. It appears to be culturally appropriate, so the audience "should" be receptive. The key is it is offensive in nature, so it puts the thugs/terrorists on the defensive with the audience they are trying to influence. We we are undermining their narrative and painting them as the bad guys (that shouldn't be too hard, but somehow until now we seemed to failed at this) to the locals they are trying to influence.

2. Cultural change won't happen overnight, no cultural change does, but combined with providing social structure changes (the government providing essential services) and providing adequate security measures for the population so the terrorists/thugs can't coerce them, then it should facilitate moving us in the right direction and further separating the thug/terrorist from the population.

This reminds me of a case study (sort of) that was either in the book "The Tipping Point" or "Freakonomics" where the KKK was significantly undermined by a cartoon or comic series that made the KKK look like the joke that they were. According to the author this popular comic/cartoon series caused kids to make fun of the KKK when they were playing, which Dad noticed, so Dad decided that being in the KKK was no longer really cool. All effects in this area are temporary, but apparently it seriously degraded the KKK.

If our allies around the world could help us change the narrative, so Al Qaeda Network's message is perceived as illegimate that would take the wind out of their sails, and then we could gradually dismantle the remaining network overtime, instead of trying to counter a rising tide. This must be the primary effort, using our lets deploy and kick their butt approach only helps feed their narrative that we are waging war against Islam. Take the wind out of their sails, then quietly finish off their hard core believers, then we can focus on other problems.

Of course the response is, "O.K. genius how do we do that"? I don't know, ask the PSYOPers, they don't have anything better to do. :)

marct
02-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Hi Bill,

1. It appears to be culturally appropriate, so the audience "should" be receptive. The key is it is offensive in nature, so it puts the thugs/terrorists on the defensive with the audience they are trying to influence. We we are undermining their narrative and painting them as the bad guys (that shouldn't be too hard, but somehow until now we seemed to failed at this) to the locals they are trying to influence.

Actually, I think I'm going to disagree with you slightly. I don't think the key is that is is (or should be) "offensive" in nature so much as it should be a) an accurate representation of their actions and b) offer an alternate, although still within the cultural matrix, interpretation.

Your KKK examples is excellent - one of the things that seems to hold true is that no extremist "true believer" can laugh at themselves :wry:. Laughter (and ridicule via comedy) can be one of the strongest "attacks" made against an interpretive system. Part of the problem, though, is that it is very difficult to laugh at yourself (takes practice, of which I think I've had too much :cool:). Laughing at yourself and your own stumbling attempts can be one of the best ways to paint your opponent as an uncaring ideologue.

Here's a link to a CBC article (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/dubai.html) that really goes into some interesting details on the dangers of cross-cultural humour.

If our allies around the world could help us change the narrative, so Al Qaeda Network's message is perceived as illegimate that would take the wind out of their sails, and then we could gradually dismantle the remaining network overtime, instead of trying to counter a rising tide. This must be the primary effort, using our lets deploy and kick their butt approach only helps feed their narrative that we are waging war against Islam. Take the wind out of their sails, then quietly finish off their hard core believers, then we can focus on other problems.

In short, Yup. The final presentation of the day (I'm at the Stability Ops and State Building conference right now) was by MG Jeffrey Schloesser on the 101st (Air Assault)'s upcoming deployment to Afghanistan. Very nicely thought out approach with a population centric approach and a very acute awareness of the need to develop strong ties with both the Afghan Government and the local population. I'm hoping that either he or some of his officers will be willing to share their experiences here, since they appear to be aiming at the "lived reality" part of narratives.

Marc

Of course the response is, "O.K. genius how do we do that"? I don't know, ask the PSYOPers, they don't have anything better to do. :)

LOLOL - Hmmm, why not just hire Mohamed Henedi as a creative consultant :D?

Marc

Billy Ruffian
02-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Ah. I have a soft spot in my heart for 'funny books.'

As I recall, one of my anthropology profs once told me over drinks that during WWII, several comic books were issued to US forces in the Pacific theatre, depicting American soldiers interacting with the indigenous populations of the territories they liberated, in part to educate them on cultural taboos that existed.

Apparently it was done in the comic format because it was; appealing to look at, easy to understand, didn't require a high standard of literacy and was relatively cheap to mass-produce.

Comics have often been overlooked as a 'juvenile' or 'low' artform ever since they were first published, but as this clearly shows, you can't beat a well-written and reasonably well drawn comic book.

SteveMetz
02-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Ah. I have a soft spot in my heart for 'funny books.'

As I recall, one of my anthropology profs once told me over drinks that during WWII, several comic books were issued to US forces in the Pacific theatre, depicting American soldiers interacting with the indigenous populations of the territories they liberated, in part to educate them on cultural taboos that existed.

Apparently it was done in the comic format because it was; appealing to look at, easy to understand, didn't require a high standard of literacy and was relatively cheap to mass-produce.

Comics have often been overlooked as a 'juvenile' or 'low' artform ever since they were first published, but as this clearly shows, you can't beat a well-written and reasonably well drawn comic book.

I don't know if they still do, but the U.S. Army was issuing comic books in the 1980s when I was at the Command and General Staff College. Of course, with students like MAJ Odom, we had to do what we could!

Ski
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Preventative Maintenance magazine is still loaded with comics last time I looked.

Bill Moore
02-15-2008, 03:29 PM
The preventive maintenance manual comics are outstanding, and not just because the girls in the magazine are hot, but that doesn't hurt.

Tom Odom
02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know if they still do, but the U.S. Army was issuing comic books in the 1980s when I was at the Command and General Staff College. Of course, with students like MAJ Odom, we had to do what we could!

Those were coloring books and Big Chief tablets

We also got No Doz for certain lecturers :D

As for PM magazine I have one circa 1968 that a close friend sent me from Phu Bai on the "Sweet Sixteen" with an amazingly well endowed blonde about to pop her buttons...

ilots
02-28-2008, 03:56 AM
I don't know, ask the PSYOPers, they don't have anything better to do. :)
Similiar comics have been done in recent years (not to mention previous successes & failures).