PDA

View Full Version : Education in Canada?

Jeff Stonehouse
02-15-2008, 12:49 AM
This may be a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone knew about educational opportunities in Canada at the post-bachelors of arts level on the topics of counter-insurgency and small wars? Specifically, I’m thinking of relevant security studies that will be conducive to a career in the subject. Unfortunately, I cannot take the military route (flat feet and a fiancé) so I’m hoping something like this exists for civilians as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

selil
02-15-2008, 01:39 AM
There are a few canadians on the board at least one is at a conference so be a bit patient.

Norfolk
02-15-2008, 02:00 AM
This may be a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone knew about educational opportunities in Canada at the post-bachelors of arts level on the topics of counter-insurgency and small wars? Specifically, I’m thinking of relevant security studies that will be conducive to a career in the subject. Unfortunately, I cannot take the military route (flat feet and a fiancé) so I’m hoping something like this exists for civilians as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff, try the Centre for Military and Strategic Studies (http://www.cmss.ucalgary.ca/research/core) at the University of Calgary. Their core research areas and who specializes in what are at the link. They also have their own professional journal, the Journal of Military and Strategic Studies (http://www.jmss.org/2008/winter/index2.htm). They offer both a Master of Strategic Studies (MSS) as well as a PhD. But Cowtown is an expensive place to live, so take a really good look at what CMSS offers and make sure it's worth it. Although other universities offer some in the way of this, Calgary is the only place that I know of that is genuinely comprehensive. And it's still moving upward, hasn't fossilized yet.

Rex Brynen
02-15-2008, 03:12 AM
Jeff:

I'll make some general observations about getting into policy work in Canada in this area--send me an email or PM with more information on your situation (citizenship, previous BA, where you are now) and I'll offer some more specific advice (I'm a prof at McGill).

1) There are no COIN-focused programmes in Canada. There are a number of people who do work on related areas (peace and stability operations, civil war, radical mobilization, regional conflicts, etc).

2) Be wary of overspecializing. You almost certainly won't land a position doing this kind of policy work in Ottawa based solely on the title of your degree, but rather your broader range of experiences, networking, work and internship experiences, and so forth.

3) Because of #2, programmes in central Canada have a built-in comparative advantage over programmes further away, because you're far more likely to hear, stumble across, or be thought of for positions as they open up in DND, DFAIT, or the intelligence community. (Many of the positions are, of course, openly advertised via the PSC website, but don't assume that's the only way of landing one.) In Ottawa, NPSIA at Carleton has a good programme in international affairs, and U of Ottawa has done impressive hiring in the last couple of years with regard to peace operations.

4) Don't put all your eggs in this basket--its a very small policy community.

5) Have a look at DND's SDF graduate awards and internship programme, as well as the policy officer recruitment stream (http://www.forces.gc.ca/admpol/).

6) Decide whether you want to work on a terminal MA, or whether you'll consider going on for a PhD. In the latter case, a good disciplinary grounding helps, as does a good school at the MA level.

marct
02-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi Jeff,

Let me echo Rex's comments with one slight modification; I wouldn't overspecialize even if you are looking at a terminal MA. There are just too many options running around, and it really is a small network in Canada. If you are interested in NPSIA at Carleton (I teach there but in a different program), I can put you in touch with some people.

Marc

ritika
04-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I have been 'working in the field' with my camera(s) for years now, and have built quite a wonderful portfolio that has receiver accolades from friends, family, and others not known by me via websites I have posted work. Does anyone know how I could go about getting a scholarship to go to college based on my work, and an art degree of some sort?

marct
04-17-2008, 03:23 PM
H Ritika,

I have been 'working in the field' with my camera(s) for years now, and have built quite a wonderful portfolio that has receiver accolades from friends, family, and others not known by me via websites I have posted work. Does anyone know how I could go about getting a scholarship to go to college based on my work, and an art degree of some sort?

That would depend on a lot of things like where you are, what degree(s) you already have, etc.

Marc